What tires to buy?

I have a 2015 Silverado cc z71 with a 2 inch leveling kit. I'm wanting to replace my 265 65 18 Good Year SRA tires that have 52,000 miles. I want a quiet tire. I was thinking of going up a size to a 275, but worried it may affect my mpg? What size and brand did you go with? Did it affect your mpg?

Adding weight/bigger tires will affect your mpg’s. Going with a more Hwy oriented tire like a Michelin Defender or Michelin AT2 will give you best highway mpgs. Stay with the P rated size and you’ll be happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your mileage is going to get a smidge worse putting a bigger tire on, there is no way to avoid that. The less aggressive tire you go with the less it'll affect your mileage. 

With that being said, I've got 33" Terra Grappler G2's and I had 35" Terra Grappler G2's on my last truck and they are great tires, on and off road. Very quiet and I've gotten 52k miles out of one set and 55k out of another. 

For a 2wd/HW tire...can't beat Michelin (as others have said)...might consider a 265/85 if you want a slightly wider tire...i put Michelins on my wifes vehicles becasue she has a 2wd and doesnt even go on dirt roads...

My truck came with Duratracs (very loud and noticeable feel on the tread at low speeds)and I replaced them having them less than a month with BFG KO2s 265/85 R18...it is a heavier tire than stock...so I'm sure I lost a hint of MPG...maybe 1/2 MPG?  However, I love the look and durability of the tire...I will plan on getting another set in probably 20-30k more miles (already have 45k on them).

I drive dirt roads from our place to the paved highway, 3 miles.

Had Cooper Discoverers. Good tire but I thought it was noisy, got more noisy with more miles.

Local tire store suggested Cooper StarFire.

Happy with them.

From paved to our house is up hill all the way with some step climbs and in 4 WD I have never had a problem.

Not an off road tire.

Good price IMO.

https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/starfire-tires/s/sf-510-lt

:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I drive a 2017 2500 HD Duramax.  I just replaced my stock 265/60/20 tires that came on the truck with a Toyo AT II Extremes, 295/55/20 and my gas mileage plummeted.  The ride is a little "squishy" as the front end of the trucks seems to float slightly, but this has gotten better as I have driven the truck more over the past couple of weeks.  For an AT tire, I am very pleased with the noise level.  They are a tad louder than the stock tires, but it's not bad at all.

I was expecting a small decrease in gas mileage due to the slightly wider and slightly taller tire with bigger tread...but not 20%+ lower.  On the road, I was getting 22 (on the computer) and about 21 calculating it the old-fashioned way by filling up, driving it, filling up again and then doing the math.  Now it's down to just under 17 (again, on the computer).  Around town, I was getting 17/18, now it's more like 14.  Towing my light trailer and ATV I was getting 16, now it's 13.  Frankly, I am shocked at how much it has dropped.

1 hour ago, rustyangel said:

I drive a 2017 2500 HD Duramax.  I just replaced my stock 265/60/20 tires that came on the truck with a Toyo AT II Extremes, 295/55/20 and my gas mileage plummeted.  The ride is a little "squishy" as the front end of the trucks seems to float slightly, but this has gotten better as I have driven the truck more over the past couple of weeks.  For an AT tire, I am very pleased with the noise level.  They are a tad louder than the stock tires, but it's not bad at all.

I was expecting a small decrease in gas mileage due to the slightly wider and slightly taller tire with bigger tread...but not 20%+ lower.  On the road, I was getting 22 (on the computer) and about 21 calculating it the old-fashioned way by filling up, driving it, filling up again and then doing the math.  Now it's down to just under 17 (again, on the computer).  Around town, I was getting 17/18, now it's more like 14.  Towing my light trailer and ATV I was getting 16, now it's 13.  Frankly, I am shocked at how much it has dropped.

Your mpg drop is due to 3 factors. Slightly larger diameter tires fooling your odometer with fewer miles driven. (Fewer revolutions per mile.) Heavier tires, (I cant find a weight spec on those 295’s), and more agressive tread pattern. 

Although you’d think the duramax would be less affected by the increase in rolling resistance. That is physics, the diameter change is pure math. 

I had a similar drop when I swapped to stock size duratracs. Weight and tread pattern. 

Edited by Bikemobile

Your new tires weigh 61 lbs a piece, your oem tires were 51 lbs a piece. That’s a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/1/2018 at 11:51 PM, ChevyBrad1500 said:

I have a 2015 Silverado cc z71 with a 2 inch leveling kit. I'm wanting to replace my 265 65 18 Good Year SRA tires that have 52,000 miles. I want a quiet tire. I was thinking of going up a size to a 275, but worried it may affect my mpg? What size and brand did you go with? Did it affect your mpg?

Check out Michelin LTX A/T 2's...Have the aggressive look but not loud and heavy.