Is this normal?

The clunking from my driveline has been getting gradually worse since the truck was new, still has a horrible clunk if it changes down with light throttle which it has done from new, seems like a common problem. I want to know if this is wearing out the rear end or something before the warranty runs out.

The video attachment is sitting still shifting from reverse to drive, I can't tell where this clunk is coming from as it sounds loudest in the middle of the driveshaft so probably echoing from one end or the other. Can't feel or see any movement in u joints.

Is this amount of slack normal & do most of you have this knock when shifting from forward to reverse? http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5c098875c28b1/1544128554.mp4

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Mozzer said:

The clunking from my driveline has been getting gradually worse since the truck was new, still has a horrible clunk if it changes down with light throttle which it has done from new, seems like a common problem. I want to know if this is wearing out the rear end or something before the warranty runs out.

The video attachment is sitting still shifting from reverse to drive, I can't tell where this clunk is coming from as it sounds loudest in the middle of the driveshaft so probably echoing from one end or the other. Can't feel or see any movement in u joints.

Is this amount of slack normal & do most of you have this knock when shifting from forward to reverse? https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5c098875c28b1/1544128554.mp4

Idk but my 17 z71 1500 has a clunk also , noticed it alot tonight driving in town when it shifted gears, i had a 2000 ext cab long bed silverado 1500 that when that sound started it was one of my u-joints or carrier bearing (it was a 3 pc shaft being so long) but it also was over 120k when it started my 17 has 19500 on it, there shouldnt be a clunk

20,000 miles on my 2018 and it clunks. Honestly it's done it since day one, really. Has it gotten worse? I don't know, maybe a little bit. I definitely hear it more when it's a slower situation and it's shifting gears...probably more when downshifting.

2009 SLT 5.3 cannot remember what trans it had but it shifted funny at times but never clunked for 90k miles / 2014 SLT 5.3 6spd clunked for 60k miles / 2016 Denali 6.2 8spd clunked for 25k miles / 2017 Denali Ultimate 6.2 8spd clunked for 20k miles / 2018 Denali Ultimate 6.2 8spd NO CLUNKS but only have around 6k miles so far. The other ones would clunk under very certain conditions typically at slow speed and slightly decreasing speed like in a parking lot maneuver. It felt to me like a hard/harsh downshift. For whatever reason I cannot get this 18 to do it? 

Thanks, I haven't tried it with the wheels off the ground (side stepped the 'rear end' gags) no giggety.

Will do that while putting winter wheels on it next few days & see if I find anything.

Thanks for the input.

My truck does that it's a 99 gmc 1500 4x4 with 158k now I had it up in the air once when I was changing oil checked the front drive shaft it was clanking had some play in it followed it to transfer case clanking was coming from there haven't really messed with it it's been doing it since I bought it cpl months ago rear driveshaft has some play in it too I try not to use 4wheel drive

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

My 15 Colorado had it and I could replicate it pretty consistently. My 17 Silverado only has about 6k but it only happens once every thousand miles or so. Mine seems like a bad low rpm downshift.

Edited by jaxcam02

I had the same problems you all had with my truck and thought that it would never get better so I thought I was just gonna have to deal with it and threw on a lift kit. Then I thought it was the transmission afterwards so I took it in and the dealer said it was the lift causing it which was bulshit cause it was happening before it so I was fed up with it and took the lift off and put it back to stock. And when I was taking the u bolts off I realize d how loose they were when taking off. Made me think so putting back together I used a impact and tightened the crap out of the u bolts nuts and what do you no NO MORE CLUNK!!!!!!!!! Truck drives 100% better now it’ has more torque taking of and put a smile on my face that I didn’t have in since the day I bought it. So I would try that to all those clunkers out there I feel your pain just trying to help. 

• Like 1

I had the same problems you all had with my truck and thought that it would never get better so I thought I was just gonna have to deal with it and threw on a lift kit. Then I thought it was the transmission afterwards so I took it in and the dealer said it was the lift causing it which was bulshit cause it was happening before it so I was fed up with it and took the lift off and put it back to stock. And when I was taking the u bolts off I realize d how loose they were when taking off. Made me think so putting back together I used a impact and tightened the crap out of the u bolts nuts and what do you no NO MORE CLUNK!!!!!!!!! Truck drives 100% better now it’ has more torque taking of and put a smile on my face that I didn’t have in since the day I bought it. So I would try that to all those clunkers out there I feel your pain just trying to help. 
I never would of thought that thanks I'll have to check mine probably gonna need new leaf springs soon anyways cuz there almost flat lol

Hey my buddy bought a 2017 and today we were looking at his leaf springs and they were almost flat also. But do to overload toy hauling but I would definitely check those u bolts I also took the block out from under the leaf springs and put it on top and it feels so much better and looks better also with the stock suspension 

• Like 1

Hey my buddy bought a 2017 and today we were looking at his leaf springs and they were almost flat also. But do to overload toy hauling but I would definitely check those u bolts I also took the block out from under the leaf springs and put it on top and it feels so much better and looks better also with the stock suspension 
IDK if I have blocks on mine don't think I do

5 hours ago, Berry28 said:

Roughly how many “uggah-duggahs” was it? ??. Are we talking two or three or like 14 uggah duggahs?  

??