i see e85 mentioned in a ton of these forums, is there a advantage to you guys running e85? I live in a VERY rural area in pennsylvania and just a very select few gas stations carry it , so my one question is why run it and in my case second if i decide to try it with e85 pumps being scarce around here it means id be frequently going back and forth from 87 to e85, plus ive heard yes e85 is cheaper but you dont get the fuel mileage out of it

20181204_165853.jpg

If your truck is flex fuel capable, meaning it has a yellow cap then you can go back and forth on the fuel from 87 to E85 no issues. 

Yes, lower mpg, but it will give you better power.  It is all what you want to do. 

For me the difference in mpg doesn't matter.  I like the fact that it burns cleaner, meaning a cleaner engine inside,  a little power increase, throttle response to me seems sharper, I like the way the exhaust smells.  It also doesn't build up black soot around the tail pipe like regular fuel.  I'll take the hit on mpg to get these little benefits.

The cost is dependent on your mpg drop.  If the cost spread is far enough then it could be cheaper to run as in cost per gallon per mile.  But the way gas is going down, not so much anymore.  Regular here is $2.01 and E85 is $1.86.

One other thing, since you live in PA and the cold, it will be harder to start if you are on E85.  Nature of the beast.

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

If your truck is flex fuel capable, meaning it has a yellow cap then you can go back and forth on the fuel from 87 to E85 no issues. 

Yes, lower mpg, but it will give you better power.  It is all what you want to do. 

For me the difference in mpg doesn't matter.  I like the fact that it burns cleaner, meaning a cleaner engine inside,  a little power increase, throttle response to me seems sharper, I like the way the exhaust smells.  It also doesn't build up black soot around the tail pipe like regular fuel.  I'll take the hit on mpg to get these little benefits.

The cost is dependent on your mpg drop.  If the cost spread is far enough then it could be cheaper to run as in cost per gallon per mile.  But the way gas is going down, not so much anymore.  Regular here is $2.01 and E85 is $1.86.

One other thing, since you live in PA and the cold, it will be harder to start if you are on E85.  Nature of the beast.

Well for me the smell for me is nausiating ,im a pipefitter and we have a ethanol plant around here that i work in periodically and that smell day in and day out is horrible lol corn squeezins haha but besides my personal issue ? i didnt know about the starting issues, i have a 17 ccsb z71 i think it is e85 compatible

20181204_165853.jpg

Just now, Gunslinger354 said:

Well for me the smell for me is nausiating ,im a pipefitter and we have a ethanol plant around here that i work in periodically and that smell day in and day out is horrible lol corn squeezins haha but besides my personal issue ? i didnt know about the starting issues, i have a 17 ccsb z71 i think it is e85 compatible

20181204_165853.jpg

If you have a yellow cap it is.  Also I was talking about the exhaust smell.  Kind of like when you go to a NHRA event and the Pro Stocks are running.  It has a distinct smell. LOL

5 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

If you have a yellow cap it is.  Also I was talking about the exhaust smell.  Kind of like when you go to a NHRA event and the Pro Stocks are running.  It has a distinct smell. LOL

O ya i know the smell......too well 

Read this article from Edmunds. You can decide if you trust them or if it is biased in any way.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

I'll summarize their findings:

e85 cost 22.8% more to drive the same distance. (based on this test from 2007.)

1 minute ago, Gunslinger354 said:

Thanks and im a hour north of johnstown , dubois pa

OK, yeah, I know where that is.  We use to own land at Treasure Lake.

Read this thread and what Cowpie posts.  He explains running E85 very well on cost.

6 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

OK, yeah, I know where that is.  We use to own land at Treasure Lake.

Read this thread and what Cowpie posts.  He explains running E85 very well on cost.

O wow!! Treasure lake is like ten minutes from me! Small world