In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Bed length

That's short bed 5'8   your inside measurement is the one you want, 68.xx

I just realized what I was looking at.  Close the tailgate, inside to inside is the correct measurement. 

Which cover are you buying. 

Edited by MadCaddie
  • Like 1

That's short bed 5'8   your inside measurement is the one you want, 68.xx

I just realized what I was looking at.  Close the tailgate, inside to inside is the correct measurement. 

Which cover are you buying. 
I'm getting the Retrax Pro MX

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, cbpagent72 said:

I'm getting the Retrax Pro MX

Nice, that was top of my list.  Ultimately I didn't wanna give up the bed space in a short bed, but it's a very nice cover for sure. 

• Like 1

Nice, that was top of my list.  Ultimately I didn't wanna give up the bed space in a short bed, but it's a very nice cover for sure. 
Well it's finally installed and I'm very happy with it and to be honest it doesn't give up that much bedspace. it really looks very clean. And having the security of a lockable cover is a pretty big deal for me. I also did the lockable storage in the center console.2d79a6335e43485f086644b3720d024d.jpgcddd6cecfca0541e6e0d5986b47e9180.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbpagent72 said:

Well it's finally installed and I'm very happy with it and to be honest it doesn't give up that much bedspace. it really looks very clean. And having the security of a lockable cover is a pretty big deal for me. I also did the lockable storage in the center console.2d79a6335e43485f086644b3720d024d.jpgcddd6cecfca0541e6e0d5986b47e9180.jpg

Very nice.  I have the lock box as well.  Any pics of the canister?  We have them at work and it takes up enough bed space that I couldn't do it, as much as I wanted to.  I went with the Bak Revolver X4, it doesn't lock persay but needs to be opened from the inside.  It was a tough decision. 

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, Geebzy said:

So answer this you experts… is the bed 5.8’ or 5ft8in? So that would be 68in or 69in. What ever answer you give I can prove you wrong on GMs website. 🤯

As long as the bed cover fits and works, who gives a 💩?

11 hours ago, Geebzy said:

So answer this you experts… is the bed 5.8’ or 5ft8in? So that would be 68in or 69in. What ever answer you give I can prove you wrong on GMs website. 🤯

11 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Explain?

Welcome to freedom units!

5.8' is 5.8 feet. So 5.8 x 12 inches = 69.6 inches.

5'8" is 5 feet 8 inches, so (5ft x12inches)+8 inches = 68 inches.

Per the new truck configurator a short bed on a 2021 is 69.92 inches, so about 5.8 ft.

A standard bed is 79.44 inches, so about 6.6 ft. Or roughly 6' 7".

It's easy to see why there is confusion, even among the marketing material from Chevrolet because the marketing people aren't the designers. The designers are going to use inches to be more precise, which then other people convert to feet because the average American can't easily visualize 69.92 inches, but you tell them in feet they will relate to it better.

So when you convert from inches do you just divide by 12 and say 5.8 ft, or divide by 12, then carry the remainder and convert back to inches? This is an example of why other countries use metric.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, c0ld29 said:

Welcome to freedom units!

5.8' is 5.8 feet. So 5.8 x 12 inches = 69.6 inches.

5'8" is 5 feet 8 inches, so (5ft x12inches)+8 inches = 68 inches.

Per the new truck configurator a short bed on a 2021 is 69.92 inches, so about 5.8 ft.

A standard bed is 79.44 inches, so about 6.6 ft. Or roughly 6' 7".

It's easy to see why there is confusion, even among the marketing material from Chevrolet because the marketing people aren't the designers. The designers are going to use inches to be more precise, which then other people convert to feet because the average American can't easily visualize 69.92 inches, but you tell them in feet they will relate to it better.

So when you convert from inches do you just divide by 12 and say 5.8 ft, or divide by 12, then carry the remainder and convert back to inches? This is an example of why other countries use metric.

There's 25.4 millimeters/2.54 centimeters to 1 inch.  Do the math, and it won't matter if you use standard or metric.  For example, the short bed converted is 1,775.968 millimeters/177.5968 centimeters.  We could simplify it to 1.78 meters, if that'll make you feel better.  Inches or millimeters, who gives a 💩.  The only time I care about standard vs metric is when I'm buying ammo. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Transient said:

There's 25.4 millimeters/2.54 centimeters to 1 inch.  Do the math, and it won't matter if you use standard or metric.  For example, the short bed converted is 1,775.968 millimeters/177.5968 centimeters.  We could simplify it to 1.78 meters, if that'll make you feel better.  Inches or millimeters, who gives a 💩.  The only time I care about standard vs metric is when I'm buying ammo. 

And tools👍

6 hours ago, Transient said:

Lol you completely missed the point of my post. The confusion comes in when 5.8ft vs 5ft 8in is used. I was trying to explain it so someone unaware would understand WHY there is a difference. Telling people "if it fits it fits!" doesn't help them. 

As you showed this doesn't happen in metric. Obviously I didn't mean convert 5.8ft to cm. I'll never understand why people get so upset when someone mentions metric. Anyone who uses both regularly knows which is easier to work with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, c0ld29 said:

I'll never understand why people get so upset when someone mentions metric.

Try mentioning British Whitworth. Hands down best thread form possible and yet the ease of metric erased it from the landscape. Then SAE 'develops' the MILLSPEC J form like Whitworth never existed? A forth form base on Whitworth.

:wtf: 

Metric had no counter.....

First recorded case of "Cancel Culture". :rollin:

You must not be old enough to remember the days when the same vehicle had both SAE and Metric bolts. Allot of unhappy people. 

IF you were raised with metric then you think and visualize in metric. For us older kids who's first language is SAE we have to translate first before we speak. Doesn't come natural. It's like watching my father converse with grandma in German. He hasn't spoken it daily in 80 years. She never quit. He hears in German, sort of,  then translates it to English. Forms a reply in English then translates in his head into German then speaks. It is painfully slow and frustrating. For both of them. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear