20” or 22” wheels

Just purchased our 2019 Suburban LT Midnight Edition with Max Trailering package and 20 inch wheels. I’m planning on replacing the wheels with the factory 22 inch 6 spoke wheels and tires. Was wondering if it will affect the ride quality, handling and gas mileage.thanks for the input 

1 hour ago, O2_Stat said:

Just purchased our 2019 Suburban LT Midnight Edition with Max Trailering package and 20 inch wheels. I’m planning on replacing the wheels with the factory 22 inch 6 spoke wheels and tires. Was wondering if it will affect the ride quality, handling and gas mileage.thanks for the input 

20 yrs of driving oversize tires on GM Fullsize SUVs, 22s ride nice for straightline driving.  Fast lane or big city driving, 20.  Better turn radius, 20.  Ride quality, 20 has more rubber to absorb some of the bumps plus they work great with your LT suspension.  Gas mileage difference won't be significant.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Zip said:

20 yrs of driving oversize tires on GM Fullsize SUVs, 22s ride nice for straightline driving.  Fast lane or big city driving, 20.  Better turn radius, 20.  Ride quality, 20 has more rubber to absorb some of the bumps plus they work great with your LT suspension.  Gas mileage difference won't be significant.  

I live in Southern California and our freeway and streets here sucks. 

14 minutes ago, O2_Stat said:

I live in Southern California and our freeway and streets here sucks. 

Ride quality, gas mileage, and handling from 20 to 22 would all be insignificant, if you lived in Central Ca.  Nice, well maintained, straightline roads.  But in SoCal, I agree with your assessment.  Use this truck as an occasional hauler vs a daily driver, you should be ok going from 20 to 22.

6 minutes ago, The Zip said:

Ride quality, gas mileage, and handling from 20 to 22 would all be insignificant, if you lived in Central Ca.  Nice, well maintained, straightline roads.  But in SoCal, I agree with your assessment.  Use this truck as an occasional hauler vs a daily driver, you should be ok going from 20 to 22.

This will be my daily driver, picking up kids, our bulldog and doing pretty much everything 

You got it Stat.  You're driving in SoCal and it's not like the difference between 20 and 24.  From what you mentioned, the only significant thing for a daily driver truck that size is gas mileage as compared to CA gas costs.  So find the best routes and let AFM do it's job.

• 2 weeks later...

The key is "good" tires. There is no real difference in ride as long as you have good tires. Bridgstones have very hard sidewalls and are not a compliant tire. I swapped to Michelin defenders and it transformed my truck. A very compliant, smooth tire in comparison. So it's not just size it's type of tire also when people are going you an opinion. I live where its smooth and flat no potholes. If I lived in NY or NJ  I would want 20" just for the reason of more sidewall as low profile tires and potholes usually end up with bent rims and pinched sidewalls.