Sumosprings to reduce rear sag with Trailer.

I have a 2017 Silverado CC LTZ 4x4. When towing my trailer with 900lbs of tongue weight I sag roughly 3.5 inches. Will Sumosprings help reduce the sag? If so, there is a 1000lbs  or 1500lbs capacity. Any recommendations or even better, I would like to read your experience with photos...

Experienced the Timbrens and while they manage the sag/squat they are really rough when driving with out a load. Can really feel and hear the impact with 1.5" of clearance. I currently use 1000 lbs Blu Ox WDH and it helps reduce the sag/squat by 1".

can you load your trailer differently? Tongue weight should be 10% of trailer weight- are you pulling a 9,000lb trailer?

Like you, I tried timbrens and hated the ride with an empty bed. I went and installed hellwig helper springs instead. I really like them. But I don't pull any trailers as heavy as you say. I have not tried sumo springs.

I think if I was going to max out my towing, I would just use airbags and inflate them when trailering.

• Like 1

Depending on how often you tow and how close you are to maxing out your truck you might want to consider a 2500HD.

Your truck can tow somewhere between 6100lb and 10800lb depending on how it is equipped.  10% - 15% of that, up to 1250lb, can be tongue weight.

I have the blue ox wdh.  Although my trailer is only 7K gross, I have a canopy and carry a lot of gear in the box of the truck.  My truck rides level or better without any aftermarket helpers for my rear axle.  I suspect that you may not be taking full advantage of the wdh and would benefit from having a demonstration by a technician trained in the proper use of the blue ox.

With the Blue ox wdh I sag about 2". I have a 2.5" level up front so 2" is noticible when towing. my trailer hitch weight is 825 fully loaded however with generator and extras in bed I assume about 900+ in total weight at tongue. Wondering if Sumosprings would  reduce sag any.

With the Blue ox wdh I sag about 2". I have a 2.5" level up front so 2" is noticible when towing. my trailer hitch weight is 825 fully loaded however with generator and extras in bed I assume about 900+ in total weight at tongue. Wondering if Sumosprings would  reduce sag any.

Well, there is your problem. A stock truck sits pretty level with 2” sag, but you dun gone and messed that up with your unlevel-while-towing kit.

Anyway, yes, SumoSprings will reduce sag when loaded. They will also have an affect on the ride when unloaded.

They are like a non adjustable air bag basically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Ha! I think you are right. I just ordered 2.5" rear blocks which, after removing stock 1.25" blocks, should lift the rear 1.25". With a 2" squat all should good...I hope.Still going with Sumo 1000lb cap. In case I put a heavy load in bed without wdh and trailer. 

1 hour ago, Rukus said:

airbag assist set is the way to go.   I tow 4000# trailer with (2) full dressed Harleys (2000#) and you wouldn't even know it was back there.   Air down when no load.

Air bags are a nice option but not confident in them. Only tow my trailer 6-7 times a year. Had firestone's on my last truck and had two leaks. Don't want to deal with maintenance. Just want a little more support that's why the Sumosprings seem like a decent option. As I said, tried Timbrens which worked but to harsh with no load.

I have Sumo's on my 17.  I got a 7" lift on 35's and pull a 9000lb toy hauler.  I don't care how well your WDH is setup you're always going to get some sag when adding that much tongue weight.  They helped me out tremendously and keep me level.  Didn't affect the unloaded ride quality at all

Correction...  I have Super Springs not Sumo's.  Made by the same folks .  Sumo's wouldn't work because Im lifted

Edited by Jacoby
  • Thanks 1