Allison Farewell in 2020?

19 hours ago, silveradosid said:

Lol your a real truck driver and don't need an automatic and I can tell you that disc brakes are not that great with maintenance 

Yeah that "real truck driver" stuff is thrown around by folks who have never really done much with trucking.   One thing I have learned is to work smarter, not harder.  I would like to see those that use that term "real truck driver" handle a 4x4 double transmission on a hill with 45,000 lb in the box and no power steering.  I am quite tired enough of even dealing with the nice and easy 18 speed in mine.  I would much rather have Allison do the work for me.   Nothing left to prove.  Plenty of worn out T shirts of all my adventures.  Now time to just take advantage of some of the newer technology if I buy another tractor.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2018 at 7:05 PM, NOVA99 said:

Allison is the greatest.  Part of the reason I own the DMax/Allison platform is because of the drivetrain alone; even with some of the GM shortcomings like small cabs, no pano roof, offset steering wheel, lack of HVAC in rear seat of crew cab, etc.  Sounds like a true Allison is gone?  I love more gears and an Allison 10 SPD sounds awesome...but it will not be an Allison built in Indy (Speedway).  Just a marketing strategy with a name slapped on the hood.    Developing of course...True/False..or Comments?

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/12/2020-silverado-hds-allison-transmission-isnt-really-an-allison/

The Allison they've been using this whole time was built in a GM transmission plant in Baltimore. 

https://plants.gm.com/Facilities/public/us/en/baltimore/news.html

2 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

The Allison they've been using this whole time was built in a GM transmission plant in Baltimore. 

https://plants.gm.com/Facilities/public/us/en/baltimore/news.html

And GM owned Allison when the transmission for the pickups was developed....

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0723542720070807

Yes, I realize improvements have been made to it to get match the upgrades to the Dmax.

• Like 1

Yep. They've been pretty adamant in stating that the 10-speed was developed with involvement of Allison's engineers during development, testing and validation. Some gears are calling it marketing speak but the quotes I read were by engineers. Typically when engineers talk about testing and validation, it means actual testing and validation. 

If this is a deal breaker, they must not realize that the L5P had way less involvement by Isuzu than the previous engines did.

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2018 at 8:08 PM, pronstar said:

Interesting.

GM tranny, branded and tested by Allison.

Is the current tranny a true Allison, or the same dealio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

More like Ford trans, tweaked by GM, tested and badged by Allison. 

You do realize this is just an up-sized version of the Ford-designed 10R80/10L80, right? 

It's just a larger diameter case/shaft/clutch variation of the same Ford-engineered transmission architecture.  

And before anyone bothers to quote press releases, the 10-speed RWD transmission was NOT an equal cooperation between Ford and GM. 

Ford took on the 10-speed RWD transmission engineering duties and GM took the 9-speed FWD transaxle engineering duties in return.  That was how the JV actually worked.  

• 8 months later...

I recently purchased a 2020 Chevy silverado 3200, duramax -10 speed "Allison" equipped.  As I was driving off of the dealership lot and coming to a low speed stop, the truck lurched abruptly forward and then sharply rebounded in manner that resembled the sensation of being struck from behind by a following vehicle. The service dept. at the dealership advised that this is a "known transmission issue" with GM and a TSB has been issued. I asked how many vehicles are involved but could not get a clear answer to that question.  I am wondering if other contributors to this forum have any additional info.

On 3/16/2019 at 8:31 AM, Honor Bound said:

More like Ford trans, tweaked by GM, tested and badged by Allison. 

You do realize this is just an up-sized version of the Ford-designed 10R80/10L80, right? 

It's just a larger diameter case/shaft/clutch variation of the same Ford-engineered transmission architecture.  

And before anyone bothers to quote press releases, the 10-speed RWD transmission was NOT an equal cooperation between Ford and GM. 

Ford took on the 10-speed RWD transmission engineering duties and GM took the 9-speed FWD transaxle engineering duties in return.  That was how the JV actually worked.  

Yes, ford did the LD rwd 10 speed and GM did the 9 speed FWD,

Both the HD transmissions were developed outside the JV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/23/2019 at 10:41 AM, not happy said:

I recently purchased a 2020 Chevy silverado 3200, duramax -10 speed "Allison" equipped.  As I was driving off of the dealership lot and coming to a low speed stop, the truck lurched abruptly forward and then sharply rebounded in manner that resembled the sensation of being struck from behind by a following vehicle. The service dept. at the dealership advised that this is a "known transmission issue" with GM and a TSB has been issued. I asked how many vehicles are involved but could not get a clear answer to that question.  I am wondering if other contributors to this forum have any additional info.

I have a GMC 3500HD Denali Diesel.  At 500 miles I've noticed a cowling/howling vibration sound when doing 73-75 MPH.  After playing around with manual shifting, this issue only occurs when in 10th gear.  If I drop it to 9th, it goes away at that speed.  But then when I drive 68 MPH in 9th, I get the same issue until I drop it into 8th.  In both instances, the tach read exactly 1500 RPM.  I've also had a few instances of the same noise with jerkiness when decelerating quickly between 50 and 40 MPH.  Taking to dealer next week.  Hoping it is a reprogramming but knowing how GMC has been lately, they will probably say it is a known issue and we're "working on it".  Deal with it until we fix it.  Seems to be their MO in recent years.

Allison has no say in GM transmission specifications. GM got the rights to build the Allison 1000 Series transmission in GM factories (Baltimore) as part of the sale of Allison away from GM (Allison had been part of GM since 1915). 

It turns out the owner of the dealership where I purchased my 2020 silverado 3500 has a brother who purchased an identical vehicle and had an identical problem with his. Needless to say, a couple of GM engineers responded to diagnose the problem and concluded that 4 one use bolts that attach the transfer case to the transmission were slightly out of line, presumably because they were "undertorqued" and had slipped slightly out of alignment as a result.  New bolts were ordered ( it took three weeks to receive them )  and were installed and realigned but torqued now to 70 NM instead of the factory 35 nm.  This procedure fixed the problem on both the dealership's brother's and my identical vehicle.

1 hour ago, Sonny James said:

I have a GMC 3500HD Denali Diesel.  At 500 miles I've noticed a cowling/howling vibration sound when doing 73-75 MPH.  After playing around with manual shifting, this issue only occurs when in 10th gear.  If I drop it to 9th, it goes away at that speed.  But then when I drive 68 MPH in 9th, I get the same issue until I drop it into 8th.  In both instances, the tach read exactly 1500 RPM.  I've also had a few instances of the same noise with jerkiness when decelerating quickly between 50 and 40 MPH.  Taking to dealer next week.  Hoping it is a reprogramming but knowing how GMC has been lately, they will probably say it is a known issue and we're "working on it".  Deal with it until we fix it.  Seems to be their MO in recent years.

Probably doesn't help you but I have almost 14,000 miles on mine now and it has been flawless, big improvement over my 2017 2500 with the 6spd.  Hopefully its just an isolated issue on yours.

1 hour ago, not happy said:

It turns out the owner of the dealership where I purchased my 2020 silverado 3500 has a brother who purchased an identical vehicle and had an identical problem with his. Needless to say, a couple of GM engineers responded to diagnose the problem and concluded that 4 one use bolts that attach the transfer case to the transmission were slightly out of line, presumably because they were "undertorqued" and had slipped slightly out of alignment as a result.  New bolts were ordered ( it took three weeks to receive them )  and were installed and realigned but torqued now to 70 NM instead of the factory 35 nm.  This procedure fixed the problem on both the dealership's brother's and my identical vehicle.

Hi Not Happy, when you said you had an identical problem, were you referring to my post and the 1500 RPM / 73 MPH / 68 MPH issues?

9 hours ago, Sonny James said:

Hi Not Happy, when you said you had an identical problem, were you referring to my post and the 1500 RPM / 73 MPH / 68 MPH issues?

Not sure if this is the same coastdown/decel noise, but there is a bulletin regarding one that can be documented at a slower speeds.

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=12285

Transfer Case NVH Issue During Coast Down

November 20, 2019

A transfer case noise, vibration and harness (NVH) concern may be found on some 2020 Silverado 2500HD/3500HD and Sierra 2500HD/3500HD models equipped transfer cases RPO NQF (Electric Shift Cont, Two Speed Transfer Case) or NQH (Active, Two Speed, Switch Activated Transfer Case). In some instances, a clunk sound may be heard during a coast-down event.

The NVH condition may be the result of a misalignment between the transmission output shaft and the transfer case input. (Fig. 15) The misalignment could cause the transfer case shift collar to slip out of engagement.

F15-trans-1.jpgFig. 15

If these conditions are evident, road test the vehicle up to 40 mph (64 km/h) on a smooth, flat road. Allow the vehicle to coast in Drive to below 10 mph (16 km/h), without using the brakes, and listen and feel for any bumps or clunk sounds from under the vehicle. Repeat these steps at least eight times in order to verify the condition.

If the sound is verified to be from the transfer case, the transmission output shaft may be misaligned. It will be necessary to disconnect and reconnect the transfer case to the transmission.

Misalignment Correction

Remove the three transmission mount nuts, the rubber hose from the transmission crossmember, and the transmission crossmember. Also remove the transmission mount from the transmission and discard the mount bolts.

Loosen all 12 transfer case bolts, but do not remove the bolts. It may be helpful to use a screw jack to raise and lower the transmission for better access to all of the bolts.

With the bolts loosened, slide the transfer case rearward so there is a minimum gap of 1/2 inch (13 mm), but not more than 1 inch (25 mm). (Fig. 16) Next, slide the transfer case forward until it is contacting the transmission again.

F16-trans-2.jpgFig. 16

Tighten the 12 transfer case bolts in the following sequence. Torque the bolts to 41 lb.-ft. (55 Nm). (Fig. 17)

F17-trans-3.jpgFig. 17

TIP: When tightening bolts 10, 11, and 12 in the sequence, remove the bolts and clean the threads on each bolt and in the transmission with brake cleaner, and then blow out the hole with compressed air to ensure there is no fluid left in it. Failure to do this may lead to stripped threads.

Be sure to use two new bolts when installing the transmission mount on the transmission.

Reinstall the transmission mount nuts and the rubber hose to the transmission crossmember.

Refer to Bulletin #19-NA-216 for additional information.