Auto 4x4

Lino

Just now, Cupton said:

Sorry, I meant 4 Hi, not Low. I have never actually used 4 Low!

That makes more sense.

That's also why many of the T1 trucks now feature a single speed transfer case. 

7 hours ago, ftwhite said:

I had two Suburbans for over 100k each and very rarely took them out of 4x4Auto. Kept Amsoil in both transfer and diffs and changed them at least every year. Oil never showed significant wear was happening, and truck drove great. Maybe I was lucky, maybe they are just designed to work right. I have no concerns about leaving my 2018 in Auto all the time either. It means the traction I paid for is there when I need it. 

def not lucky if you're swapping out that Amsoil liquid gold EVERY YEAR then yeah you def added to the longevity of the drivetrain/4wd components. I just swapped out my T-case & diffs w/ Amsoil fluids & I'm @ 58k miles & use 4wd pretty regularly 4-5 months outta the year lol

when I put fresh Amsoil tranny fluid in my Z06 after draining stuff w/ 10k miles on it the difference in shift feel is immediate (manual tranny) - they make good stuff.

Two questions in regard to the auto 4wd

1. Is there any way to tell when the truck switches to 4wd while in auto?

2. Do you need to come to a complete stop to switch from 2 to 4? For the record I always assumed you do but if Auto works how I think most of us think it does it switches from 2 to 4 while driving and vis versa so part of me thinks that you should be able to engage 4wd at any speed. 

51 minutes ago, AllterrainX440 said:

2. Do you need to come to a complete stop to switch from 2 to 4? For the record I always assumed you do but if Auto works how I think most of us think it does it switches from 2 to 4 while driving and vis versa so part of me thinks that you should be able to engage 4wd at any speed. 

1.  There is no indicator light or anything like that.

2.  You can switch form 2 high to 4 auto or 4 high while driving.  You don't need to bring the vehicle to a stop.  You can make the shift at highway speeds.  If you read your owners manual it will give you the specifics. 

Thanks guys for all your advice on this matter.  Just join this web site, but have been reading it for years. Truck seems find and so do I now that I've heard from bros that have done or do this on a regular.  Again thank you all for you comments and advice.

• Like 1

I usually try to drive my truck in 4 auto and 4hi at least once a month, since I don't drive off road hardly ever I do it when it's raining and the streets are slick, try to drive on straight roads when in 4 Hi. I got into the habit of doing it because my first four wheel drive trucks were Toyotas and the owners manual said to drive in 4WD for at least 10 miles a month to "keep the front running gears lubricated".

When I bought my '18, it was already in AUTO, didn't think much about it.  After a few weeks, I was playing with some of the buttons/knobs, and just moved it to 2WD, been there ever since.  Looking like rain tonight (I WISH!!!), may cycle it back into AUTO for the drive home.

@Cupton, San Diego's only issue is the first half-hour of rain, after it hasn't rained for a while.  I grew up there too, Imperial Beach.  No body there, nor up here, knows how to drive in the rain.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 12:51 PM, AllterrainX440 said:

1.  Yes but only on some trim levels.  There is a screen you can enable in the DIC.  Go to the "Information" screens and look for something called "Off-Road".  If you have it and enable it you will see pitch, roll, wheel angle, and whether the truck is in 2WD or 4WD.

2.  Not to switch into AUTO or 4HI but you need to be moving less than 75 mph.  For 4LO it's a different procedure (you need to be 1-3 mph and go through Neutral on the transfer case first).  The operation is explained in your Owners Manual.

• Like 1

I drove mine 2400 miles round trip to Florida and back (From Texas) averaging about 85 on the highway most of the trip and then another 3000 miles after that, all in Auto. Mainly because I didnt realize that auto acts more like an AWD system than a 4WD. 

Now I leave it in 2WD if its clear out. But if its below 32 or a chance of rain, I put it in AWD so i don't have to worry about it.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 12:51 PM, AllterrainX440 said:

1. No, it doesn’t work like that.

Auto 4 does not engage and disengage 4wd so there is no use for an indicator. 

It is a constantly variable system that adjusts power to the front. It’s nearly identical in function to a traditional awd system, and you would never drive an awd vehicle and wonder if the awd is activated