Cummins 6.7 to GM 6.0

Afternoon ladies and gents. I have spent hours upon hours trying to do my homework here on the GM 6.0 gasser engines. I have been around diesels the past 6 years, love my current tow rig. (2013 Ram 2500 Tradesman w/ 6/7 cummins) Truck is stock no deletes. What brought me here is we have our first baby on the way, the thought of saving some money by trading down to a gasser seems like a good idea. But i am not sure with how often i tow that i will be happy. 
I live in Illinois and tow a 28 ft enclosed racecar hauler throughout the state (mostly flat). I tow every weekend from April to October generally, the trailer weighs close to 8K loaded. Obviously the cummins tows this with zero issues, and i'm assuming the GM 6.0 would tow this fine as well. I found a 2009 Chevy 2500 that's loaded with 110,000 miles on it. It appears to be in great shape, from what i found out it has the LY6 engine. If i were to make the switch i'd free up over 100 bucks a month, but is that really enough to justify the switch? I'm not in a bind for money at the moment, but obviously saving some money never hurts. 
I guess i'm basically looking at some opinion's from guys that have maybe made the switch from a diesel to a gasser, and see what there thoughts were? Or do i tow enough that i should just stick it out with the diesel? Looking forward to your thoughts! 
*Also, i would estimate that based on my location and where i'm traveling i drive roughly 3500-4000 miles a year with the trailer hooked up. 

It would tow it fine. But at about 7-8 maybe 10mpg. Also you’ll know it’s back there. Maintenance is cheaper. But if it’s only a savings of $100 a month. I would stick with the diesel. I have a 2011 with 6.0 and it tows my 34ft camper fine. About 10k lbs. my parents have a 2015 ram long horn 3500 with Cummins. That doesn’t it know it’s back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I sold my 2014 Mega Cab Lariat 6.7 C and went to a 2007 Classic LT3 GMT800 6.0 4L80e.

Loved my Ram. Was a great looking truck. Wanted to go to 6.4 Hemi POWER WAGON and could not justify a $40k plus truck. I hated the diesel around town. Hated the city drive. Towed like beast, but I used it as a 2-3 time a week commuter. Sucked in stop and go traffic. That is Damn 6.7 throttle and torque management, suuuucked!!

So I bought the simplest, most reliable best built truck by Chevy and went the 6.0. Tow’s great. Gets 10mpg and at $1.85 a gallon right now, it is cheeeeeaaaaap to operate. My truck has 24k miles on it and looks brand new! Miss my Ram interior and modern stereo and heated and cooled seats, but oh well. Less to break. I wish my 6.0 was an LT3 with heated leather seats, could not find that with ultra low miles and I wanted low, low miles. So old school cloth.....

All that above is to say, did not sell your truck for $100 a month. I sold my truck for $50k and bought the 6.0 for $26k, added new tires, brake controller and a hitch. It will last me for years at 3-5k miles per year. If you want a huge cash savings, less maintenance and simple, then look for a GMT 800 6.0. The 900 trucks have crappy dash, crappy door handles, crappy switch gear and valve train issues. You do get stronger frame and better brakes, even over 800’s. So think wisely before spending good money or a slight payment savings on a 100k plus mile truck that will have issues sooner than later and not be a 6.7 Diesel. Not a good trade.

But going gas on a Classic 6.0 would be a wise move to save on fuel and maintenance, with mostly easy DIY repairs and all documented on this site if you can get low miles [emoji16]

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mchasteen40 said:

Afternoon ladies and gents. I have spent hours upon hours trying to do my homework here on the GM 6.0 gasser engines. I have been around diesels the past 6 years, love my current tow rig. (2013 Ram 2500 Tradesman w/ 6/7 cummins) Truck is stock no deletes. What brought me here is we have our first baby on the way, the thought of saving some money by trading down to a gasser seems like a good idea. But i am not sure with how often i tow that i will be happy. 
I live in Illinois and tow a 28 ft enclosed racecar hauler throughout the state (mostly flat). I tow every weekend from April to October generally, the trailer weighs close to 8K loaded. Obviously the cummins tows this with zero issues, and i'm assuming the GM 6.0 would tow this fine as well. I found a 2009 Chevy 2500 that's loaded with 110,000 miles on it. It appears to be in great shape, from what i found out it has the LY6 engine. If i were to make the switch i'd free up over 100 bucks a month, but is that really enough to justify the switch? I'm not in a bind for money at the moment, but obviously saving some money never hurts. 
I guess i'm basically looking at some opinion's from guys that have maybe made the switch from a diesel to a gasser, and see what there thoughts were? Or do i tow enough that i should just stick it out with the diesel? Looking forward to your thoughts! 
*Also, i would estimate that based on my location and where i'm traveling i drive roughly 3500-4000 miles a year with the trailer hooked up. 

Make sure it has 4.10 gears.  6.0 and the 6L90 behind it are tanks.  Is it a standard box or long box?  Prior to 2011, the standard box only has a 26 gallon tank, the long box is 34 gallon.  2011 and newer, all box sizes are 36 gallon tanks.     

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, carnutdallas said:

The 900 trucks have crappy dash, crappy door handles, crappy switch gear and valve train issues. You do get stronger frame and better brakes, even over 800’s. So think wisely before spending good money or a slight payment savings on a 100k plus mile truck that will have issues sooner than later and not be a 6.7 Diesel. Not a good trade.

The 2007 through 2010 have the exact same chassis as the GMT800 does.  The 6L90E is an upgrade over the 4L80e... the rectangle port heads on the LY6 really are not.  

If a person wants a GMT900 HD buy an 11 and newer and get the better chassis design.

The 2007 through 2010 have the exact same chassis as the GMT800 does.  The 6L90E is an upgrade over the 4L80e... the rectangle port heads on the LY6 really are not.  

If a person wants a GMT900 HD buy an 11 and newer and get the better chassis design.

Might be some confusion on your quote of me. The GMT800 and the GMT900 do not share the exact same chassis, especially in the 2500 and above. Not the frame specifically, but all the associated parts - brakes, trans, shocks, etc - the entire “chassis.” I was referencing my 2007 GMT800 Classic 2500HD the last and best of the GMT800. It shares almost nothing with the GMT900. 2007.5-2014 is the GMT900 HD vehicle with some nice upgrades in 2011 (2006+ is GMT900 1500 class)

As a life long Chevy guy (and Dodge) I despise the GMT900 interiors as a whole, the exterior door handles, the engine issues, etc, etc. My truck was built in the USA, not a huge deal, but something I considered as the south of the boarder Dodges and Chevy’s seem to have quality issues. Now granted all manufacturers have quality issues and the GMT800 has its known weaknesses, but they are minor in my opinion and mainly are the result of service and Maintenance neglect. Chevy/GM screwed up and the best thing that can be said of the GMT900 was the the Transmissions and Diesels up until the 2009 plus range. The Brakes are great on a 900 as well. 4 wheel disc and less ABS issues. But alas, I made my choice for an 800 based on parts cost, easy DIY on almost every aspect. Simple computers and a host of other reason.

Not trying to crap on this thread and my apologies if I am completely wrong, but my shared opinion was only relating to the last year GMT800 HD trucks.

Now the 2015’s GMT K2xx are sweet, huge improvements, especially the 6.2. Great interiors. Love them, just not the price and a lot of “nanny parts/computers.” I cannot DIY as well.

I really don't think you'll be saving any money by going down to the 6.0.  You've already paid registration and insurance on your Cummins, Your cummins will get better fuel economy.. where will you be saving money?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carnutdallas said:

Might be some confusion on your quote of me. The GMT800 and the GMT900 do not share the exact same chassis, especially in the 2500 and above. Not the frame specifically, but all the associated parts - brakes, trans, shocks, etc - the entire “chassis.” I was referencing my 2007 GMT800 Classic 2500HD the last and best of the GMT800. It shares almost nothing with the GMT900. 2007.5-2014 is the GMT900 HD vehicle with some nice upgrades in 2011 (2006+ is GMT900 1500 class)

As a life long Chevy guy (and Dodge) I despise the GMT900 interiors as a whole, the exterior door handles, the engine issues, etc, etc. My truck was built in the USA, not a huge deal, but something I considered as the south of the boarder Dodges and Chevy’s seem to have quality issues. Now granted all manufacturers have quality issues and the GMT800 has its known weaknesses, but they are minor in my opinion and mainly are the result of service and Maintenance neglect. Chevy/GM screwed up and the best thing that can be said of the GMT900 was the the Transmissions and Diesels up until the 2009 plus range. The Brakes are great on a 900 as well. 4 wheel disc and less ABS issues. But alas, I made my choice for an 800 based on parts cost, easy DIY on almost every aspect. Simple computers and a host of other reason.

Not trying to crap on this thread and my apologies if I am completely wrong, but my shared opinion was only relating to the last year GMT800 HD trucks.

Now the 2015’s GMT K2xx are sweet, huge improvements, especially the 6.2. Great interiors. Love them, just not the price and a lot of “nanny parts/computers.” I cannot DIY as well.

You are quite confused... 2007.5 through 2010 have the same parts underneath as the gmt800 minus the engine, trans and and t case.  It's the exact same chassis as the GMT800.  2011, when the lug pattern changed to 8x180 mm is where the brakes and front end parts changed along with the entire frame and the 9.25" got the beefier housing with the Salisbury style housing with a front cover.  There is a reason when you buy a lift kit as an example it will be labelled 2001 to 2010 2500HD.

Go do brakes on a 2009 2500hd and your 07 classic.. its the same parts.

Before you quote me and tell me I am wrong look into it lol.  Just search up brakes for your 07 and an 09... they are identical part numbers.

They 2015 plus trucks are not anymore complicated than a 2011 GMT900... again like your confusion from the gmt800 to gmt900 the running gear of a 2018 is exactly the same as a 2011 for the gas trucks.  They even use the same pcm minus the 2018 is upgraded to a global platform meaning nothing to the tuning functionality other than it costs more credits to unlock it.

There is no "6.2" in the 2015 up HD trucks... same L96 as the 2011 through 2014... which other than bigger injectors is the same engine as what came along in 2007.5 called the LY6.  Half tons are a totally different platform and yes of course have a 6.2.

If you can work on a 2011 to 2014 GMT900 HD you can work on a 2015 and up.  

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

You are quite confused... 2007.5 through 2010 have the same parts underneath as the gmt800 minus the engine, trans and and t case.  It's the exact same chassis as the GMT800.  2011, when the lug pattern changed to 8x180 mm is where the brakes and front end parts changed along with the entire frame and the 9.25" got the beefier housing with the Salisbury style housing with a front cover.  There is a reason when you buy a lift kit as an example it will be labelled 2001 to 2010 2500HD.

Before you quote me and tell me I am wrong look into it lol.  Just search up brakes for your 07 and an 09... they are identical part numbers.

They 2015 plus trucks are not anymore complicated than a 2011 GMT900... again like your confusion from the gmt800 to gmt900 the running gear of a 2018 is exactly the same as a 2011 for the gas trucks.  They even use the same pcm minus the 2018 is upgraded to a global platform meaning nothing to the tuning functionality other than it costs more credits to unlock it.

There is no "6.2" in the 2015 up HD trucks... same L96 as the 2011 through 2014... which other than bigger injectors is the same engine as what came along in 2007.5 called the LY6.  Half tons are a totally different platform and yes of course have a 6.2.

Thank you, I was completely wrong. I thought they changed the frame? So it is only the abysmal interior. I had a complete misunderstand of the changes. I have been misinformed for the past 10 plus years!! My sincere apologies. GM did no favors on pile of crap dash, buttons, regulators, door handles, door panels and trim. Complete junk. I never knew they just updated the powertrain only.

I mainly do not like computers and coding of the 2015 and up. I guess I have a lot to learn. I will add if you had replied with the above quote first, I would have shut up earlier, LOL. Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Colossus said:

I really don't think you'll be saving any money by going down to the 6.0.  You've already paid registration and insurance on your Cummins, Your cummins will get better fuel economy.. where will you be saving money?

From a financial standpoint here i still owe on the cummins. Based on what i owe though and what i can trade it off for i'm in good shape. Basically on just the specific truck i was looking at i can save 100 alone on the monthly payment and reduce overall debt while also lowering my term. Obviously this number can be increased if i look at an older style chevy as a guy mentioned in this post as well. I have a few options here i'm just looking at opinions from actual GM 6.0 owners. You guys have been very helpful! Thank you!

From a financial standpoint here i still owe on the cummins. Based on what i owe though and what i can trade it off for i'm in good shape. Basically on just the specific truck i was looking at i can save 100 alone on the monthly payment and reduce overall debt while also lowering my term. Obviously this number can be increased if i look at an older style chevy as a guy mentioned in this post as well. I have a few options here i'm just looking at opinions from actual GM 6.0 owners. You guys have been very helpful! Thank you!

Ahh yeah understandable. No matter what year of Chevy, there all good trucks. The newer ones have a 6 speed trans and the boxed frame. They also have a better looking front clip in my opinion. It comes down to personal preference and what you need it for if it makes sense for you.

This forum is my favorite site to visit and I respect the opinions of others.  It is fun to talk about trucks but Op has a financial dilemma which I think goes beyond trucks.  Op, my advice, fwiw, is to ask at your bank for you and your wife to meet with a financial advisor.  A "baby on the way"  results in a lifelong priority and commitment.  Your current truck loan and financial situation is a blip in history but can be the source of intense conflict.  Get the financial stuff in order in a mutually agreeable manner and enjoy your new baby!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, carnutdallas said:

Yup, pretty much I agree!  I have extensive usage of those model years....Do skip the 900's  GET a 800 or K2   But for you and the money?  I would stick with what you have you tow enough to justify it.

3 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

Yeah, it was 2010 for model year 2011 that GM Beefed up Frames HD's.............I remember driving a couple brand new around that time.  Anyway, for number of reasons even having the beefed up Frames on the HD's the 800's HD in my opinion were still far superior they were tanks with 6.0 

• Like 1

Meh.  I own a couple GMT800 trucks still... they are a great truck because they are cheap to fix.  Not really a tank... the frame bent pretty easily on my 05 but I guess the nice thing is all you need to do is throw it on a frame rack to straighten it again.

The 2011 HDs are an actual HD truck running gear wise... the 2010 and prior are pretty mickey mouse no matter how you want to slice it.