Updated - GM To Eliminate Some Car Models - Focus On EVs - Close Some Plants

Gorehamj

17 hours ago, j-ten-ner said:

I had a little chat with a few Canadians. They aren't really pleased about this dick-move by GM.

As I know the Canadians, GM will loose quite a bit of sales up North.

so long

j-ten-ner

Here are a few facts about Canada that very few Americans know about Canada.

More people live in the state of California (39 million) than the whole country of Canada (38 million). Hard to believe for the second largest country in the world. Only Russia is bigger in land mass.

More vehicles (every make) are sold every year in California than the whole country of Canada!

So over all Canada's population is only .05% of the population of the world. 

Canada is small potatoes is the world of the auto sales business.

1 hour ago, Likarok said:

Here are a few facts about Canada that very few Americans know about Canada.

More people live in the state of California (39 million) than the whole country of Canada (38 million). Hard to believe for the second largest country in the world. Only Russia is bigger in land mass.

More vehicles (every make) are sold every year in California than the whole country of Canada!

So over all Canada's population is only .05% of the population of the world. 

Canada is small potatoes is the world of the auto sales business.

Yeah, but it's a great place to go fishin'.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

Yeah, but it's a great place to go fishin'.   

Our ratio of lakes to people is very good.  lol

This little diddy sums up some of the key differences between Canada and the US of A.

And for fun, here's one more.

• Like 3

Yeah our Beer is way better! Get Pissed Quick! hahaha

But the US stuff is way cheaper. Ours has the shit taxed out of it like most things in Canada! 

Enjoying 98cent a bottle beer right now in Mesa!

18 hours ago, SILVER SLED said:

“It’s stupid to make and try and sell things people don’t want” 

Silver Sled

;)

You seem to be under the impression that once a manufacturing facility start producing one product it can't be transitioned to another product. GM could very easily retool to produce another product. Keeping people employed. 

But now with a very small percentage of manufacturing happening in Canada (only the Equinox, a pretty shitty product in a saturated market), what's the incentive to for people to buy their products? Aside from the Corvette, Camaro and (until 2019) the trucks, GM doesn't have anything to worth offering. 

16 minutes ago, Daly said:

You seem to be under the impression that once a manufacturing facility start producing one product it can't be transitioned to another product. GM could very easily retool to produce another product. Keeping people employed.  

This is pretty cool. Retooling a plant for the next product cycle is no more of a deal than the retool for another product. It's the backbone of auto manufacturing and has been since Henry built on an assembly line. 

• Like 1

I find it completely IRONIC that the majority of Truck owners in here specifically the ones along the I-10 and the Southwest US claim to buy American no matter what when their own Truck (CrewCabs) is made and assembled in Mexico. Like look at that gorgeous satin sticker say Hecho en Mexico via GM. 

With exception to the Double Cab and northern GM truck Owners, FT.Wayne and non-Mexican assembly lines thank you a lot. Still though, roughly a considerable amount of non-US parts make it on these models too. Now I can understand Electronics coming from Asia, but the essential parts, that is a shame that GM still chooses foreign. 

Seriously, if the majority of Truck buyers in America truly cared to buy a majority American made vehicle they should opt for a Ford F-150, or a Toyota Tundra. Not sure where the new Ram's are being made, but the HEMI's are all from Mexico. 

If you're going to be an American Automotive Company that values its bread and butter, (Especially under TRUMP), you damn well should value the country and the workers that bailed you out not that long ago. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daly said:

I’m very aware a production plant can be retooled. What makes you think I don’t?

I’m optimistically hoping GM closed these plants strictly based on current model car sales.  I’m also hoping maybe these plants will be retooled soon for something.   

Edited by SILVER SLED

Retooling a plant ain’t cheap.

As one example, Chrysler recently spent $1.5 billion to retool a plant to shift production from the 200 sedan, to Ram 1500 trucks.

Since overall vehicle sales are strong even tho car sales aren’t, let’s hope at least some of this excess capacity can be used for future crossover/suv/truck production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think they should remake the Chevelle or Nova. Do like Dodge did with the Challenger and make it look old school/og style but everything else up to today’s standard. GM needs to come up with something that will sell other than ****ing around trying to come back out with the Blazer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

They'd just f@*$ it all up using 3rd-world, low-bidder parts ... then of course, sell the pile of dung at top-dollar.  People wouldn't find out how much they got ripped off, since these cars only get taken out on sunny summer days, until many years later.

10 years down the road when the car is just hitting 30k and everything is failing, and GM is LONG since out of business, reality hits ...

I really shouldn't be giving GM any ideas, since they're in financial trouble now ... AGAIN ... :uhoh:

I think I called this one years ago, when the gushing reports were coming out about how great GM was doing, and how sales were higher than ever. I called B/S on that report. Turns out, my gut feeling was right on the money. No company that is doing well would steal from their customers like a desperate junkie ...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mikedeezxxx said:

I think they should remake the Chevelle or Nova. Do like Dodge did with the Challenger and make it look old school/og style but everything else up to today’s standard. GM needs to come up with something that will sell other than ****ing around trying to come back out with the Blazer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell no, seeing what the hell they did with the Blazer... Let those cars rest in peace and let their legacy be untarnished 

• Like 2