50 minutes ago, ForumUser said:

I think it would be pretty embarrassing for him to NOT support early oils changes ... ?

I read the article - pretty generic statements without technical attribution ... and, it was related to KBB.

At $20-30 he must be getting a break on price, too!  Unless he is still using non-syn ...

I think Pennzoil and QS are owned by same company ... Pennzoil is prevalent in synthetic community ... don’t think I would lean towards QS.

Bobistheoilguy.com might be helpful to spend some time on.

Your truck, your choice. The engines have break in "lubes" in place when they are built, some need time to do what they are designed for. What ever makes you comfortable, unless the fine folks on here are helping you financially with your truck, is when you should change the fluids.

12 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

??????????????? Yes it has and I'm not giving it back. Didn't I make that clear? 

What would you call framing 'less' as 'more'? Giving less and taking more? 

Lunch is calling me loudly. 

Once again questions/optinions being asked or given, how do you think a civil answer might be responded to from the poster? 

Edited by JimCost2014

6 minutes ago, ForumUser said:

My reading leads me to surmise that most OEMs don’t use a special oil for break in any longer.  Assembly lube, of course, but just their spec’d oil in the crankcase.

So ....

You are correct, no special oils, and my poor choice of words, it is assembly lube, which should stay with the original fill till it is time to change.

OK, lets assume the oil company guys want you to waste oil with short change intervals. Then can we also assume the car guys only care how to get the car through the warranty period, with minimal expense? 

Seems some have overestimated the technology improvements in oil at times, and maybe paid some for it. 

https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/gm-reprogram-some-oil-life-monitors

So as a consumer, you can choose to error on maximizing the lifetime of your engine, or you can seek to maximizing (or find the sweet spot) of your chosen oil's designed effectiveness.

I don't see how either is wrong, just a choice. To claim to know the lifetime of 8 quarts of brandX oil in my Silverado, with my driving style, and my environment, is presumptuous at best, regardless of your "facts". But I enjoy the research this thread has led me to and the reinforcement that I am doing what’s right for me. 

• Like 2

I think I recall car companies selling in the US spec shorter oil change intervals than they do for their cars sold n Europe ...

i dont think car companies are trying to minmize oil change costs, but rather reflect a likely conservative engineering perspective with a balanced approach - ie they specify  intervals that are conservative, especially given some early errors with non syn oils.

Given this conservative approach with far more forgiving oils, yes, I believe there is statistical and technical support for doing just what you scoff at - in a very, cold, neighborhood non-presumptions process.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ForumUser said:

I think I recall car companies selling in the US spec shorter oil change intervals than they do for their cars sold n Europe ...

i dont think car companies are trying to minmize oil change costs, but rather reflect a likely conservative engineering perspective with a balanced approach - ie they specify  intervals that are conservative, especially given some early errors with non syn oils.

Given this conservative approach with far more forgiving oils, yes, I believe there is statistical and technical support for doing just what you scoff at - in a very, cold, neighborhood non-presumptions process.

If I may? I bought it with money I made. Allot of my money by my estimate. GM"s interest lies with GM. They are hardly concerned with me or my resource save the fact that they would like as much of those resources as possible before I am no more.

Shareholders and all you understand. Ford, Dodge etc., all the same. 

My education, experience, oil & failure analysis and the counsel of experienced individuals my senior and contemporary I use as my guides. My last oil samples indicated that my 5,000 mile intervals with some really good Ester/Polyol lubrication is pushing the add package pretty hard and 7,500 would be ill advised. 

"I don't think" - " I believe there is statistical support" - "likely conservative engineering", these are not statements that are going to get me to toss six decades of my education, work experience and failure/oil analysis out the window. 

As far as the OP's inquiry; by the same measures and standards I will not change my previous replies which lie along Nicks thoughts (AMZOIL dealer) 

Please...feel free to do as you please. It's your money. Your truck and I respect that. Allow others the same courtesy. 

• Like 1

I’m guessing the two auto companies that have the reputation for longevity Honda and Toyota are quite tired of that. So they went extended on their oil changes so they would wear out quicker. Amsoil would have been just as successful probably would have made more money if they said extended to 10 or 15 thousand miles instead of 25. Heck half the people in this country believe walls are ineffective. Even though they’re being told this by people who live behind walls. So even in this high tec world saying 3K oil changes are needed people will believe it. Even if oil and car manufacturers them selves say otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way back in the day “?when I was younger?“ as the song goes, I would do the first oil change at 1,000 miles then at 3,000 miles from there on..  Later, when synthetics came on the scene I started changing at 5,000 miles.  Starting with my 2005 Silverado I think it was, I change when my DIC oil monitor reaches about 80% ~ 90% range.  Usually, that’s around 6,000 ~ 7,000 miles.  Oil still looks good at that marker.

15 hours ago, ForumUser said:

My reading leads me to surmise that most OEMs don’t use a special oil for break in any longer.  Assembly lube, of course, but just their spec’d oil in the crankcase.

So ....

Agree.  And, there really isn’t a break-in period any longer either.  Just get in and drive it.  I’m guessing that eventually oil changes will be on same schedule as spark plugs, antifreeze serpentine belt and such; 100K Mileage marker.  Maybe change the filter once or twice during the interum.

1 hour ago, ForumUser said:

Grumpy - you still there?

What oil are you chemically assessing?  Help us understand the issues, please, with some data on type, manufacturer, usage, timeframe, etc.

Thanks.

If you search for him on here and his other posts you will find he is using Redline 5w-20, also his results of a UOA.

Went back awhile on his posts till it got tiresome ... :-). He's driving a 4.3 V-6, right?

Hmmm ... I suspect even broad market stuff like Pennzoil syn would provide suitable intervals to at least 8-10K miles ... if he felt bad about that and wanted to feel better he could change filters at 5K, do the analysis thing and see ...

US consumers are living the dream of the oil companies ... and oil change companies.

I find this to be an interesting topic - especially when so many still quote their old relatives - who quoted their old relatives - and, we still talk about 3K oil change intervals.