Cummins 6.7 to GM 6.0

On 12/5/2018 at 7:24 AM, mchasteen40 said:

From a financial standpoint here i still owe on the cummins. Based on what i owe though and what i can trade it off for i'm in good shape. Basically on just the specific truck i was looking at i can save 100 alone on the monthly payment and reduce overall debt while also lowering my term. Obviously this number can be increased if i look at an older style chevy as a guy mentioned in this post as well. I have a few options here i'm just looking at opinions from actual GM 6.0 owners. You guys have been very helpful! Thank you!

As someone who thought he could save money in the long run by downsizing and getting rid of my beloved 2008 Duramax for something smaller, please don't fall in the same trap I did.  Saving $100 a month is nothing.  If you could save $400 or $500 a month then maybe.  But I tried that route and it ended up costing me more.  Do side jobs, get a new job, sell things, find a way to get your current truck paid off quicker, but don't sell it.  PLEASE don't make the same mistake I did.  You WILL regret it :(

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Link is about the new 6.6L released in 2011, with the new frame, brakes, etc.

Talks about the frame/chassis changes and shows the brake size improvement. 

http://www.maxxtorque.com/2010/12/2011-duramax-lml-review-built-to-tow.html

If you've been regularly towing with a the cummins, I don't think the torque available on a gasser will make you happy.

• Like 1

The LY6 was gasoline only and the L96 is the FlexFuel version.  You can save money if E85 is cheap enough where you live and available.

Most households waste $100 a month in groceries, take out, and other things, not enough reason to get out of the current ride save that it is a Dodge!  hehe

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

To update on this...after a check engine light (service exhaust) came on I realized having that diesel is nice but there can be many more unknown surprises with them (turbo, injectors, DPF, etc, etc.) Came across a deal that was too hard to say no to and we switched to a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 with the 6.0 engine (4:11 gears) and actually saved a little money in the process. 

I must say i'm a tad frustrated with myself that i didn't make the switch to a gas engine sooner. Obviously this truck is not a torque monster like my Cummins was, but the day to day driving is so much more enjoyable that I don't mind giving up a little when we are towing. (And the truck only takes 5 minutes to get to operating temp which is a bonus in the winter!)

To be honest the only time i really noticed a significant difference hooked up to 8K  trailer was when we were starting at 10 MPH and going up a decent hill. However i wanted to see what this truck could do so i put my foot down and she accelerated better than i expected up to 50 MPH (Speed limit was 45 MPH). 

It's going to take a little while for me to get used to seeing the RPM's on this truck go higher compared to the diesel, but i understand these make peak horsepower above 4,000 RPM's i believe. And it doesn't bug me too much considered on the racecars we turn them 8400 every lap. LOL. 

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help and give an update. All in all i'm very happy with the performance of this 6.0 gas engine so far and i wish i would of switched a long time ago. 

• Like 2

To update on this...after a check engine light (service exhaust) came on I realized having that diesel is nice but there can be many more unknown surprises with them (turbo, injectors, DPF, etc, etc.) Came across a deal that was too hard to say no to and we switched to a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 with the 6.0 engine (4:11 gears) and actually saved a little money in the process. 

I must say i'm a tad frustrated with myself that i didn't make the switch to a gas engine sooner. Obviously this truck is not a torque monster like my Cummins was, but the day to day driving is so much more enjoyable that I don't mind giving up a little when we are towing. (And the truck only takes 5 minutes to get to operating temp which is a bonus in the winter!)

To be honest the only time i really noticed a significant difference hooked up to 8K  trailer was when we were starting at 10 MPH and going up a decent hill. However i wanted to see what this truck could do so i put my foot down and she accelerated better than i expected up to 50 MPH (Speed limit was 45 MPH). 

It's going to take a little while for me to get used to seeing the RPM's on this truck go higher compared to the diesel, but i understand these make peak horsepower above 4,000 RPM's i believe. And it doesn't bug me too much considered on the racecars we turn them 8400 every lap. LOL. 

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help and give an update. All in all i'm very happy with the performance of this 6.0 gas engine so far and i wish i would of switched a long time ago. 

Glad it worked out. The 2015 is a great appearance improvement and I like those trucks. My Classic does fine for what I do. Just like you, the best part was city driving with a gasser over the 6.7. So much better. Have a great 2019!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I will say, I do miss how fast a gas engine warms up. That’s about the only thing I miss. I used to have an 01 Silverado with the 6.0 and a 97 jetta with a 2.0 gas engine. I have since upgraded to an 00 7.3 powerstroke and 99 jetta TDI. Overall I am very happy with my diesels, my tdi is yielding almost double the mpg that my 2.0 did. (25 vs 45-50)

gas engines are definitely better for short trips. I feel bad starting up my diesels in the dead of winter and putting all that wear and tear on them just going to the store or something or something short. To each his own.

Glad it worked out for you[emoji106][emoji2534]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Colossus said:

what wear and tear? 

On the new truck? 

It's a pretty clean 2015.. dealership "accidentally listed the truck for one price, instead of what they claimed it was supposed to be at but i didn't let them budge and they ended up honoring that price. 

I acted like i had no mechanical knowledge when we test drove the truck, knocked a bunch off on the price for a "squeak" that i claimed made me feel uneasy. Which was 30 bucks for a tensioner pulley i replaced last weekend and another $400 off for a chip in the front windshield i told them i'd have to replace. Safelite fixed the chip for $100.

Truck has no body damage and paint is in great shape.
Truck needs new tires this summer but my old truck was in the same boat so that was a wash for me. 

By the time it was all said and done i walked away paying $28,000 for this truck. Which in my location was a pretty darn good deal.

I need to get tow mirrors soon however, i'm surprised these small mirrors are even an option on a 3/4 ton truck, lol.

IMG_7804.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 2:48 PM, mchasteen40 said:

On the new truck? 

It's a pretty clean 2015.. dealership "accidentally listed the truck for one price, instead of what they claimed it was supposed to be at but i didn't let them budge and they ended up honoring that price. 

I acted like i had no mechanical knowledge when we test drove the truck, knocked a bunch off on the price for a "squeak" that i claimed made me feel uneasy. Which was 30 bucks for a tensioner pulley i replaced last weekend and another $400 off for a chip in the front windshield i told them i'd have to replace. Safelite fixed the chip for $100.

Truck has no body damage and paint is in great shape.
Truck needs new tires this summer but my old truck was in the same boat so that was a wash for me. 

By the time it was all said and done i walked away paying $28,000 for this truck. Which in my location was a pretty darn good deal.

I need to get tow mirrors soon however, i'm surprised these small mirrors are even an option on a 3/4 ton truck, lol.

IMG_7804.jpg

Enjoy many years from a truck that needs next to no maintenance. I'm a big fan of these reliable gas guzzlers.

• Like 1