Updated - GM To Eliminate Some Car Models - Focus On EVs - Close Some Plants

Gorehamj

Mary and the Board of Directors seem to be hooked on electric! Actually I am not sure the current electric infrastructure can even support even a 25% shift to electric. Especially in the winter States and Canada. In Alberta when we have a cold snap they announce not to turn on your dryer, stove and other major electrical devices on for fear of having a brown out. How in the hell are we going to plug in a bunch of electric cars?  

• Like 1

Climate change...

Some say it is a recurring process. It happened in the past and will happen again. By natural causes.
Others say that humanity is the cause.
However, it is not a bad idea to take our contribution out of the equation and go from there.
Another reason for Germany to go this way is to be independent, at least as much as possible.
Drastic changes can hurt. And Germany has made mistakes in the implementation of the "Energiewende". But one can only learn from it and other countries can benefit from the experience.

so long

j-ten-ner

Everything was going great there  ... until I read, "climate change".  :sick: 
Reality really sucks when you are stuck in the past.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mary and the Board of Directors seem to be hooked on electric! Actually I am not sure the current electric infrastructure can even support even a 25% shift to electric. Especially in the winter States and Canada. In Alberta when we have a cold snap they announce not to turn on your dryer, stove and other major electrical devices on for fear of having a brown out. How in the hell are we going to plug in a bunch of electric cars?  

What would you have them do?

Carmakers resisted EVs as long as they could.
The ICE is being mandated out of existence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 hours ago, PMurray said:

Reality really sucks when you are stuck in the past.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

:lol: :lol: :lol: We've got ourselves a genuine moonbat on the forum! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys are entertaining! Got any more good ones? ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, j-ten-ner said:

Climate change...

Some say it is a recurring process. It happened in the past and will happen again. By natural causes.
Others say that humanity is the cause.
However, it is not a bad idea to take our contribution out of the equation and go from there.
Another reason for Germany to go this way is to be independent, at least as much as possible.
Drastic changes can hurt. And Germany has made mistakes in the implementation of the "Energiewende". But one can only learn from it and other countries can benefit from the experience.

so long

j-ten-ner

I think the whole thing is a giant scan designed to steal money from one group of people, and give it to another. You and I are part of the group getting ripped off.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Likarok said:

Not to mention batteries and extreme cold do not go well together.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

They'd just f@*$ it all up using 3rd-world, low-bidder parts ... then of course, sell the pile of dung at top-dollar.  People wouldn't find out how much they got ripped off, since these cars only get taken out on sunny summer days, until many years later.

10 years down the road when the car is just hitting 30k and everything is failing, and GM is LONG since out of business, reality hits ...

I really shouldn't be giving GM any ideas, since they're in financial trouble now ... AGAIN ... :uhoh:

I think I called this one years ago, when the gushing reports were coming out about how great GM was doing, and how sales were higher than ever. I called B/S on that report. Turns out, my gut feeling was right on the money. No company that is doing well would steal from their customers like a desperate junkie ...

This is that happened last time they brought back an old muscle car name. 

04887981-DCC5-4D2A-AD05-B6B6E8C8F8DE_1.j

Edited by rkj__
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Likarok said:

I agree completely.  It will be a long time before a Mary Barra special EV can drive from Thunder Bay to Kapuskasing in the middle of February.  Ya sure don't see many of them fancy fast charging stations once you leave the southern cities. 

In Ontario, the politicians are really struggling with the whole electrical thing.  They shut down the coal plants, add a pinch of green energy, then rates get out of control.  So, the government introduces a "pay less now, pay even more later" plan.  I don't see signs of them investing enough in infrastructure improvements to support a massive shift to support electric vehicles replacing gas powered vehicles. 

One would think that when ever a new fueling station opens up or is remodeled that they would put a couple charging stations  in.  But that makes to much sense so it will never happen.  The  infrastructure is a long way from being where it needs to be to support EV, at least that is how I see it. 

12 hours ago, mikedeezxxx said:

I think they should remake the Chevelle or Nova. Do like Dodge did with the Challenger and make it look old school/og style but everything else up to today’s standard. GM needs to come up with something that will sell other than ****ing around trying to come back out with the Blazer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You actually can thank Ford and the 05 Mustang for this. If it had fell flat on it's face there wouldn't be a Challenger or Camaro.

The number 10 GT sold at the dealership way back in 2005.

My Mustang never thought it would ever wind up on a GM forum. Yes I still own it, looks good next to my 2018 Silverado.

2005 GT Mustang back.jpg

Edited by sheepdawg
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, sheepdawg said:

You actually can thank Ford and the 05 Mustang for this. If it had fell flat on it's face there wouldn't be a Challenger or Camaro.

The number 10 GT sold at the dealership way back in 2005.

My Mustang never thought it would ever wind up on a GM forum. Yes I still own it, looks good next to my 2018 Silverado.

2005 GT Mustang back.jpg

It honestly goes to show what ever Ford introduces first, the competitors follow suit lately. Ford releases the Raptor, GM does the ZR2 & AT4, Ram does the Rebel. Ford puts a step in its tailgate, GMC puts one 7-8 years later. Ford unveils it’s newest GT, GM soon starts to test out the Mid Engined Corvette. Ford puts adaptive cruise on its trucks, Ram follows, but GM well they’re too focused on making the whole Cadillac lineup to appeal to the millennial feminist.  

Now im not saying GM hasn’t initiated some first like a step in the bumper (which you can get with 3rd party manufactures), or the cylinder  deactivation, or stabilitrak, but nothing big like a performance option has came from them. If they’re trying to cater to the loyalist like their whole campaign was on the new Silverado, (hence the lackluster interior which honestly suits me fine) then they kinda fulfilled the job of “if it’s not broke don’t fix it”. You see how this backfired when you look at the evolutionary design of the Ram. 

But, after that bail out , can you blame GM for being afraid of being radically first to the show? They’re stuck, it’s a bad battle, and certainly shutting down the US/Canada factories was a poor option, but keeping foreign ones open wasn’t a good choice either.