In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
ChevyBrad1500

What tires to buy?

I have a 2015 Silverado cc z71 with a 2 inch leveling kit. I'm wanting to replace my 265 65 18 Good Year SRA tires that have 52,000 miles. I want a quiet tire. I was thinking of going up a size to a 275, but worried it may affect my mpg? What size and brand did you go with? Did it affect your mpg?

I have a 15 Sierra. I had 275/55-20 as stock. I went to a 295/55-20 AT tire with a Load range E. Ride worsened, MPG dropped and noise increased. Next set will be a 285/55-20 P tire if I can find one I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with cat.. went with 275/60/20 BFG K02 with a 2" level.. mpg got a bit worse... but love the look of the truck now.... K0s look great.. had them for a month and they are good in the snow.

9 hours ago, ChevyBrad1500 said:

I have a 2015 Silverado cc z71 with a 2 inch leveling kit. I'm wanting to replace my 265 65 18 Good Year SRA tires that have 52,000 miles. I want a quiet tire. I was thinking of going up a size to a 275, but worried it may affect my mpg? What size and brand did you go with? Did it affect your mpg?

Falken Wildpeak AT3W,  excellent wet traction and performance.  Have had mine on my truck for around 25k miles and they are wearing very well.  I expect to get the full 60k out of them. No affect on MPG.

Offroad performance is better than I was expecting,  they are strong offroad as well.  M/T would do better in deep mud obviously, but other than that these get the job done easily.

If looks are not an issue you can go with the Michelin Defenders.  Quiet riding and good all around tire and you shouldn't loose much MPG.

• Like 6

I just did the same thing.  My experience with the Falkens was not good, so I went with Cooper ATP in 275/65R18.  A little louder than stock (emphasis on a LITTLE), and less than 1 mpg hit.

I have a 15 Sierra. I had 275/55-20 as stock. I went to a 295/55-20 AT tire with a Load range E. Ride worsened, MPG dropped and noise increased. Next set will be a 285/55-20 P tire if I can find one I like.

I should note I went with Toyo Open Country AT2’s. Love the look and they are doing great on wear. They were a real PITA to get balanced though. Had to end up road force them to get them to ride without a vibration.

I am closely approaching 50,000 miles on them and expect to get another 20K easily.

They also have good wet traction and in mud do very well.

I’ll be going to a narrower size next time as to not throw so much on the side of the truck. I have 5100’s up front with a 1/2” lower strut spacer and a 2” block in rear. No rubbing what so ever either.

If i can i wanna gonto 275 60 20 so i can get a set of bridgestone dueller at rhs's my fav tire ive ever had so far, not sure if u can run the 60's does anyone know? Either this or im gonna trade it in lmao

FWIW I like my GY DuraTrac Tires in my truck's  OEM size - P275/55R20.  The only time I notice any noise is when

I slow down - around 30MPH to a stop and when I take off - all low speed.  I don't notice the tires at highway speeds.

Great Snow traction.  Gets me around in the winter easily.

Edited by 14GMCZ71

I'm running goodyear duratracs  in 275/65/20. Don't notice any noise until highway speeds but it's not bad and pretty easy to drown out with the radio. I took a 2-3 mpg hit but they look and perform awesome so I don't care lol

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎01 at 8:51 PM, ChevyBrad1500 said:

Your stock size is the optimal tire size for your truck.  Going to a little wider tire as you suggest won't impact your mpg's but adding extra height and/or unsprung weight, will be noticeable.  Looks are important and there are many different looks available in your tire size.  If you want a top of the line, quiet, comfortable, long lasting, all purpose tire, follow Black02Silverado's suggestion and buy Michelin Defenders.  Imo, they also look great!

• Like 1

OP: Do you go off the highway? Michelin LTX A/T2 might be a nice upgrade. 60, 000 mile warranty.

Michelin LTX A/T2

or.....

another vote for the Falken Wildpeak it come in a P tire or LT

Winldpeak AT3W

Edited by Hate Work

First post here. Hope everyone is doing well. I've been lurking in the back for a while checking things out, decided to put my 2 cents in with a different option if anyone is interested.

For my driving by far the best tire I have ever had are the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3's. No hydroplaning, cuts though slush like it's nothing, fairly deep snow or mud is not a problem, 3 ply side walls for those rocky roads, and I can drive miles and miles of dirt road with less driver fatigue because the tires cut their own line, they go where you point them (hard to explain but it is noticeable). Even on ice they do very well, which is surprising.

I had them for a while on my 01 Suburban and liked them so much I replaced the factory 20" wheels with factory 17" wheels and the Mickey T's on the 2018 I bought recently. Also added Bilsteins and it drives so much better.

They are not for everyone. If you don't go off road you don't need them and probably won't like them. They make a little noise (not as much as they look like they should) and it will drop your MPG's a bit. But for me they as close to perfect as I have found. They have converted another die hard BFG lover I know as well. He now has them on his Rubicon and is now trying to figure out how to get them on his Rover. 

MT ATZs are the epitome of "you get what you pay for".

• Like 1