S P

Who would be interested in a 3.0L Duramax Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon?

I just traded our 2012 BMW X5 diesel (3.0L Inline-6 asymmetrical twin-turbo, 265hp, 425tq) for a 2018 Suburban. The turbodiesel performed brilliantly in that 5200 lb SUV, and you could easily get 26-28 mpg on road trips, and it did north of 20 mpg average in local driving. I've been saying for years that a lot of these mid to large-sized SUVs are just screaming for 6-cylinder class diesel engines, so it's nice to finally see them popping up. I'd love to see this engine be an option in the next gen Suburban/Tahoe and the Yukons. Who else?

• Like 1

I think this would be amazing! I think it’ll be great in the trucks for what it’s supposed to do, get great mileage.  I’m definitely considering this in the truck when they come out so I’ve been keeping my eye on fuel prices and down here in south OK/North TX gas is $0.80-$1.00 cheaper per gallon than diesel. So that great fuel economy is a wash for me at the moment. It’d mainly be for cool/fun factor. I will continue to check fuel prices and look forward to some actual numbers from GM and the EPA.   We should know soon enough

If Diesel were not always so expensive then it would be an awesome idea, but with it being over $3.00 a gallon most of the time even with great fuel economy numbers, it's still not practical in many cases. 

Yeah, economically it might not make sense when you can put regular grade fuel in the 5.3L. Considering the cost of the diesel would most likely be at least a few thousand higher, it might not ever pay off. I wish that weren't the case, because I loved the diesel in my traded X5. The only time I felt like only 265hp wasn't really enough was on two lane country road passing, but otherwise the massive torque yanked you around everywhere just fine.

A twin turbocharged engine is needlessly complex and 3.0 liters is of insufficient size for durability for vehicles exceeding 5000 pounds that are intended to tow.

Having said that, I'm well aware of Ford's offerings and GMs new little diesel. 

Maybe just showing my age, my ancestors raced mid-sized cars with 455 cubic inch engines and I raced their descendants' with 231 cubic inch engines with turbochargers!     

Using my truck as an example, it has a power to weight ratio at GVWR of 23.87:1, that's near 24 pounds per horsepower.  Half that would be a lot more fun!

I think an oil burning Suburban would be a nice addition.  GM came close in 2009-2010 with the stillborn 4.5 Duramax V8 for the Suburban 3/4 ton, but otherwise there hasn't been a factory diesel burb since 1999. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, swathdiver said:

A twin turbocharged engine is needlessly complex and 3.0 liters is of insufficient size for durability for vehicles exceeding 5000 pounds that are intended to tow.

Yeah was thinking the same. It'll be brilliant in the trucks, but losing 75hp in a 6000 lb vehicle is probably going to be a bit much. 

7 hours ago, newdude said:

I think an oil burning Suburban would be a nice addition.  GM came close in 2009-2010 with the stillborn 4.5 Duramax V8 for the Suburban 3/4 ton, but otherwise there hasn't been a factory diesel burb since 1999. 

Just looked that up, apparently would have had 310hp/520tq. That would have been about perfect in a Suburban. Too bad they axed it! 

• Like 1

The most recent generation of diesels reminds me of the 70's-era gas engines, when they had to do a bunch of slap-on engineering to meet emissions requirements.  It took over a decade of clunky fixes, like electronically-controlled carburetors, funky vacuum advance curves, etc., before the OEM's finally managed to start making reliable gas engines again.

Diesels went through the same sort of hack-fest in the mid-2000's, and since then they just seem to have gotten more failure-prone and costly to fix.  As much as I'd like to have a diesel, I don't see myself going that route until I am fully convinced their long-term maintenance and reliability will be comparable to a gas engine.  I don't think we are there yet.  

Yes. It should definitely be an option!

You think it would be offered to help their cafe numbers. 

I had a 3.0l Diesel in my BMW 530d too. Great engine, but relailability... I've got a little less than 100k miles on it, and there was alread been changed:

- The engine itself

- all 6 Injectors

- Fuel Pump

- EGR Valve

- many small sensors

All in all, if the warranty hadn't covered it, it had been a damage from around 25.000 $

Diesel Engines are much more common in europe, where even the smallest cars like smarts etc. have diesel engines. But nowdays, with much stricter emission regulations, they get unrelailable as hell. And cost a fortune to maintain.

Diesel engines are great if kept simple, but tend to fail often if being too complex.

I think diesels make no sense outside of commercial use so I would be a NO... I still don't understand the upside of a diesel in a light duty truck for personal use... At what point does it equal deceased operating costs? They typically tow less than their gas v8 alternative mills so no towing advantage right? Whats the upside? Better MPG sure but, higher fuel, operating and purchase prices cancel that out right?

I know several people who have diesels, the big three. They drive a lot. No problems other than around 200K they get rid of the def.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, movario said:

I had a 3.0l Diesel in my BMW 530d too. Great engine, but relailability... I've got a little less than 100k miles on it, and there was alread been changed:

- The engine itself

- all 6 Injectors

- Fuel Pump

- EGR Valve

- many small sensors

All in all, if the warranty hadn't covered it, it had been a damage from around 25.000 $

Diesel Engines are much more common in europe, where even the smallest cars like smarts etc. have diesel engines. But nowdays, with much stricter emission regulations, they get unrelailable as hell. And cost a fortune to maintain.

Diesel engines are great if kept simple, but tend to fail often if being too complex.

European sports vehicles are fun to drive, no doubt about that, hell my brothers 2000 Audi A4 1.8L T Wagon handles better and is more enjoyable to drive in the mountains than a 2018 Impala or 2019 Camary- but when it comes to cost of maintenance and long term reliability, Asian AND American beats them out almost always. 

Edited by Colossus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Colossus said:

European sports vehicles are fun to drive, no doubt about that, hell my brothers 2000 Audi A4 1.8L T Wagon handles better and is more enjoyable to drive in the mountains than a 2018 Impala or 2019 Camary- but when it comes to cost of maintenance and long term reliability, Asian AND American beats them out almost always. 

No doubt, you need deep pockets to keep the Euro cars on the road... I won't buy anything that's not American or Japanese...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ebonez
      So, My 2009 Yukon Denali throws the "service battery charging system" message on a daily basis. The little red battery light comes on as well and stays on for varying times. The message seems to only come on while the truck is idling or moving at slow speeds (like when I drive down my muddy driveway or stopped at a light). The battery light may be displayed anywhere between 10 seconds to 30 minutes. Performance of the truck doesn't seem to be hurt in any way however the voltage gauge doesn't stay super consistent while driving. I had the old battery checked and replaced shortly after I bought the truck a couple of months back since it had trouble starting. Other daily symptoms include flickering lights and screens while at idle. Yes, the battery cables are corrosion free and securely attached to the battery itself. 

Anyone else experience or have a solution to this issue?

Thanks!

-Eric
    • By Mark Stephens
      Hi
      I have a 2007 Yukon that only starts ticking when I am parked at idle for 5 to 10 min,,,starts then gets loud. Once I rev the engine or start driving it disappears....Had the whole top of motor redone 3 yrs ago by a dealer.....Broke now and wondering if maybe have someone shut off the afm could possibly stop it being it only happens when I am idling
    • By Mark Stephens
      Hi
      I have a 2007 Yukon that only starts ticking when I am parked at idle for 5 to 10 min,,,starts then gets loud. Once I rev the engine or start driving it disappears....Had the whole top of motor redone 3 yrs ago by a dealer.....Broke now and wondering if maybe have someone shut off the afm could possibly stop it being it only happens when I am idling
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      6-11-2019
      Ram revealed the specs for its updated EcoDiesel V6 engine in the 1500 this week. The big news is 480 ft-lb of torque in a light-duty truck. Towing is also very impressive with towing up to 12,560 pounds. Finally, Ram says that it expects to also have class-leading fuel economy from its 3.0-liter turbo-diesel engine-equipped truck. 

"The new Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is America’s most powerful half-ton diesel pickup, following up on Ram’s Heavy Duty torque leadership and achieving what no other manufacturer has, with up to 480 lb.-ft. of torque in a 3.0-liter engine,” said Reid Bigland, Head of Ram Brand. “The all-new EcoDiesel engine and our eTorque mild-hybrid powertrain technologies deliver the highest available fuel efficiency for our Ram 1500 customers.”

Ram says it will also pair its diesel with the only air suspension in the class. Being able to lower the truck at highway speeds will likely help with fuel efficiency.  Ram's new 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 uses dual overhead camshafts (DOHC) with four valves per cylinder and a 60-degree angle between the cylinder banks. The block is cast compacted graphite iron, which Ram says provides strength to dampen vibrations, but weighs less than grey cast iron. Ram uses a compacted graphite iron bedplate to add rigidity to the block. The new EcoDiesel has a forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods for strength and durability. Ram's aluminum alloy pistons are cooled on the underside via oil jets. Heat-treated aluminum cylinder heads have individual bearing caps to reduce friction and minimize NVH. The engine's chain-driven overhead camshafts employ roller-finger followers.

Ram pointed to these specific upgrades as significant: 
      -A new-generation water-cooled turbocharger with variable geometry turbine (VGT) increases efficiency and responsiveness during transient conditions
      -Redesigned cylinder head intake ports improve swirl and flow, increasing performance and fuel economy
      -The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system design has been updated to a dual loop (low and high pressure) system. The added low-pressure circulation system draws gases after the diesel particulate filter, thus minimizing turbocharger energy losses, which increases fuel economy
      -The compression ratio has been optimized to 16.0:1 from 16.5:1
      -High-pressure (29,000 psi/2,000 bar) direct-injection fuel injector nozzles were redesigned to match the newly designed and optimized combustion chamber
      -Lightweight aluminum alloy pistons were completely redesigned to include thinner rings and low-friction coating on the pin and side skirts to reduce losses
      -NVH has been reduced by offsetting piston pin by 0.3 millimeters from the centerline; thus, minimizing mechanical noises
      -The lower portion of the two-piece oil sump uses a lightweight sandwiched polymer/metal material that further reduces NVH
      -The dual vacuum pump system uses electric and a new mechanical low-friction pump with new blades that improve overall system efficiency

Ram will not build this engine in the United States. Rather, it will be produced FCA Cento facility in Ferrara, Italy and imported. Watch for price and fuel efficiency new in about two months. The engine will be available in Ram trucks starting this early winter of 2019 unless it is delayed for emissions testing or other reasons. 

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      6-2-2019
      Pricing
      Chevrolet has just announced its prices and specs for its first-ever inline-six turbo-diesel offered in a Chevy full-size light-duty truck. The all-new 3.0-liter Duramax turbo-diesel will offer class-leading torque and horsepower according to Chevy. First up, pricing. The new Duramax option will be available on LT, RST, LTZ and High Country models. It is priced identically to the 6.2L V-8 option as a $2,495 premium over a 5.3L V-8 model or $3,890 over a 2.7L Turbo model.

Specs
      Next up, specs. The Duramax 3.0-liter engine will generate 460 lb-ft of torque delivering 95 percent of peak torque at just 1,250 rpm. Peak torque is sustained from 1,500 rpm through 3,000 rpm, providing a powerfully smooth and satisfying driving experience. Being a diesel engine, power is low relative to bigger V8 gas engines, but pretty substantial for its displacement at 277 horsepower.

“From the moment the engine is started, to its idle, acceleration and highway cruising, the 3.0L Duramax performance will change perceptions of what a diesel engine can offer in refinement,” said Nicola Menarini, director for Diesel Truck Engine Program Execution. “With advanced technologies that draw on global diesel expertise, it’s a no-compromise choice for those who want the capability and driving range of a diesel in a light-duty truck.”

Design and Technology
      Since the engine is an inline six, it is inherently balanced. There is no need for balance shafts and the engine only requires two cams. Chevy uses a cast aluminum alloy block that provides the strength required to support the high combustion pressures that occur within a diesel engine, while also offering a 25 percent mass savings over a cast iron engine block. Chevy says there are seven nodular iron main bearing caps that help ensure the block’s strength under those high combustion pressures, while also enabling accurate location of the rotating assembly. A deep-skirt block design, where the block casting extends below the crankshaft centerline, also contributes to the engine’s stiffness and refinement. It’s complemented by a stiffness-enhancing aluminum lower crankcase extension attached to the main bearing caps. Chevy went on to add that the rotating assembly consists of a forged steel crankshaft, forged steel connecting rods and hypereutectic aluminum pistons. The alloys in the respective castings for the rods and pistons make them lightweight and durable. Silicon is blended with the aluminum for heat resistance and tolerance within the piston cylinders, which enhances performance and makes the engine quiet. GM used a thick piston crown — the top of the piston — and also a reinforced top ring to add strength to support the high cylinder pressures enabled by turbocharging and the engine’s high 15.0:1 compression ratio. To ensure durability, Iron cylinder liners are employed. “In addition to reduced friction, the architecture enables smooth operation,” Menarini said. “The new Duramax 3.0L elevates the 2019 Silverado with one of the most refined and efficient diesel engines in the segment.”

Here is a quick rundown of some other features of this new engine:
      OHC: Overhead camshafts offer a direct, efficient means of operating the valves, while four valves per cylinder activated by maintenance-free finger followers with hydraulic lash adjusters increase airflow in and out of the engine. This arrangement is integrated on the Duramax 3.0L’s lightweight aluminum cylinder head, which is topped with a lightweight composite cam cover that incorporates the crankcase ventilation and oil separation systems.
      A pair of lightweight, assembled camshafts actuates 28.35 mm diameter (1.12-inch) intake and 24.55 mm diameter (0.97-inch) exhaust valves. The camshaft drivetrain is uniquely located at the rear (flywheel side) of the engine, for greater refinement and packaging considerations for the comparatively long inline-six. A crankshaft-driven chain drives the high-pressure direct-injection fuel pump, while a chain driven by the fuel pump drives both intake and exhaust camshafts. A smaller belt drives the variable flow oil pump from the crankshaft.

Variable geometry turbocharging enables the Duramax 3.0L engine to deliver class-leading horsepower with minimal effect on overall efficiency. The system uses closed loop controlled vanes position and sophisticated electronic controls to automatically adjust boost pressure to the desired value based on engine running conditions and instantaneous power demand. The liquid-cooled turbocharger features a low-friction ball-bearing shaft and is mounted close to the exhaust outlet of the engine for quicker spool-up of the turbine and quicker light-off of the exhaust catalyst. A water-to-air intercooling system produces a cooler higher density air charge for greater power. Maximum boost pressure is 43,5 psi (300 Kpa) absolute.

Low-pressure EGR: The Duramax 3.0L utilizes new low-pressure Exhaust Gas Recirculation to optimize performance and efficiency. The EGR system diverts some of the engine-out exhaust gas and mixes it back into the fresh intake air stream, which is drawn into the cylinder head for combustion. That lowers combustion temperatures and rates.
      Traditionally, EGR systems in diesel applications recirculate exhaust gases between the two high-pressure points, the exhaust manifold(s) and intake manifold. However, it generally requires efficiency-robbing assistance from the turbocharger or other supporting elements to achieve the pressure differential required for sufficient EGR flow rates.
      The new low-pressure system adds to the high-pressure system, supporting continual adjustment of exhaust backpressure for more efficient operation. It recirculates gases between the low-pressure points in the exhaust system (downstream of the particulate filter) and after the compressor inlet.
      When the low-pressure EGR is activated by an electronically controlled valve, the engine burns exhaust gas that has already passed through the particulate filter. That increases the turbocharger’s efficiency, which helps overall vehicle efficiency without deteriorating the rate of particulate matter emitted by the engine.

A variable intake manifold offers dual air intake pathways for each cylinder. Electronically controlled flaps — one for each cylinder — shorten or lengthen the airflow to each cylinder. This optimizes the airflow into the engine and improves performance and responsiveness across the rpm band, particularly at lower engine speeds.

A variable-pressure oiling system with a continuously variable-displacement vane oil pump enhances efficiency by optimizing oil pressure as a function of engine speed and load. With it, the oil supply is matched to the engine requirements rather than the excessive supply of a conventional, fixed-displacement oil pump. The engine uses low-friction Diesel Dexos 0W20 oil.

Oil jets located in the block are employed for performance and temperature control. They target the inner core of the piston with an extra layer of cooling, friction-reducing oil. The jets reduce piston temperature, allowing the engine to produce more power and enhance long-term durability than engines without the technology.

Active Thermal Management helps the engine warm up quickly to achieve and maintain its optimal engine temperature for performance and efficiency over the entire engine operating range. The system uses a three-actuator rotary valve system to distribute coolant through the engine in a targeted manner. It sends heat where it’s needed to warm up the engine to reduce friction and heat the passenger cabin or cools when needed for high-power operation. The Duramax 3.0L also features split cooling between the block and head.

Common rail direct fuel injection of 2,500 bar (36,250 psi) helps generates class-leading horsepower and torque. The system’s pressure is generated by an engine-driven twin-piston pump sending fuel to solenoid-activated injectors with nine-hole nozzles that support precise metering of the fuel for a smooth idle and lower combustion noise. The fuel system is capable of multiple injections per combustion cycle — up to 10 times per injector — for more consistent and stable combustion performance that translates into smoothness and refinement, particularly at idle.   

Electronic throttle valve: The Duramax 3.0L features an electronic throttle valve to regulate intake manifold pressure in order to optimize exhaust gas recirculation rates. It also contributes to a smooth engine shutdown via a more controlled method of airflow reduction.

Ceramic glow plugs used in the Duramax 3.0L heat up more quickly and hotter than conventional metal-based glow plugs, helping the engine start and heat up more quickly in cold weather. The Duramax 3.0L achieves unassisted and assisted starting temperatures of -22 F (-30 C) and -40 F (-40 C) respectively.

Stop/start technology helps optimize efficiency in city driving. The driver-selectable system shuts off the engine at stoplights and other stop-and-go situations. The engine automatically restarts when the driver takes their foot off the brake.

Transmission:
      Chevy will offer just one transmission with the 3.0L Duramax,  its 10L80 10-speed automatic transmission. The transmission features a centrifugal pendulum absorber torque converter that reduces vibrations to improve smoothness, reinforcing its performance, efficiency, and refinement. Exhaust braking is part of the design. This technology uses the diesel engine’s compression to help slow the vehicle, requiring fewer brake applications by the driver when in Tow Haul mode.

Due to some minor emission certification delays, the new diesel engine will be available in early 2020, rather than late 2019.