Zane

GMCSierraDenaliHD.ud01.KGP.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor / Publisher, GM-Trucks.com

November 26th, 2018

Hot on the heels of the 2020 Silverado HD dropping a significant amount of camo, the 2020 Sierra Denali HD is also stepping out into public wearing a lot less camo than in the past. 

See the 2020 Silverado HD, also with less camo!

Our spy photographer reports:

Hot on the heels of our new shots of a less-disguised Silverado HD, a prototype for the 2020 GMC Sierra HD Denali has dropped its camo for a run on public roads.

The new shots nicely reveal the headlight and grille design for the top-spec Sierra HD, and the similarities and differences with the Sierra 1500 are on display.  The Sierra HD’s face looks more rugged than the light-duty Sierra 1500, with a chunkier grille and headlight treatment.

Just as on the Silverado HD prototype, we can verify that the Sierra will also get the integrated bed step designed into the rear fender, just aft of the cab.  

The Silverado prototype was running with a tailgate only covered in camo wrap, while this GMC Sierra HD prototype still had a vinyl cover draped over its tailgate.  It’s likely that we’ll see a variation of the MultiPro six-way tailgate design that’s unique to the GMC truck range.

GMCSierraDenaliHD.ud01c.KGP.jpg

GMCSierraDenaliHD.ud04.KGP.jpg

GMCSierraDenaliHD.ud09.KGP.jpg

GMCSierraDenaliHD.ud11.KGP.jpg

GMCSierraDenaliHD.ud12.KGP.jpg

See this entire 2020 Sierra Denali HD Spyshot Gallery

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, silveradonationfan15 said:

The sierra 1500 would look a lot nicer if they made the wheel well shape like what the HD is going to be like...

It took years to learn how to chamfer the upper front corner of the 1500's wheel well.  The designers were exhausted, and out of time before they could chamfer the upper rear corner of the wheel well.  They took a nap, and finally re-visited the task on the HDs, and finally made it happen.  lol

Edited by rkj__
  • Haha 1

The wheel well is perfect.  Rounded wheel wells are boring, and really don't help the truck in anyway, aerodymanically or asthetically.  (folks that don't believe that probably had no idea how a golf ball works either...)

I think GMC did right here, making it similar to the 1/2 ton but different enough to make it noticable.

Of what I can see so far looks pretty amazing. Love the step on the side. As much as I love the 6 L for dependability I really hope this generation they are going to put a power plant with more horsepower and torque and better fuel economy.

They need to go back to the 2017 2500 grill and stop trying to get too sexy . They can't make it much better than that. It should look like a masculine vehicle. They definitly need to come with 2-3 inch level/ lifts and 33- 34 inch tires as an option as well without jacking up the price along with a 6.2 engine that runs on regular. This is what I'm waiting for.

16 minutes ago, AlljackedupZ71 said:

Not really a fan at the moment of that side step....

Cosmetically, the front and the rear step don't look super sleek, but I think their usefulness makes them earn their place on the truck. 

5 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

Cosmetically, the front and the rear step don't look super sleek, but I think their usefulness makes them earn their place on the truck. 

Absolutely... I get and understand the use. I personally almost never need access to that part of the bed, since we have trailers and stuff its just easier. But for someone working out of their truck weekly or daily.... I am 100% onboard. My comment is more visual than anything. hahaha. 

Just now, AlljackedupZ71 said:

Absolutely... I get and understand the use. I personally almost never need access to that part of the bed, since we have trailers and stuff its just easier. But for someone working out of their truck weekly or daily.... I am 100% onboard. My comment is more visual than anything. hahaha. 

The front step is not something I am wanting on my tuck (1500), but I see a lot of 2500s with a toolbox in the back, and the top of some of those boxes is near 6ft off the ground. 

The side step  looks bad and there is really no real  logical reason why it is necessary to most people 99% of the time  .  . Maybe they might offer it as an option but not something that is on all of them. I would personally not buy one with it.

Edited by Ky Belser