I don't know who else to ask.  I'd like to buy some speakers for a gift for my husband's 2007 silverado crew cab classic body.  It just has stock everything and the speakers in it are awful. But I don't know what would sound good in there.  He does like bass, but isn't going to be playing anything super loud.  I was looking at the Kicker 43DSC6504 speakers on crutchfield.  And a guy from crutchfield recommended the Kenwood KFC-1666S speakers, but the reviews aren't as good on them as the kickers, especially when it comes to bass.  Which he said "When it comes to bass not a lot of speakers are going to have a lot of bass when using factory or an aftermarket radio for power just because it isn't what they are designed for.  Kicker and Kenwood are actually two speakers brands that have a bit more bass presence than others but the Kenwoods are actually going to be a more full sound because of the limited power."    Which makes sense.  I just don't know what to do.  I don't want to get him something to cheap that he won't like.  I'd like something that sounds decent, especially when it comes to bass.  I wouldn't be concerned but he's picky with sound.  I think he's planning on changing the radio eventually, but I don't know when.  Have any of you changed just the speakers and had decent sound with decent bass?

It does come down to a matched system,I would pick out the radio,even if it's in the future,and purchase speakers to match, sorry,so much for the suprize,tell him,Santa's got questions

Are you having them installed? will you just give the speakers as a gift and have your husband install them?

if you just want to replace the factory speakers, its not too hard to find an upgrade to get improved sound. Just about anything you would buy aftermarket will sound better than stock, but still have less bass than a full new system.

I've replaced the stock 6x9 speakers in other cars with moderately priced speakers and was quite happy with the results.

If he is serious about replacing the head unit soon, you probably want everything to work together, so you may have to ruin the surprise like riverbanks said.

Edited by aseibel

He knows how to install all that stuff.   I might just have to find something else to get him.  It's for his birthday on the 18th.  I know he wants satellite radio, but I don't know if they even sell what he wants with that.  He wants it built in like our van, doesn't want to attach it anywhere, did that and it bugged him or something.  I don't know, I was barely listening to his reasoning. I think it was because it had to be run outside the truck and he hated that.  I think it will be a while on the radio because of that and because he rarely ever spends money on himself.

So, if I were to buy just the speakers would they sound better or worse than what's already in it do you think?  

Edited by justmysideofthestory

As mentioned any after market speaker will be better than the stock ones.

Buy the speakers you like, they will be an improvement.

The good way to get bass is with a sub and amp.

:)

• Like 1

any combo of components will work together, the question i would ask my customers is what kind of music do they listen to, and go from there. the kickers are a good speaker if he likes to crank up the volume, the alpine/kenwood/infinity speakers are good for sound quality, simple speaker replace would go with pioneer. If he plans to upgrade the radio at a later date that would be a huge change in sound. As for more bass, a component speaker would be best but not for what you are looking to do, as the radio its self is not sufficient enough to power components.