How does the 2018 5.0 F150 with the 10 speed match up....

Will start off I expect some bias even with me...I've never owned a Ford I've always been a GM and older model Toyota 4x4 guy. 

That said I'm not going to lie I don't think I've seen anything on these 2015+ trucks that just makes me running to dealership to buy one and why I've held off on getting a new vehicle.  I've been looking at 2018 Sierra or Silverado's.  I'm not trading in a vehicle and not that big of a fan of the 2019 GMs to look at them (to get the 10 speed).

I plan to actually start driving some trucks next week my top choice on paper is a 6.2 8 speed GM, but I don't know why the 2018 5.0 F150 has me wanting to take a look.

Any of you driven one or have any friends with one to compare or looked at it yourself?

I will only be looking at 4WD models.  Don't think I'm a fan of the Ford IWE system.  Just something about the 5.0 and 10 speed though.

I test drove a 2018 F150 with the 5.0 and one with the 3.5 ecoboost. I was not impressed with the 5.0, the ecoboost felt similar to my 6.2. I currently have a 2017 Sierra with the 6.2L and the 8 speed. I am not too happy with my truck thats why I'm looking at Fords, problem is to get an F150 with leather, 4x4 and crewcab you have get a Lariat and I couldn't find one that stickered for under 60k. XLTs don't have the options my SLT has so I'm still trying to decide what to do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mferry22 said:

I test drove a 2018 F150 with the 5.0 and one with the 3.5 ecoboost. I was not impressed with the 5.0, the ecoboost felt similar to my 6.2. I currently have a 2017 Sierra with the 6.2L and the 8 speed. I am not too happy with my truck thats why I'm looking at Fords, problem is to get an F150 with leather, 4x4 and crewcab you have get a Lariat and I couldn't find one that stickered for under 60k. XLTs don't have the options my SLT has so I'm still trying to decide what to do. 

Almost exactly what I have found, but I am finding now since its close out some 2018s with leather for around $40k.  Looking online couldn't believe the cloth interiors. 

I'm very simple in my list of wants.

Good reliable power/drive terrain.  Want to be able to tow ~9k lbs a couple times of year if I want to take the tractor to the hunt club

solid 4x4

Leather Seats

Decent radio/infotainment

Don't let some folks scare you about the 6.2 and the 8 speed. The people with the problems are always the loudest. I have a 17 with the 8 speed and the 6.2 and love it. Did I have a slight converter shudder, sure, that's what the warranty is for. Was it so bad I thought the world was gonna end? No. I write service for a Chevy/Cadillac dealer and I can tell you the issue is not nearly as widespread as this forum would lead you to believe. I drive the ever-living sh*t out of mine, mildly off-road it, and have no issues. My neighbor bought a 2018 Ecoboot that he says is faster than mine, but from seat of the pants feel, I think he's under the influence of the sticker price he paid....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really think the F-150 with the 3.5EB, 10-speed appears to be a great, reliable truck.  I test drove a few of them (before deciding on my SLT 5.3L) and they were really nice engines with good gearing.  Also drove the 5.0L and it was nice, but the 3.5EB was nicer and more responsive.

I ended up not getting the Ford due to value (or at least perceived value).  I was 25% off MSRP on my GMC SLT and the Ford was going to be the same price, but was missing some nice features I was looking for (leather, auto 4WD, nicer wheels).

Go shop each, see which is the better price and pick the one you like best.  No bad decisions there.  Unless you go Ram, then it's a bad decision :uhoh:

• Like 1

I think you should test drive both trucks and see which one fits your needs and budget. I think Fords are good trucks but I've had a GM pickup since 2001 so the Ford feels foreign to me but I was impressed with the 3.5 ecoboost, not so much the 5.0.

Agreed. I shopped a Ford Raptor 3.5EB and the 6.2L LTZ (Centennial). I really like the shift timing and perfomance on the Ford. Off the dealers lot, I'd say it is better. But, this is my 6th or 7th GM truck, and I just don't like the interior or steering feel of Fords. Plus they have one color leather on Raptors: black. 

After getting my Centennial 13k miles ago, and updating the engine tune, I really like it. It doesn't shift as well (seems to be optimized for gas milage, not perf), but a local shop (and BlackBear) will tune the shifts to whereever I want them. I havn't spent the money to do it yet, and might never, since I sort of get used to it. Can't go wrong with either, if you like the looks and the options. 

Edited by ftwhite

I test drove an XLT with the 5.0 before I bought my GMC SLT with the 6.2. I liked the 5.0 performance, good acceleration and shifting, but the XLT was almost $3,000 more than the loaded out SLT, the Lariat was $10,000 more! 

19 minutes ago, draperfish said:

I test drove an XLT with the 5.0 before I bought my GMC SLT with the 6.2. I liked the 5.0 performance, good acceleration and shifting, but the XLT was almost $3,000 more than the loaded out SLT, the Lariat was $10,000 more! 

Thats what I found. I emailed or called 5 of the closest dealerships to me and told them I wanted a crewcab with leather, 3.5 Ecoboost and a sticker under 60k with 3.55 gearing. They couldn't find anything, so they asked if I wanted an XLT and they could have leather installed. The XLT doesn't have the options my SLT has so I didn't do it. F150s are expensive for sure.

• Like 1

Since your list of wants is so short I wouldn’t pass up a deal on either brand with cloth seats then have Katzkins installed (or if your handy with the tools do it yourself save some more $) If you’ve never rode in a vehicle with them or seen them in person call around to your local interior/truck accessories shops and ask them next time they are doing a set if you can come see them for yourself (a lot of these places will have them in their own/shop trucks also). IMO they are as nice if not nicer than most stock “leather” seats anyway and if you want/can spend a little more you have tons of options as far as colors, piping, two tones, ect.  The basic black kit for a GM crew cab can be found on sale for 550ish online if doing them yourself or installed most shops around here anyway quoted between 1200-1500 for the kit and installation with the jump seat couple hundred less with the console.