Onstar unable to signup new truck

OnStar sucks!!! It's been 2 weeks since I've taken delivery of my truck OnStar still hasn't been able to signup my truck and now I'm halfway through my "super generous" month of a working app. I've called them 4 different times they waist about a half hour of my time then the level 2 person tells me they put in a ticket and they'll call me when it's fixed. Onstar has yet to call me back once! Absolutely unacceptable!!! Especially when you only get one month of service VS the 5 years I got with my last truck. Why am I still buying GM?

• Like 2

When they do get it working just ask them to give you a free month. it's the least they could do. 

I'm beginning to think that OnStar is not up to speed with the new Infotainment systems. It took them a week to solve my issues with live traffic.

On a side note - Iv'e had my truck since October and my insurance company (AAA) still can't verify my VIN number. Which is funny because the state already issued plates and the VIN is in their system. 

Normally a dealership will activate Onstar on the newly purchased vehicle. If it is not working, have you taken it back to service to ensure there is nothing wrong with the system?

When you contact Onstar again, just ask for an extension of the free month. They did have a promotion going on where you could get an additional 2 months free for a total of 3 months.

Call Chevy Care and state your case and see what they can accomplish for your problem. Bottom line, the dealership should have ensured that the system was working.

On 12/4/2018 at 9:44 PM, ms55330 said:

OnStar sucks!!! It's been 2 weeks since I've taken delivery of my truck OnStar still hasn't been able to signup my truck and now I'm halfway through my "super generous" month of a working app. I've called them 4 different times they waist about a half hour of my time then the level 2 person tells me they put in a ticket and they'll call me when it's fixed. Onstar has yet to call me back once! Absolutely unacceptable!!! Especially when you only get one month of service VS the 5 years I got with my last truck. Why am I still buying GM?

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Matt. This isn’t the experience we want our customers to have, especially after taking delivery of your vehicle. If you’re still have difficulties with your OnStar please email our team at [email protected] Attention: Onstar (include VIN, contact information). Once our team has received your email, they will be in the best position to assist you. To learn more about our privacy policy please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Anthony J.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t ever plan on using OnStar so I no longer even checked to see if it works or not. Somehow I doubt it, I linked up to my WiFi, showed connected, tried to go to App Store and was constantly getting a message stating OnStar was currently unavailable. I’d be really unhappy if I was paying for that unavailable service. Oh and a WHOLE month “Free” or maybe an extended month if you have issues??? For the kind of money we are paying for these things there should be some sort of benefit. I mean it’s nice enough to have the route to the dealership memorized, from anywhere since we WILL be making multiple visits. 

Edited by SS502
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 4:37 PM, Rocz3cqg said:

Normally a dealership will activate Onstar on the newly purchased vehicle. If it is not working, have you taken it back to service to ensure there is nothing wrong with the system?

When you contact Onstar again, just ask for an extension of the free month. They did have a promotion going on where you could get an additional 2 months free for a total of 3 months.

Call Chevy Care and state your case and see what they can accomplish for your problem. Bottom line, the dealership should have ensured that the system was working.

the first time I got told Onstar would call me back was during the orientation with the salesman, we were told that the hardware was fine and it was an issue in their system. so far the key fob portion of the app has continued to work after the 30days. All I really care about is the remote start so as long as that works I guess I'm good

On 12/30/2018 at 8:48 AM, eppieguy said:

The FOB remote start function does not have any tie to OnStar. Your FOB should always work to start the truck as long as your FOB battery is good.

I was talking about the virtual remote in the App

• 5 weeks later...

I still can no get On Star to connect on my LTZ. 6 weeks, same story open a ticket and will get back to me.

Also of note XM can not send the weather to my radio, same story they have no idea why a new truck radio can't get the weather.

Anyone alse out there with these issues

On 1/29/2019 at 8:09 PM, DBRE said:

I still can no get On Star to connect on my LTZ. 6 weeks, same story open a ticket and will get back to me.

Also of note XM can not send the weather to my radio, same story they have no idea why a new truck radio can't get the weather.

Anyone alse out there with these issues

XM no longer provides weather & traffic with the new generation system (they figured they could charge us more), if you want traffic is only available through the "unlimited access" plan for $30-40 per month. This will also get your weather ap to work or you can work around that by connecting your phone as a hot spot and let the truck use you phone data (traffic will not work that way) First and second level OnStar will likely not be up to speed on this, call GMC Infotainment and they will explain it to their contact at OnStar (if you want to pay that much) 

When I got my new 07 Sierra they had some issues with getting onstar to work. Turned out they had to order a new module as it had come from the factory set up for one type of network or carrier- and that was not going to work here in Colorado so they got a new one sent from GM and 2 weeks after having purchased the truck it was installed with an apology from GM for the inconvenience.  Apology was gracefully accepted by me and I was on my way.  Life was good. 

On 1/31/2019 at 4:13 PM, Colossus said:

When I got my new 07 Sierra they had some issues with getting onstar to work. Turned out they had to order a new module as it had come from the factory set up for one type of network or carrier- and that was not going to work here in Colorado so they got a new one sent from GM and 2 weeks after having purchased the truck it was installed with an apology from GM for the inconvenience.  Apology was gracefully accepted by me and I was on my way.  Life was good. 

that has nothing to do with the issue at hand, we are not experiencing a hardware failure, it's a customer service issue with OnStar not being able to fix registration issues on their end and a complete lack of followup by OnStar

• 5 months later...

OnStar,

I keep reading that the fix/work around for OnStar is my phone. We have paid a ton of money for these trucks i.e. 2018 Silverado LTZ and we should not have to use our dang phone to fix it!. I talk to OnStar about their so called basic plan which is crap I might add...and they assured me I could view maps on my navigation. After an hour of messing with it I still had no maps. I called back to ask  again why I still couldn’t see the maps and they told me that they could not load maps to my truck only turn by turn because they prefer you keep your eyes on the road. But that I could link my phone to use the maps? So they want you to use a 3” screen verse the 8” screen that I paid for? Not to mention that data that they will only give you 3G for a month! What a joke. The worst part about my truck is OnStar and I wish I could take it out all together. 

• 3 months later...

Onstar forces auto buyers to sign up for their services under the facade of "three free months". The clear hope is that you forget to cancel which allows them to quietly bill your credit card until you discover their scam. The dealer told me they should have sent an email indicating the paid subscription was beginning in February but a search through numerous OnStar emails revealed no such notice. When I called to request a credit I was told someone would get in touch with me within 48 hours. After waiting a week or so I called back and was told it could take up to 30 days to review my request. After about 45 days I called back and during that call I was read a maple syrup coated rejection based on their claim that I received uninterrupted OnStar service and therefore didn't qualify for a refund. I complained about their unethical billing practices and asked them to have a supervisor contact me so I could escalate the complaint. I was told someone would be in touch with me within 24 hours but a week has passed with no contact from OnStar. In my opinion OnStar billing practices are subversive, strategic and unethical. I will never use their services nor will I never purchase a vehicle if forced to sign up for OnStar.

I never gave them any information when I bought my truck.  When the 3 months were up service ended.  No harm no foul. Told the salesperson I didn't want to sit with them to do the "welcome call" and that I'd do it on the way home.  Never did it.  No one is forcing you to give them your payment information.

• Like 1