GM does not show any power or torque increase for the 4.3L running E85 like they do for the 5.3L.  
I ran E85 in my 2017 2500HD 6.0L.  It has to be $ .60 per gallon cheaper to make it cost effective.  It wasn't .60 less than E10 very often.  However, my 6.0L seemed to idle smoother and start easier when using it so I just did most of the time.

16 minutes ago, paracutin said:

GM does not show any power or torque increase for the 4.3L running E85 like they do for the 5.3L.  
I ran E85 in my 2017 2500HD 6.0L.  It has to be $ .60 per gallon cheaper to make it cost effective.  It wasn't .60 less than E10 very often.  However, my 6.0L seemed to idle smoother and start easier when using it so I just did most of the time.

Really? No power increase for 4.3? Then i guess its senseless to run it if it decreases my fuel mileage and gives nothing in return. RATS

48 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Read this article from Edmunds. You can decide if you trust them or if it is biased in any way.

https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

I'll summarize their findings:

e85 cost 22.8% more to drive the same distance. (based on this test from 2007.)

A perfect example of 'numbers don't lie but liars use numbers'. Ethanol producers say "E85 produces less carbon per pound". Yes, true...but you will use enough extra pounds of fuel to be a zero sum game. Same carbon emissions. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gunslinger354 said:

Really? No power increase for 4.3? Then i guess its senseless to run it if it decreases my fuel mileage and gives nothing in return. RATS

Doesn't the Edmonds study show the E85 to be slower in most of their test? Am I reading those right? 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

15 minutes ago, Gunslinger354 said:

I couldn't find any published numbers for E85 in the 4.3L.

15 minutes ago, Gunslinger354 said:

For some power gains, you can always get a tune from Black Bear or any other tuner. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

For some power gains, you can always get a tune from Black Bear or any other tuner. 

Absolutely.  For me, voiding my warranty is NOT an option.  Your feelings may differ.  That's a topic for a different thread :)

I filled up with e85 once while travelling, I wish my state carried it (CT). Much more low end torque, the power improvement is much more noticeable. Loved every minute of running that fuel.

People on this site will tell you it's not cost-effective. This is true that your miles per gallon will suffer, but your SMILES per gallon will go up. Honestly, if you can afford a $40k truck, then saving a few bucks at the pump is the least of your concerns.

If you drive your truck conservatively and make many long trips, gas is your best bet because you will harldy notice the gains of e85. If you like to drive fast every now and then, I'd highly suggest e85 over gas.

I started using E85 on my 17 Sierra 4.3L two tanks ago and I definately feel a difference in power, torque and shifting. The engine just feels so much better, like it is not struggling when accelerating. I always filled up with 87 but decided to switch as there aren't too many mods for increase HP on the 4.3L. I do have the AFM Range device to keep it in V6 all the time.

By the way, how do you like your pedal commander? Was going to get it during black Friday but decided a spray in bedliner and Nitto Ridge Grapplers were a better upgrade for now. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunslinger354 said:

Found this https://www.topspeed.com/trucks/truck-reviews/chevrolet/2016-chevrolet-silverado-ar171299.html

297HP \ E85 and 330Lb-FT Torque

image.thumb.png.c69cbf25764ce5c474e8ee39ea151cd4.png

image.thumb.png.bd098e5a5c42455e7155e2d80aca74d8.png

Edited by Morenar
  • Thanks 1

Zero Black soot out of the tailpipe....

More Power.....

Better Shifting.....

Cooler Running Engine....

Unique Moonshine Smell..... :cheers:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  For me.

Yes, less MPG especially in Winter

The above tradeoffs are worth it to me :thumbs:

Edited by Sierra Dan
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Morenar said:

I started using E85 on my 17 Sierra 4.3L two tanks ago and I definately feel a difference in power, torque and shifting. The engine just feels so much better, like it is not struggling when accelerating. I always filled up with 87 but decided to switch as there aren't too many mods for increase HP on the 4.3L. I do have the AFM Range device to keep it in V6 all the time.

By the way, how do you like your pedal commander? Was going to get it during black Friday but decided a spray in bedliner and Nitto Ridge Grapplers were a better upgrade for now. :D

I love the pedal commander! I run on sport 3 mosg of the time, the pedal lag is gone and it stays in v6 mode all time , if you search coupons for pedal commander u csn find codes for 30 bucks off, best thing i bought love it

Lots of misinformation in this thread.Unlike the 5.3 all of the 4.3 are E85 compatible as a standard regardless of gas cap color and it is a 15hp and 20tq gain at the wheels versus running straight gasoline.You will take roughly a 2.5mpg hit at the pump but it is cheaper per gallon and there is a marked difference in pickup.Next time you run the tank dry go ahead and give it a try

Edited by WHITESSTOWPIG
  • Like 1

I run e85 in my truck it’s cost1.89 in Tennessee where I am and 87 is between 2.02-2.16 on a full tank it shows 366 miles to empty with e85 now with 87 it goes to about 390-430ish. The extra power is nice since I have 33’s 

69A9C38A-896B-4AE2-9084-F8306D2A44AD.jpeg

• Like 1