Largest 20" tire with no level or lift?

I'm sure it's been asked, but I did not see what I was looking for in a search. 

I would like like to get some new tires, leaning towards KO2s or Duratracs. My current tire size is 275/55/20. How large can I go without problems, 285/65? Or should I just go a little taller at 275/65?  I'm not as concerned with going wider as I am taller to fill out the wheel well better. 

This would be for my 2018 Sierra. 

Edited by SouthpawHD

This specific question is asked regularly and responses vary depending on what steps you are willing to go to prevent rubbing.  I did a lot of research on this topic as I do like the look of larger tires.  I soon realized that the most efficient and capable tires for my truck are found in my stock size.  Increasing height will not enhance economy, power, or hauling ability.  275/55/20 was a huge tire up until recently.  My '00 Silverado had 235 width stock and my '09 Sierra had 245 width stock.

Stopped over at Custom Offsets - they only seem to care about complete builds, far to busy to help me and another guy who stopped in with just tires. Suggested I call them instead.

So I called them, was told I could go a 33" tire with a leveling kit, so that means 275/60/20 tire.  But they are booked out several months and I am not sure I can find anyone locally able to do these things.

5 hours ago, 14 gmcl83 said:

I just had installed 275/60/20 k02 and all I have is a level kit 2 inch on the front , I should of went 34s with how

much room I have but oh well. A 33 should fit no issue even with no level .

From what I've been learning, you have the aluminum UCAs, which are different than the stamped UCAs of more recent models.

This whole process is overwhelming.  One minute I want a 1" lift and stock size tires to not lose MPGs and then the next minute I want a 2" life and 33" tires.  And then I realize I maybe shouldn't have gotten rid of my 3/4 ton if I'm going to spend money on a lift. Argh.

Just now, SouthpawHD said:

This whole process is overwhelming.  One minute I want a 1" lift and stock size tires to not lose MPGs and then the next minute I want a 2" life and 33" tires.  And then I realize I maybe shouldn't have gotten rid of my 3/4 ton if I'm going to spend money on a lift. Argh.

Go big, and get it out of your system.  4.5" CST lift! 

When I got my first 4x4, I drove it stock for a year, and dragged the skid plates every time I went off road.  I skipped the leveling kit, and went right to a 4" subframe lift.  I did not regret it.

Now, on my second truck, the lifted truck thing is mostly out of my system.  I'm going to stay with stock sized tires, unless I decide I need to make a habit out of driving places my truck does not have enough stock ground clearance to go. 

50 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

Go big, and get it out of your system.  4.5" CST lift! 

When I got my first 4x4, I drove it stock for a year, and dragged the skid plates every time I went off road.  I skipped the leveling kit, and went right to a 4" subframe lift.  I did not regret it.

Now, on my second truck, the lifted truck thing is mostly out of my system.  I'm going to stay with stock sized tires, unless I decide I need to make a habit out of driving places my truck does not have enough stock ground clearance to go. 

I really started this just wanting a little more ground clearance and some more aggressive tires.  I was soon disappointed to learn that a slightly taller tire could not be had without some sort of leveling kit.

I don't drive anywhere very extreme, that's what the ATV is for.  But I still tow my camper 2x per year and the boat about 4x per year, so can't go too extreme.

1 hour ago, draperfish said:

I put BFG AT KO2 275/60r20's on mine, no rubbing or mods. Don't know if I could go any bigger without rubbing. 

IMG_9771.jpg

And you did that with no level kit? Strange as it just adds more confusion because most of what I've read says you need a level to run tires that size. For sure I would get those tires if I knew I could without a level. 

1 hour ago, SouthpawHD said:

And you did that with no level kit? Strange as it just adds more confusion because most of what I've read says you need a level to run tires that size. For sure I would get those tires if I knew I could without a level. 

No level kit, 100% stock Z71 1500 CrewCab. If I turn the front wheels full right or left there's about 1/4 or so of clearance with the wheel well liner. I haven't seen any signs of rubbing. Picture is the clearance with the wheel fully turned.

Rear Wheel.jpg

• Like 1