New 2018 GMC Sierra SLT. On the fence about purchasing.

So I've always wanted a pickup truck, and after seeing my dad's brand new 2019 Sierra Denali Ultimate, I was pretty much sold on a GMC.  He just traded his 2009 Denali for it.  I'm presently looking to trade my 2017 Subaru Forester, as my wife and I are expecting a 3rd child and cannot fit three child seats in the Subaru under any circumstances.  I'm pretty sure 3 child seats across in a Sierra Crew Cab isn't a problem.

I visited the dealer and after giving me pricing on the 2019's, I just couldn't wrap my head around it.  The promotions on the 2018's are pretty aggressive, and after driving an SLT I realized it is a pretty nice truck as well.  The trucks they're showing me are SLT Premium Plus models either in Cardinal Red or Tricoat White with sunroof,   Sticker of about $57k.  With supplier discount they can get it down to about $47k, which is hard to walk away from.  My biggest gripe about the 2018 is that it doesn't have push button start.  It's not a huge deal, but still seems silly that a car doesn't have this feature in 2018.  

Any advice?  Does anybody have experience with a Sierra Crew Cab with 3 kids?  Do I hold out for promotions to kick in on 2019 SLT's?  I have until July, so not in a rush, but I know holiday promotions tend to be the most aggressive of the year.

Thanks in advance for your help!

8 minutes ago, fotomatt1 said:

So I've always wanted a pickup truck, and after seeing my dad's brand new 2019 Sierra Denali Ultimate, I was pretty much sold on a GMC.  He just traded his 2009 Denali for it.  I'm presently looking to trade my 2017 Subaru Forester, as my wife and I are expecting a 3rd child and cannot fit three child seats in the Subaru under any circumstances.  I'm pretty sure 3 child seats across in a Sierra Crew Cab isn't a problem.

I visited the dealer and after giving me pricing on the 2019's, I just couldn't wrap my head around it.  The promotions on the 2018's are pretty aggressive, and after driving an SLT I realized it is a pretty nice truck as well.  The trucks they're showing me are SLT Premium Plus models either in Cardinal Red or Tricoat White with sunroof,   Sticker of about $57k.  With supplier discount they can get it down to about $47k, which is hard to walk away from.  My biggest gripe about the 2018 is that it doesn't have push button start.  It's not a huge deal, but still seems silly that a car doesn't have this feature in 2018.  

Any advice?  Does anybody have experience with a Sierra Crew Cab with 3 kids?  Do I hold out for promotions to kick in on 2019 SLT's?  I have until July, so not in a rush, but I know holiday promotions tend to be the most aggressive of the year.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Unless you need the truck for the bed and for towing, then go for the Traverse.  Bigger than the Acadia and more room than the Tahoe believe or not.

The Subuaru Ascent is really nice too. 

I’m done with Subaru after 6 of them. Quality and customer service has gone down hill in a big way. I don’t particularly care for the traverse. I don’t “need” the truck but really like them. If I wanted a 3 row crossover I’d probably look at a VW Atlas but I’m trying to avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 kids and just traded my 2011 F150 supercrew on a 2018 Sierra Denali crew.   Prior to the F150 I had a 2003 GMC Yukon XL SLT which was awesome when the boys were really little.

My boys are older now (13 & 11) but the younger one still uses a Britax Parkway booster as he’s a small kid for 11.  One thing to keep in mind with the Sierra is there is no LATCH system in the middle position of the rear seat - in case that’s important to you.  I always hated having to use the vehicles seat belts for securing car seats myself but that’s what you’ll need to do if you need 3 across in a Sierra.

I do agree with you about the lack of push button start on a 2018 vehicle (particularly my Denali!).  Just seems weird to me for it to not have it on a vehicle like this.

Edited by BillK01

35 minutes ago, fotomatt1 said:

The trucks they're showing me are SLT Premium Plus models either in Cardinal Red or Tricoat White with sunroof,   Sticker of about $57k.  With supplier discount they can get it down to about $47k, which is hard to walk away from. 

You should be able to get a better price than that. My sticker on an SLT Premium Price was $59,200 and I got it for $43,800. 

I have 2 kids and just traded my 2011 F150 supercrew on a 2018 Sierra Denali crew.   Prior to the F150 I had a 2003 GMC Yukon XL SLT which was awesome when the boys were really little.

My boys are older now (13 & 11) but the younger one still uses a Britax Parkway booster as he’s a small kid for 11.  One thing to keep in mind with the Sierra is there is no LATCH system in the middle position of the rear seat - in case that’s important to you.  I always hated having to use the vehicles seat belts for securing car seats myself but that’s what you’ll need to do if you need 3 across in a Sierra.

I do agree with you about the lack of push button start on a 2018 vehicle (particularly my Denali!).  Just seems weird to me for it to not have it on a vehicle like this.

Is totally overlook it in a 2018 Denali because it has so many other features although the SLT Premium Plus is pretty nicely equipped. Almost $200 / month difference between the two despite only a $6k sticker price difference.

Most 3 across vehicles don’t have LATCH in the middle seat....only the 2019 RAM 1500. Apparently in my research I discovered that LATCH is only good up to 66lb child / seat combined....after which I’d need to use the seatbelt anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, draperfish said:

You should be able to get a better price than that. My sticker on an SLT Premium Price was $59,200 and I got it for $43,800. 

Was this recently?  Dealer was crying the blues to me about having to give Supplier Discount price, telling me it's not supported by GM, but he has to offer the price.  Right now, GM is offering supplier discount to EVERYBODY, so I find it hard to believe they're not getting it on the back end.

9 hours ago, fotomatt1 said:

With supplier discount they can get it down to about $47k, which is hard to walk away from.

That's easy to walk away from.  I bought my SLT in October.  Crew, short bed, 4x4, Z71, Sunroof, Premium Plus, Quicksilver Metallic paint, floor liners, 6.2L - $44,055 out the door before tax.  Sticker was 61k before any discounts.  

Check out Laura Buick-GMC.  I took a $150 flight and drove 6 hours home with it.  Worth burning a Saturday for that kind of savings.  Honestly, the deals are for the Denali's right now.  I could have bought a Denali Ultimate right now similar to mine for about $4500 more than I paid.  

Every dealer is going to tell you a different story. Year end models are going to be priced all over the place, how bad does the dealer want to sell it, have they had any interest in it? who knows. You should be able to get 15-20% off sticker price before tax. So $45,600 would be a very good price on a $57k sticker.

If you can check online or e-mail some other local dealers and check their prices for comparables. Then you'll know if you are content with the price with the current deals going on.

As for the kids seats- we have 2 in the back of my CC, and my wife used to sit between them during long trips to feed, etc. So there is plenty of room to put 3 child seats in. Don't worry about using the belt in the middle, that's what you are supposed to do with boosters anyway. So much more space than my wife's GMC Terrain.

Im in PA but a neighboring dealer in Ohio has 1 2018 Denali left priced at $46,700
Its so tempting to purchase but it has the 5.3 id rather have the 6.2 and id be sold. I hate to give up my 14 slt allterrain though after all the work put into it and only 37k miles on it. 65774601010a744cb5c85e5ff442aa90.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

• Like 1