Here’s what I learned and recalled. I’ve forgotten the days of break in oil. Makes sense to change the first one early, doesn’t do any harm so why not? Even though I been involved with oil testing and dealers of the extended oil I’ve been convinced that especially the cylinder deactivation engines should get oil changed reasonably at 5K miles. Maybe the non turbo, non cylinder deactivation engines can go longer why chance it? I never had a failure with extended but maybe the next one after me did. I’ve never kept a vehicle till it quit. What change my mind? Grumpy started the doubt of big oil and the article posted in this thread. At 63 your not too old to learn or change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cltsig said:

So, did we get a definitive answer to the OPs question (paraphrased) “What is a good mileage for the first oil change?” I’m at 1400 miles on a ‘19 6.2. Oil is pretty honey-like but slightly darker than it likely was from the factory. I’m thinking 2k miles, maybe slightly earlier if I can live that long with that $&@)”?!$ squeak that has developed in the dash.

You will rarely, if ever, get a definitive answer to any question posed to this Forum. Too many opinions and everyone will defend theirs. Your thinking of 2000 miles is more in line with the majority. I think about the only thing we could all agree on (and even this would bring someone out to debate it) is to change it before you reach ZERO on the OLM.

3 minutes ago, SS502 said:

You will rarely, if ever, get a definitive answer to any question posed to this Forum. Too many opinions and everyone will defend theirs. Your thinking of 2000 miles is more in line with the majority. I think about the only thing we could all agree on (and even this would bring someone out to debate it) is to change it before you reach ZERO on the OLM.

Wondering if anyone knows what exactly is measured by the oil sensors to calculate the oil contamination? 

11 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

I agree, valve was not oil (maintenance) related, do like the idea of not showering, but co-workers and wife will not go for it, I have been eating for a long time, if I did not need too, probably would not (thinking of meals is a PITA) and only point I was trying to make was, things happen that you can not control even when you are applying your best intentions.

Agreed :thumbs:

A definitive answer.

Change it when you like.

Now me personally if I ever own a new vehicle I would change it at 1 K miles.

My new Toro snowblower manual said to do the first oil change at 5 hours.

I did it at 3 hours.

:)

12 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Nah, everything has been covered from religion, Easter eggs, catch cans, mileage between intervals, family heritage, insults, compliments, trolls, oil and how it is used, made, maybe disposed of, the physics of oil viscosity, and probably missed a few things, for a simple question, when is a good time to get your first oi change?

:lol: It's what you do after the question has been answered a dozen times. :lol:

I think that there's a reason why manufacturers tell you to take it easy the first 500-1000 mls.

If every single part in a drive train is build to an absolute precision that no break-in is needed, we wouldn't be able to pay for that car.

That's why I think it is a good idea after all, to have an early oil change.

Btw. I had ALL fluids replaced at 1000km except the brake fluid, coolant and windshield anti-freeze lol.

so long

j-ten-ner

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, j-ten-ner said:

I think that there's a reason why manufacturers tell you to take it easy the first 500-1000 mls.

If every single part in a drive train is build to an absolute precision that no break-in is needed, we wouldn't be able to pay for that car.

Btw. I had ALL fluids replaced at 1000km except the brake fluid, coolant and windshield anti-freeze lol.

so long

j-ten-ner

I think your right. :thumbs:

On 2/1/2019 at 6:18 PM, j-ten-ner said:

so long

j-ten-ner

While we all differ on a set mileage for this process, the vast majority agree on an earlier the OLM 20% which is way too many miles on a new engine/drive train. Did my first oil just over 2K and the second one will be at 5K along with all other fluids. I also think it should be mentioned, new vehicles should be run through their whole parameter. In other words at least use your 4x4 (don’t have to go dune hopping) both hi and low, cycle it through sparingly so it gets used...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, yankeedoodle86 said:

Since amsoil has not yet released a filter for this truck what is everyone using? Mobil 1?

According to AMSOIL's Tech support AMSOIL's 0w-20 oil for the engine and the Ea017 for the filter.  The lookup guide is in work.  AMSOIL works with another  company that has the data base for all vehicles and once they get it finalized then the lookup guide will reflect products. They are hoping it will be updated by the end of the month.

I've changed my oil in my 6.2 and use two gallons of the Signature Series 0w20 and the Ea017 filter. 

I'm just glad that GM kept it at 8qts and not this odd qt quantity like 7 or 9 or eve 8.5.  I just get two gallons of AMSOIL and dump in. No messing around with 8 individual qts. :)