1 hour ago, Ozer said:

I wonder how it would sound? Like a fart can civic i used to own back in the day?

LOL, yeah it's definitely not going to produce a sound I'd want to amplify, that's for sure! :lol:

42 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Yes, I attended this school!  The sound and size of my Harley SuperGlide makes me smile every time I push the starter!  It has twice the cubic inches of my previous Honda 750 and is much more fun (imo) to ride.  However, I would find it a challenge to defend the functionality or durability of one over the other.  I like the sound and character of an old V8 and for these reasons I can agree there is no replacement for cubic inches.  However, this L4 is producing power that exceed our beloved V8's of the past.  

With comparably very little work, any V8 will CRUSH this force-fed 4-banger, even naturally aspirated. It takes MUCH more work and $$$ to get a 4-banger to V8 levels.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a V8 easily churning out 400 ft.lbs. of torque, rather than a 4-cylinder screaming to the moon and working it's butt off. Simple physics will tell you which one has a better chance of reaching 400k miles.

3 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

LOL, yeah it's definitely not going to produce a sound I'd want to amplify, that's for sure! :lol:

With comparably very little work, any V8 will CRUSH this force-fed 4-banger, even naturally aspirated. It takes MUCH more work and $$$ to get a 4-banger to V8 levels.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a V8 easily churning out 400 ft.lbs. of torque, rather than a 4-cylinder screaming to the moon and working it's butt off. Simple physics will tell you which one has a better chance of reaching 400k miles.

One of the reviews I read reported that the sound was better than expected.  The power is achieved at relatively low rpms and I don't get the impression that it will be screaming to the moon.  We can only speculate based on our own points of reference and I hope this new engine proves to surpass expectations. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

...With comparably very little work, any V8 will CRUSH this force-fed 4-banger, even naturally aspirated. It takes MUCH more work and $$$ to get a 4-banger to V8 levels.

I don't think that it was the intention to have the 2.7 at V8 levels (although it is).

The focus is on good efficiency in the environment which most of the trucks are used in. Daily driver to work, grocery getter and recreational use.

I had a hard time to wrap my head around it that a small engine with big power output will last.

But as in the original post stated, the materials used in this engine and the way it is designed is getting close to that of a diesel engine. So far, everyone is confident that a diesel can outlive any gas engine because of its design.

The only reason what was holding back gas engines like the little four banger, was the limitations by the compression ratio and the available fuel.

With new technology, like the cooling system, they were able to squeeze more out of what's available on hand.

so long

j-ten-ner

Edited by j-ten-ner
  • Like 1

I agree with everything you said ... BUT ... when GM turns the paper into reality, things usually end up VERY different (Olds 350 diesel  ... cough cough ...:D ).  These days, you can BET on that.

Edited by Jsdirt

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, Jsdirt said:

Serious as a heart attack. You actually know people that bought a truck, and want "good mileage" ? :noway:

I'd be one of those guys he knows. :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, j-ten-ner said:

I don't think that it was the intention to have the 2.7 at V8 levels (although it is).

The focus is on good efficiency in the environment which most of the trucks are used in. Daily driver to work, grocery getter and recreational use.

I had a hard time to wrap my head around it that a small engine with big power output will last.

But as in the original post stated, the materials used in this engine and the way it is designed is getting close to that of a diesel engine. So far, everyone is confident that a diesel can outlive any gas engine because of its design.

The only reason what was holding back gas engines like the little four banger, was the limitations by the compression ratio and the available fuel.

With new technology, like the cooling system, they were able to squeeze more out of what's available on hand.

so long

j-ten-ner

Appears the evolution of the gasoline engine continues.  Check out what Mazda is up to.  Gasser without spark plugs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4770588/Mazda-announces-breakthrough-long-coveted-engine-technology.html

btw, concerning the best sounding engine;  I nominate the old flathead V-8 Ford engine with glass packs, preferably burned out, lol!  Loved that sound, especially when I would wrap my 51up in second gear then let off the gas.  I would do that to let my sweetie know I’m just about at her house.  But, I digress, sorry 😏...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fyi, while googling for info on the Mazda engine came across this.

https://jalopnik.com/what-its-like-to-ride-in-a-car-with-the-camless-engine-1529865968

Let’s see....  we have electric fuel pump, electric water pump, electric power steering,  no spark plugs, no cam shaft next?  Lots of possibilities with engine design, power, emissions, etc, with cam’less engine  for sure....

I can recall that concept being discussed in Cycle World magazine over 20 years ago. There was a brilliant engineer who used to write articles for them every month - forget his name (I should know this ...). I remember him discussing what bikes of the future would be like, and pneumatic valves were one of the first things he talked about. Variable valve timing was another - I remember how far fetched that all sounded ...  and now, Kia's have VVT! Pneumatic valves have been used in Formula 1 racing for quite a while now. Think they had them back then, 20 + years ago if I'm not mistaken. 

They should just bring back the 2-stroke engine. The technology is there to keep the treehuggers happy. Look at the Evinrude E-Tec outboard - that's probably the most advanced 2-stroke engine on the planet. Just imagine the power a V8 2-stroke would put out. Even a V6. Most truck engines today are needing major engine work before, or by 100k miles, so rebuilding one at 100k wouldn't be that big of a deal. I can tell you it would be half the cost, or less to do so! The tech is probably there to make them go even longer today. The engine would weigh HALF of a regular V8, and put out twice the power. Force-feed that, and the potential is endless. No more oil changes to forget about and ruin the engine either. Could have an oil fill nozzle right under the fuel door with the gas tank's nozzle, and a little chime, or flashing LED to remind the person fueling (along with dashboard reminders) to add 2-stroke to the tank.

I'm dreaming. Must be because I watched Jay Leno's latest video, lol - what a great sound!

2 hours ago, Snoringbear said:

Appears the evolution of the gasoline engine continues.  Check out what Mazda is up to.  Gasser without spark plugs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4770588/Mazda-announces-breakthrough-long-coveted-engine-technology.html

btw, concerning the best sounding engine;  I nominate the old flathead V-8 Ford engine with glass packs, preferably burned out, lol!  Loved that sound, especially when I would wrap my 51up in second gear then let off the gas.  I would do that to let my sweetie know I’m just about at her house.  But, I digress, sorry 😏...

I can't imagine how they are going to keep that thing from detonating to pieces. Guaranteed it will need the highest octane available at the pump.

Reading further, it did say that it still uses spark plugs, but they'd only be used under certain conditions.

Why aren't any American manufacturers coming up with this kind of innovation? We used to be the kings of this type of thing back in the day ... :(

Edited by Jsdirt

8 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

I can recall that concept being discussed in Cycle World magazine over 20 years ago. There was a brilliant engineer who used to write articles for them every month - forget his name (I should know this ...). 

I think the guy your trying to recall was named 'Gordon Jennings'

Think I still have some of his work hidden away somewhere. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

17 hours ago, Donstar said:

Yes, I attended this school!  The sound and size of my Harley SuperGlide makes me smile every time I push the starter!  It has twice the cubic inches of my previous Honda 750 and is much more fun (imo) to ride.  However, I would find it a challenge to defend the functionality or durability of one over the other.  I like the sound and character of an old V8 and for these reasons I can agree there is no replacement for cubic inches.  However, this L4 is producing power that exceed our beloved V8's of the past.  

Every motor produces more H.P. than years past.

My 93 5.7 L TBI was 200 H.P.

I guess I'm V8 addicted.

:)

After reading the entire article about this new 2.7 L I hope it performs and lasts as they say it will.

Time will tell.

Really doesn't matter to me because my 2012 will be my last truck unless it gets totaled. Unlikely because I have never totaled a vehicle. 

I also like the V8 due to living in the mountains.

Running empty it's not a big deal, but towing it is to me.

Towing my boat to the lake is 100 miles round trip.

Lots of elevation changes, curves all momentum killers.

The displacement and technology of the 5.3 works for me.

I towed my boat with my 93 for a lot of miles in Colorado and the west and this 5.3 was a big upgrade.

Would a 6.2 be better? Maybe not better but faster up hill.

Wife's uncle says anybody can go fast down hill.

The thing is if your happy with any vehicle you own that's all that matters.

:)

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

Really doesn't matter to me because my 2012 will be my last truck unless it gets totaled.

I've owned a pickup since I bought my then 2year old '69 F100.   My '09 Sierra was to be my last truck according to my wife.  Her complaint was the operating cost of using a pickup as a DD.   She wasn't too pleased when I whined my way into a '15.  The difference in fuel costs between a Vortec and Ecotec is dramatic and  very noticeable.  The interior of the newer trucks is also a vast improvement.  Also, 3yrs of B to B warranty is a bonus.  I understand the economy of keeping a truck for several years,  but there are some cost efficiencies when buying new, imo.

I think that depends on where you live. Here in MA, you ALWAYS lose buying new. Between depreciation the minute it rolls off the lot, to higher insurance premiums because it's new, to sales and annual excise taxes based on it's value, it's a losing proposition no matter how you slice it.  It's a rich-man's game here, with loaded trucks selling for $66k PLUS.

On top of that, in 12 years or less, it will be a pile of rusted out scrap. If you somehow manage to keep the body alive, the electrical gremlins will have you pulling your hair out.

Edited by Jsdirt

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ThomCannell

Thom Cannell
      Contributor, GM-Trucks.com
      March 7th, 2019

Heavy Duty trucks mirror the contest for market domination in light duty trucks.  This year both GM and Ford announced significant upgrades to the engines powering their all new 2500 and 3500 HD trucks as each company upgraded their diesel engine, and delivered new gas engines.

At GM, the launch event centered on Chevrolet, who brought in truck writers from every segment—popular to fleet management—to Flint, Michigan’s Flint Truck Plant. Flint is the original home of General Motors trucks and the spiritual and historical home of the UAW. So, Flint Truck Plant is receiving an all-new facility constructed and designed for just HD trucks, with the former truck assembly areas destined for warehousing and future projects.

New L8T 6.6-Liter Gas Engine
      We first spoke to Mike Kociba, a GM engineer and part of the Small Block team to learn about the new 6.6-liter V-8 engine we'd been anticipating.

Mike told us the new motor “is a marriage of the six-liter it replaces and an upgrade in technology levels to Gen 5 architecture.” A careful look will disclose similarities in key areas where GM has maximized their experience with the six-liter’s durability and improvements in performance levels derived from Gen 5 architecture.  “Specifically, new here is the gray cast-iron block which is unique for this application, hyper-eutectic purpose-built pistons for this application and heavy-duty requirements, forged powdered-metal connecting rods, and a forged steel crankshaft,” Mike continued.

The most significant change is the addition of Direct Injection. It’s all new, an industry first for the heavy-duty market and new to GM trucks. “When we added DI, we took the roughly 400 KPa fuel pressure from the low-pressure pump and dialed it up to roughly about 15 mPa for engine operation under key conditions,” Mike continued. “That allows us to increase compression ratio, now 10.8:1 using regular fuel. Without DI you're not going to hit those numbers without  losing a lot of spark efficiency. With those additions, and the six millimeter longer stroke, that gets us up to 6.6-liters.”

“That suite of changes allows us to hit class-leading gasoline engine torque, at 464 foot-pounds at a lower engine speed than the outgoing six-liter was optimized for. I'm proud of its 401 horsepower, which is SAE Certified, no games, legitimate.  This (engine) is purpose-built to crank out those numbers day, after day, after day with no compromise in durability. Customers can have confidence they're going to pull, tow whatever trailer you need.”

There are other new features like an all-new water pump and a massive cooling fan to meet the demands of the HD customer base. New is how the water pump drives the fan through a one-inch shaft using purpose-built bearings to handle loads.  

Another first for HD is a variable-output oil pump. “No mater what the severe operating condition is for the customer, the pump is capable of dialing in more, or less oil pressure regardless the requirement. 

The engine features an aluminum oil pan, nylon 6-6 air intake, and stainless steel exhaust manifolds unique for the Heavy Duty market. That’s because HD market has specific requirements for (fuel) enrichment and these stainless manifolds will meet those requirements. “We have variable dual-equal valve actuation, like on light duty, where intake and exhaust are phased together and controlled through the actuator on the front cover. It's chain driven for accessories.” GM designed this engine specifically for upcoming standards for particulates and NOx emissions standards. “With this architecture we're not just making power and torque, but improved emissions and improved efficiency.” Mike continued.

We noted the massive valves, which Mike said are common with Gen 5 architecture for valve layout and their pushrod technology. “That's how we get this compact shape. When you compare the size of the two engines, they're similar, which is due to the common 4.4-inch bore spacing.”

A unique feature of the new engine is inter-bore cooling. Coolant flows between the Siamesed bores, notably in the upper bores where there’s a tendency to generate higher temperatures. 

“For two-valve technology of course you've got the spark plug, and the fuel injector, splayed outside. To avoid heat, we have the coil mounted directly on the rocker cover and the boot mounted next to the manifold with industry-standard individual coils for each cylinder.”

This is great stuff, we though, but engine development isn’t cheap. So, why a new 6.6-liter when the 6-liter was doing well? 

“We needed to improve to Gen 5 level of technology to be sure (the engine) is capable of delivering on durability requirements. Customers love the convenience of gas, but if you look at the market—for instance trailers with more gadgets and slide-outs—everything is getting heavier. Customers want to be sure they can tow with confidence, no compromises, whether it's fuel economy, power, torque, emissions, efficiency, they don't want to pull up to their neighbor and have to make excuses.

That's what we targeted. No compromises. With the significant technology we put into this engine, it makes segment-leading torque without compromising efficiency or emissions.  Peak torque is at 4,000 rpm, 400 rpm lower than the 6.0-liter. Three things enable the new 6.6-liter's better power output. Direct injection (DI) allows us a higher compression ratio; longer stroke is good for increased torque (but not as good for horsepower as piston speeds are high) and for heavy-duty application where you need torque everywhere it’s why we focused on a longer stroke to get to 6.6-liter displacement. Those changes enabled us to broaden the torque curve, which is up 20% everywhere, for greater work potential.”

We thanked Mike and asked if we’d missed anything. “Small engines with turbochargers allow them peak torque off idle, but for heavy duty we don't want that complexity. For the Heavy Duty segment we (General Motors) have durability requirements—Global Engine Durability—that are unique and very long and stringent requirements. We know customers need 401 horsepower and 464 lb.-ft. of torque today, tomorrow, and every day for years to come with no compromise in durability. 

We know our customers and, if they can't use their truck today, they might not get paid. That's why we focus on durability.”

Brand New HD 6-Speed Transmission

With that in mind, we next spoke to the systems chief engineer for six-speed FWD and RWD transmissions Rich Mardeusz. More power and more torque tend to break an older transmission. So, we wanted to know what changes had been made to the new transmission to carry the additional torque.

“We started with the 6L90 that's in the current HD vehicles and full-sized vans (and ZL-1 Camaro and CTS-V), received the horsepower and torque curves from the engine engineering teams and then performed an analysis of all mechanical components from front to back,” Rich said. General Motors uses specific simulation tools for different parts. “For instance, we have a "gear damage analysis tool" for analyzing the gear set and how much damage it may receive over the life of the vehicle,” Rich told us. The result was a need to improve the torque converter and the clutch pack, which needed to be more robust to accommodate the greater power output of the upgraded 6.6-liter V-8 engine.  

From a clutch pack standpoint, changes were simple, according to the engineer, as there was enough room in the case to add a clutch and one backing plate to each of the clutch packs to handle additional power. When it came to the torque converter, things changed. “We looked at the components from a heavy-duty diesel torque converter and a high-output gas torque converter and then took the torque-carrying components from the diesel and married them to the spring and damping components from the gasoline torque converter. That’s what was needed to accommodate the approximate 22 percent across-the-board torque increase.”

So, the new torque converter can A) handle the added torque of the new engine and B) damp out the firing frequencies from the gasoline engine, which are significantly different from a diesel engine. All of the shafting and gears were able to handle the torque. Interestingly, there is no dipstick. GM has the confidence to eliminate it, and only change fluid at suggest intervals of approximately 100,000 miles, more often for those who mostly tow, or drive over mountains with full loads. Another surprise, the transmission uses GM-spec Dexron VI fluid, GMs standard since 2005, as they found no reason to change.

2019 L5P Duramax 6.6-Liter

Once we’d completed our gas powertrain interviews, we turned to the diesel side of Heavy Duty. We spoke to Max Sala, whose Italian accent tipped us to an affiliation with GM’s diesel engine center of excellence in Turin, Italy. 

Max said that their objective for the new Silverado HD was to increase towing capacity and ensure functionality with the new Allison/GM transmission. Remember, the Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V-8 engine makes 445 hp. and 910 lb-ft of torque. “We added a bigger fan now 28-inches, a bigger oil cooler that is upgraded from 14 plates to 19 plates, and we fine-tuned the cylinder head gasket” Next up were improvements to the engine-brake capacity, taking into consideration towing capacity. “It’s better by 14-percent and we introduced smart activation of the engine brake,” Max continued, “There's still a button for manual activation, but for safety there's automatic activation at certain RPMs.” Under the new control system, the powertrain will recognize any need for the engine brake and activate automatically. For instance in driving down hill and forgetting to shift, the higher RPM means automatic activation. “With that, we have better after-run strategy. Every time you tow uphill, temps rise and you have a message to cool the engine when stopping. If, by chance you forget and close the door, the system cooling system activates automatically for up to 15 minutes to cool the engine for reliability.” 

That isn’t the end of changes, as the engine has been completely recalibrated to match the new 10-speed Allison transmission. “Emissions have been improved and fine-tuned to maintain the best efficiency the transmission can offer to our customers.” With these changes, most importantly, Chevrolet says they are now capable of delivering full torque at any time, in any gear, and that they have done everything to the engine, transmission, driveline, drive shaft and frame to improve strength and durability. “What's important is how safe (the new HD trucks) will be and how comfortable it will be for our customers to drive these huge trailers up, and down hills.” Max concluded.

Allison transmissions have gained a peerless reputation for strength and durability. Adding a 10-speed transmission branded with the Allison name is a great choice. David Ames, now GM assistant chief engineer on the Allison transmission and liaison with Allison, is a former Allison engineer. A natural fit. 

The 10-speed is a collaborative effort with joint development of the analysis, engineering, as well as testing. So, testing was performed at Allison and at GM, each with their own set of rules and test regimes. “We go back and forth”, David told us. “Today we have a ratio-span of five and this transmission has a span of 7.2, so the new 10-speed provides both more overdrive and a lower first gear.”

We asked about the projects’ starting point. “We (at GM) come out with a "here's what we're looking for" and we begin an internal development contract. It was a pretty clean sheet of paper. So, the controls on the bottom are from a smaller 10-speed, some pieces and parts, but not the entire controls package. For the most part, it's all new to handle the increased power and much larger torque. 

We collaborated with Allison on this transmission (GM does have a 10-speed transmission of its own) which made it necessary to meet their (Allison) design requirements, their analysis requirements, their engineering requirements, as well as our own. 

It's a very compact transmission. If you had a 6-speed for comparison, this more dense, more compact and solid to get ten speeds into a package that would still fit nicely into the vehicle and not take up too much space,” David continued.
      This transmission’s torque converter has a lock-up clutch and is unique in that it will lock up in first gear, even under max loads. So, if you're pulling 33,500 pounds, you can do a first gear launch and lock up right away, which helps get rid of heat. We asked David why this is important. “Normally in first gear you're under high torque and generating a lot of heat, which puts a lot of demand on the cooling system. Locking up gets rid of that heat and the 7.2 ratio gives you a lower first gear. For instance, the six-speed uses a 3.1 first gear and the new transmission has a much lower 4.5 first gear. It's got four planetary gear sets, six clutches and the main place you'll notice the ten speeds, not only in launches and driving with heavier loads—it's very smooth—is going down a grade. Often you're trying to downshift to save brakes and having ten gears you can usually hold the right speed and not feel like you're running over the car in front of you, tapping the brakes or going too slow.”

“Also, we built in the first OEM PTO option. Note that the chain drive to the PTO is engine-speed driven rather than turbine-speed driven, which is important to many commercial customers, and it’s quieter drive than gear driven systems.”

We asked David for an overview of the combined Duramax-Allison package. “For those who need it, it’s a nice package, one we're very proud of because of the outstanding durability. I think we're going to do a better job of putting power to the road than anybody out there. Whatever torque the engine is putting out, it's getting to the road in an accurate way. I think this transmission will be far more durable than people need it to be. Four-five years from now people will understand how durable it is.”

• By Zane

The Merva Brothers
      Founders, GM-Trucks.com
      February 27th, 2019

When you take delivery of a brand new 2019 Silverado, you'll be faced with a few choices beyond which trim level or options you want. You'll also be asked which accessories you want to be installed on your truck before it rolls off the sales floor. Most GM accessories can even be factored into the sale price and financed. So, we're setting off to try out some of these certified accessories that are available for the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado. Our goal is to let you know if they are worth the cash or if you should take a pass. 

We've always loved the look of a blacked out bowtie and the idea of one that lights up seemed too cool to pass up. So we headed to our local dealership and ordered the 2019+ Illuminated & Blacked out front bowtie. Here's how it went and what we think. 

What is it?
      Chevrolet Illuminated Grille Bowtie Emblem in Black
      Part Number: 84069488
      MSRP: $275.00
      Manufacturer Website: https://accessories.chevrolet.com/

Main Features
      Doesn't effect your factory warranty Direct replacement for the standard gold bowtie Same quality as original parts Wiring harness is plug & play and matches factory wiring  

Here's the bowtie and grille as it came from the factory. 

Installation
      The first step to install the illuminated bowtie (or the non-illuminated black bowtie) is to remove the front grille. The grille on our LTZ was easy to take once we understood how it was fastened to the body. The entire process runs around 30 mintues  We'll be covering how to remove the grille on the 2019 Silverado in detail soon. 

A plastic trim removal set makes this process much easier. 

After a little bit of pulling and careful prying, the entire front grille section comes off. Note the grille can be removed without having to take off any body panels or reach under the vehicle. This is a huge improvement over past Silverado generations, which required more disassembly to access the grille mounting hardware. 

The grille is a solid unit. Switching it out with another trim level's grille would be easy at this stage. This is also a good time to clean up the grille. 

To remove the factory bowtie, release four tab clips on the backside of the grille. One is inside of the support post where you will also run the bowtie's wiring harness. 

We popped out the bowtie and cleaned behind it before installing the new one. It was filthy underneath!  

The included wiring harness plugs into the driver's side headlight harness. It then snakes through the radiator opening and clips to the bumper. We found it easier to run the wire through the grille and connect it to bowtie, THEN snap the bowtie to the grille afterwards. Attempting to plug the harness into the bowtie after it is mounted on the grille turns out to be extremely difficult. 

We tested the bowtie to make sure it lit up properly before we attached the grille back onto the truck. 

Our Impressions
      Installation of the illuminated bowtie turned out to be pretty easy provided we used the right tools. Our plastic trim kit was invaluable during the process, allowing us to pry and remove pieces without scratching them. The kit also didn't come with instructions, so make sure to ask your dealer for a set of them when you buy it. They can print it out for you. 

The quality of the bowtie is on par with other factory parts and matches accordingly. The wiring harness looks similar to those already running under the hood giving the final fit a factory feel. 

So while the look and feel of the product is excellent the actual performance of the illuminated bowtie left us wanting more. We expected an illumination effect with a similar brightness to our DRL lighting. Instead, the bowtie glows a dull white at light. During the day or bright sunlight the illumination effect disappears completely. We do appreciate that the color temperature of the bowtie matches the headlights and DRLs. 

The MSRP of $275 is steep for the eventual lackluster performance. Excellent build quality, plug and play performance, a factory look, and no warranty interference offset the price to an extent. 

If you want a quality replacement for your gold bowtie that adds a little more flare to your 2019 Silverado, the Illuminated Black Bowtie could be right for you. If you're looking for a bright centerpiece that stands out with the same intensity as your other lighting, this may not fit your bill. 

• By Zane

Zane Merva
      Executive Editor / Publisher, GM-Trucks.com
      February 18th, 2019

The Daytona 500 is the original great american race. The history, the track, the location, the excitement. Daytona is where NASCAR began and auto racing was changed forever. But this past weekend the 2019 Silverado changed the idea that the "pace car" has to be a car forever too. In 2019 the Silverado was the first truck to ever to pace the Daytona 500. 

Early Sunday morning, right before the big race, we had a chance for a ride in that pace truck around the 2.5 mile tri-oval Daytona track and recorded every second of the experience. Sit back and enjoy!

• By Zane
      Now that owners are taking delivery of the new 2019 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra, I thought a quick reference guide to common routine maintenance items would be beneficial to us all. If you have information that you'd like suggest be added to this topic, just post below and I'll update this first post with any and all new/updated information. 

2019 Chevy Silverado & 2019 GMC Sierra Routine Maintenance Quick Reference Guide
      --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digital Owners Manuals
      2019 Chevrolet Silverado: 2019_Chevy_Silverado_Owners_Manual.pdf
      2019 GMC Sierra: 2019_GMC_Sierra_Owners_Manual.pdf

Oil Changes
      2.7L(L3B)
      Capacity: 6.0 Quarts AC Delco Oil Filter: PF66 / 55495105 Drain Plug Size: TBD  
      5.3L(L84) & 6.2L(L87)
      Capacity: 8.0 Quarts AC Delco Oil Filter: PF63E / 19330000 Drain Plug Size: 15MM or XX Torx  
      Engine Air Filters
      With High Capacity Air Cleaner: A3244C / 84121219 Without High Capacity Air Cleaner: A3246C / 84121217  
      Interior Filters
      Passenger Compartment Air Filter: CF185  
      Wiper Blades
      Drivers & Passenger Sides: 55cm / 21.7 Inches - GM Part Number 23417074  
      Spark Plugs
      2.7L L4: 12688094 / 41-106-IP 4.3L V6: 12622441 / 41-114 5.3L V8 & 6.2L V8: 12622441 / 41-114  
      Fuel Tank Sizes
      Standard / Short Box (Gas & 4WD Duramax): 24 Gallons Standard & Short Box (2WD Duramax): 22 Gallons  
      Automatic Transmission Fluid
      6-Speed: DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid 8-Speed: DEXRON-HP Automatic Transmission Fluid 10-Speed: DEXRON ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid (GM Part Number 19352619/Canada 19352620)  
      Transfer Case Fluid
      All Models: 1.6 Quarts DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid  
      Wheel Lug Nut Torque
      All Models: 140 lb-ft / 190 N-m