In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

engine stop start

I don't hate it. Strong dislike. Still trying to get in the habit of hitting the button after starting. Slow learner.  I would disable hood switch if this is a cure and it doesn't affect anything else. I've got 2100 miles.
The hood switch is part of the security system.. Your auto start ..
Modify electronics at your own risk!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:16 PM, CptCook said:

Ummmm,  Starman, the small bit you are missing is that there is already a factory installed switch on the center stack of the dashboard.

yea but it resets every time you turn the truck off, so you have to turn it off every single time you start it. It's quite annoying

• Like 1

I was also going to say that messing with the hood latch will disable remote start. I have only driven 1 car with auto stop, and I got used to it pretty quickly. I think I would leave it on most of the time, it barely affects normal driving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevenStarke said:
On 12/8/2018 at 8:16 PM, CptCook said:

Ummmm,  Starman, the small bit you are missing is that there is already a factory installed switch on the center stack of the dashboard.

yea but it resets every time you turn the truck off, so you have to turn it off every single time you start it. It's quite annoying

Thank you. 

If you want to keep the remote start operational but disable the other system - you could run a bypass circuit using a relay. It would be easy to set it up so that the hood switch circuit is broken only when the engine is on. When the engine is off, the relay would close the circuit, allowing the remote start to work. This may help keep the security system fully functional as well. You could even put a manual bypass toggle switch on there too, so that you can easily enable the system if you wanted to. 

The whole setup would cost about $20, and would take an hour or so to hook up. 

Here is all you would need: 

24V-SPDT-Mini-ISO-Relay-75643_f.png

9f135a981b412b49edd42d9619ab6b73--orange-color-copper-wire.jpg

dedc-480pcs-insulated-wiring-terminals-wire-connectors-assortment-electrical-crimp-terminals-kit-cri__61wJxwtLMtL.jpg

Z-s2s0ocpEx_.JPG

7 minutes ago, starman8tdc said:

If you want to keep the remote start operational but disable the other system - you could run a bypass circuit using a relay. It would be easy to set it up so that the hood switch circuit is broken only when the engine is on. When the engine is off, the relay would close the circuit, allowing the remote start to work. This may help keep the security system fully functional as well. You could even put a manual bypass toggle switch on there too, so that you can easily enable the system if you wanted to. 

The whole setup would cost about $20, and would take an hour or so to hook up. 

Here is all you would need: 

24V-SPDT-Mini-ISO-Relay-75643_f.png

9f135a981b412b49edd42d9619ab6b73--orange-color-copper-wire.jpg

dedc-480pcs-insulated-wiring-terminals-wire-connectors-assortment-electrical-crimp-terminals-kit-cri__61wJxwtLMtL.jpg

Z-s2s0ocpEx_.JPG

1. would it throw a light when the truck is on telling you the hood is open?

2. If the hood was open and truck was running, you wouldn't know

I don't own a vehicle with the "engine start/stop" feature. 

I'm not suggesting that people modify their vehicles. 

If they are going to disable the hood switch anyway, I have simply listed out a few different options that may improve the modification. 

As far as disabling the hood switch goes, I am neither for it or against it. I'm absolutely sure that the dealer would not recommend "disabling" anything on the vehicle by removing hood safety switches. If you want to talk people out of doing it, you should talk to the person that posted the original question, or people that own that type of rig.

I need no convincing. 

If someone is going to modify their rig anyway, is it OK to throw some ideas out there that may help them out? 

WOW are we getting lazy, Really,,,, push start, then press auto start off.     I remember manually unlock door with key, put key in ignition, push in clutch, shift into neutral, pull out choke, pump gas pedal, then step on starter pedal  and nobody was on  the forum whining.  Of course this was my 1951 chevy truck.   :lol::)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, SAMS819 said:

WOW are we getting lazy, Really,,,, push start, then press auto start off.     I remember manually unlock door with key, put key in ignition, push in clutch, shift into neutral, pull out choke, pump gas pedal, then step on starter pedal  and nobody was on  the forum whining.  Of course this was my 1951 chevy truck.   :lol::)

Good times man. I can respect that  -   Old school. 

I was looking at a 1950's Ford today. Not sure why, but I kinda liked it. I sat in the drivers seat and turned the steering wheel back and fourth like I was a kid in a toy car - in the old magazine pictures. I thought about what it would be like to have a manual choke, pump the gas peddle, no air bag - kinda car. I thought I might buy it and drive it around. 

the-settrington-cup-is-where-the-kids-get-to-race-at-goodwood-1476934215494-1000x667.jpg

63549468-770-0@2X.jpg

7 minutes ago, starman8tdc said:

Good times man. I can respect that  -   Old school. 

I was looking at a 1950's Ford today. Not sure why, but I kinda liked it. I sat in the drivers seat and turned the steering wheel back and fourth like I was a kid in a toy car - in the old magazine pictures. I thought about what it would be like to have a manual choke, pump the gas peddle, no air bag - kinda car. I thought I might buy it and drive it around. 

the-settrington-cup-is-where-the-kids-get-to-race-at-goodwood-1476934215494-1000x667.jpg

63549468-770-0@2X.jpg

With all the crap going on with the car makers right now, I'm thinking more and more to get me a nice Jeep J10 again .

Yes, I know, lots of evenings with dirty hands and always the little creeper crawling up my neck, waiting for the next stumble of the engine or whatever.

But I remember that this was actually the fun of having an old truck. For the money I would spent on a new truck, I could get a f*cking mint J10 or Gladiator.

And he'd tow my boat just fine.

so long

j-ten-ner

19 hours ago, SAMS819 said:

There was no online forums back then! Ha ha ha. Just the local hardware store shooting the shit with your colleagues about how great life is!

• Thanks 1