2019 Chevy Silverado Fuel Economy Surprise - Headed Down, Not Up

Gorehamj

On 1/1/2019 at 12:19 AM, TXGREEK said:

Today I drove my 18 SLT CC 6.2 with a 4-5” CST lift over 100 highway miles with cruise set to 70 plus, decided to check the mileage half way into the drive.

Checked later and it jumped to 21.4 mpgs.

Over 21 mpg with a lift is very good. 

I just did 1,000 highway km in my truck.  2018, 5.3L, air dam delete, winter tires, tonneau cover, winter gas.  It got a respectable 11.3 L/100km (21 mpg US).  It can do better in the summer. 

• Like 1

Over 21 mpg with a lift is very good. 

I just did 1,000 highway km in my truck.  2018, 5.3L, air dam delete, winter tires, tonneau cover, winter gas.  It got a respectable 11.3 L/100km (21 mpg US).  It can do better in the summer. 

That’s great, it’s funny how you’ll hear “oh it’s a truck what do you expect?” but getting extra mpg’s especially on a road trip is a pretty great feeling. Your truck is definitely a keeper! Great to hear it!

Sent from above

Just now, TXGREEK said:

That’s great, it’s funny how you’ll hear “oh it’s a truck what do you expect?” but getting extra mpg’s especially on a road trip is a pretty great feeling. Your truck is definitely a keeper! Great to hear it!

I could have driven my wife's Mini Countryman, and saved some fuel cost, but that vehicle seems to be having some battery charging issues, which I did not want to worry about.  The truck is quieter, and more comfortable.  I'll pay a fuel economy penalty, to a point.  If the truck got 13mpg, it would have been a no-go for the trip. 

• Like 1

I could have driven my wife's Mini Countryman, and saved some fuel cost, but that vehicle seems to be having some battery charging issues, which I did not want to worry about.  The truck is quieter, and more comfortable.  I'll pay a fuel economy penalty, to a point.  If the truck got 13mpg, it would have been a no-go for the trip. 

Hope you work it out with the Mini. Enjoy your truck, be safe

Sent from above

• 2 months later...

EPA numbers are garbage, I've gotten better than EPA on my 2012 F-150 and now the 2019 Silverado.

My 2016 F-150 got worse gas mileage after I had the shell put on it.

I just posted about gas mileage before seeing this thread. Do not believe anything from the EPA, my Benz got worse gas mileage and my Audi got way better gas mileage.

That's one of the reasons why I suggest people rent a similar car so they'd know what gas mileage to expect. I'm a hypermiler and I employ all kinds of techniques to maximize gas mileage such as rarely braking, hardly pushing the gas pedal, and others.