Cant complain about gas mileage

On 12/2/2018 at 5:27 AM, dodge stomper said:

Must have been all downhill,...  ROFL....   Post the return trip when ya get home.

Thats amazing on a 6.2

DS

I dont know why thats amazing my best 25 miles going was going across IL, at 31.9 mpg.

EDIT: factory 20" rims and pizza cutter Goodyears

Edited by BB68

Its a pretty well known fact that 6.2 gets better mpg than 5.3

My average weekly is around 16mpg, i spend on avg $300/m on 87 octane just commute and errands.

Thinking of getting a civic to put around town lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, slimjim2525 said:

I'm very happy with my 5.3 mpg.  Don't know what it is, or even care, but I'm getting around 100 miles more per tank compared to my 07.

Night and day difference between my '09 Sierra 5.3 and my '15 Sierra 4.3 in extra miles per tank!

34 minutes ago, Ozer said:

Its a pretty well known fact that 6.2 gets better mpg than 5.3

My average weekly is around 16mpg, i spend on avg $300/m on 87 octane just commute and errands.

Thinking of getting a civic to put around town lol

I think the 5.3 would do better in combined mpg's with all other conditions being equal.  Many will also argue that the 5.3 will do better than the 4.3.  A small second car is a wonderful option to own if finances will allow.  However, it will not be cheaper to operate than the money you save putting gas in your truck.  We have a low mileage older Yaris as an economy option that is delightful for times like trying to find Christmastime parking at the malls! 

42 minutes ago, Donstar said:

However, it will not be cheaper to operate than the money you save putting gas in your truck.  

Don, I am a case study in how your statement is not always true.

I own a 2004 grand am v6. It averages close to 30 mpg. If I say my truck gets 20 mpg, at today's gas price @ $2.25, I save $3.75 for every 100 miles I drive the car. Since the car insurance is only about $20 a month, I am ahead of the ins payment after 600 miles a month. I put on over 1000 miles on the car every month. Gas today is cheaper than it's been in a while. The numbers only get better as the price goes up.

Now you could argue maintenance costs offset that savings. But I would have more maintenance on my truck if it was my daily driver, and the car is cheaper to fix, cheaper tires, cheaper oil change, ect. So maintenance cost per mile is a wash. 

The other thing I have that not everyone can take advantage of is reimbursed work miles. The majority of my miles on that car are for work, so I get  54.5 cents back for each mile driven, which more than pays for fuel & any maintenance on that car.

So it's not impossible, just just requires the right situation for the math to work.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Don, I am a case study in how your statement is not always true.

I own a 2004 grand am v6. It averages close to 30 mpg. If I say my truck gets 20 mpg, at today's gas price @ $2.25, I save $3.75 for every 100 miles I drive the car. Since the car insurance is only about $20 a month, I am ahead of the ins payment after 600 miles a month. I put on over 1000 miles on the car every month. Gas today is cheaper than it's been in a while. The numbers only get better as the price goes up.

Now you could argue maintenance costs offset that savings. But I would have more maintenance on my truck if it was my daily driver, and the car is cheaper to fix, cheaper tires, cheaper oil change, ect. So maintenance cost per mile is a wash. 

The other thing I have that not everyone can take advantage of is reimbursed work miles. The majority of my miles on that car are for work, so I get  54.5 cents back for each mile driven, which more than pays for fuel & any maintenance on that car.

So it's not impossible, just just requires the right situation for the math to work.

Yes, there were times in my work-life when I had to commute long distances daily.  Savings like you suggest arguably made a second vehicle a money saving option.  The main reason I went with the commuter car choice is I didn't like to see the mileage grow so rapidly on my new trucks.  I like the warranty time to run out before the odometer reading!  There are hidden advantages to a commuter car like the time between fill-ups.   In my last job, I needed to fill-up my truck every second day for the commute.   The same commute in the Yaris would see a tank of gas lasting four days with the cost of the fill-up being  less than half the cost of the truck!  People will argue that the comfort and safety of their truck is worth the extra cost.   This is true for most aspects of driving except for the mindless rush hour commutes so many have to endure.  A  morning and afternoon highway crawl five days a week only requires a vehicle with a good radio, hvac, and cup holder! 

4 minutes ago, Donstar said:

People will argue that the comfort and safety of their truck is worth the extra cost.   This is true for most aspects of driving except for the mindless rush hour commutes so many have to endure.  A  morning and afternoon highway crawl five days a week only requires a vehicle with a good radio, hvac, and cup holder! 

That is all true. and I'm thankful every day I don't have to drive on crammed freeways in rush-hour traffic. My driving happens anytime from 4:00 am to 6:00 pm and I'm more likely to be dodging white tail deer on county roads than having to worry about getting rear-ended by somebody playing with their phone on the highway. But I'll agree wholeheartedly about the value of the radio, HVAC and cupholder. They all get frequent use, haha.

I have no idea how you guys get the mileage that you do. 

I have had 6 trucks since 2008 and I have never seen better than 10% above the EPA estimates.  My Chevrolet Smart Driver score has never been less than 95 out of 100 which means I drive like an old man.

Between Springfield, IL and St. Louis, MO (90 miles) the best round trip average I have ever gotten was 24.1 mpg (in the 2014 1500).  I had the cruse set 5 mph above the posted limit and didn't have to deviate from that by much.

2004 2500HD 4x4 CC LT 6.0

2012 1500 4x4 CC LT 5.3

2014 1500 4x4 CC LT 5.3

2016 2500HD 4x4 CC LTZ 6.6 dmax

2017 2500HD 4x4 DC LT 6.0

2018 1500 4x4 DC LTZ 6.2

Edited by paracutin

4 hours ago, slimjim2525 said:

I'm very happy with my 5.3 mpg.  Don't know what it is, or even care, but I'm getting around 100 miles more per tank compared to my 07.

This is all that really matters. The difference between our 01, 03, and 13 was very slim - really unnoticeable. When we got our 15 I could see the difference at the gas station traveling the same trips we always make.

14 minutes ago, paracutin said:

I have no idea how you guys get the mileage that you do. 

I have had 6 trucks since 2008 and I have never seen better than 10% above the EPA estimates.  My Chevrolet Smart Driver score has never been less than 95 out of 100 which means I drive like an old man.

Between Springfield, IL and St. Louis, MO (90 miles) the best round trip average I have ever gotten was 24.1 mpg (in the 2014 1500).  I had the cruse set 5 mph above the posted limit and didn't have to deviate from that by much.

2004 2500HD 4x4 CC LT 6.0

2012 1500 4x4 CC LT 5.3

2014 1500 4x4 CC LT 5.3

2016 2500HD 4x4 CC LTZ 6.6 dmax

2017 2500HD 4x4 DC LT 6.0

2018 1500 4x4 DC LTZ 6.2

Tail wind

Now I get it. Had to look at it more closely.

In the OP,  Ian got a best of 30.7 with an average of 19.6 over 25 miles.  So for a little as 1 mile he got 30.7.   Tail wind, downhill or whatever.  Not an actual 30 mpg over any kind of distance.  His 25 mile and 400 mile averages were actually less than the EPA estimates.

Now I get it. Had to look at it more closely.
In the OP,  Ian got a best of 30.7 with an average of 19.6 over 25 miles.  So for a little as 1 mile he got 30.7.   Tail wind, downhill or whatever.  Not an actual 30 mpg over any kind of distance.  His 25 mile and 400 mile averages were actually less than the EPA estimates.
The 30mpg was over an average over a 25 mile distance. The 19.6 is a running current average of the last 25 miles driven

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ianwelch001 said:

The 30mpg was over an average over a 25 mile distance. The 19.6 is a running current average of the last 25 miles driven

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dude, how in the heck did you do that?  Going 25 mph thru construction? Coming down out of the mountains?  It really doesn't seem possible. 

Edited by paracutin