12/10/18 (HD's) More Diesels than 6.0 on dealer lots (?)

Seems GM over produced the diesel ...

just visit online any dealer inventory and see for yourself ...

8 pages of trucks with 1 page of 6.0's

https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&bodyType=TRUCK&model=Sierra 2500HD

It's about half and half here in South Central PA.  Everyone have been with the plow prep package.  I was super lucky to find mine with the Bose, Z71, Blue, and plow prep in the 6.0 gas.  It took me almost 3 weeks to find it and I almost ordered it.

Assuming this is Massachusetts, It's WAY out of the norm. Mass is not a diesel friendly state, most of the time, a dealership will only have 1-2 diesels and dozens of gas trucks.

Most likely a cost issue, as in the new 2019 trucks are getting on the lot and the old stock is sitting around, so dealers are dropping prices, but the premium for the diesel does not allow for such deep cuts as the gaser trucks, hence, they are moving off the lot slower.

I was shopping hard about two months ago for either a new 2018 or a barely used 2018 diesel.  I didn’t run across many gas units. They didn’t want to deal much on the new trucks or on the used trucks. What’s funny is that a lot of those used trucks are still on the lot. I think this is one more sign of car sales slowing down as the economy starts to slow down. It’s really a stretch to spend well over 50 K on a new pick up truck and I have a feeling sales of these really expensive trucks are going to tank  as the economy slows down. Super expensive luxury type stuff is the first to be hit and while these trucks may not be super expensive like yachts or planes, a $60k diesel truck is definitely a “want” and not a “need” for 95% of the people who own them. 

agree - I'm shopping for another NEW 6.0 (no rush) and the obvious issue is if we have a major economy slow down new truck prices OTD will easily drop and my trade in will be of some decent value being in the $ 20,000 -30,000 range for used shoppers ... just  not seeing many new 6.0's in the Northeast. My friend bought a 2019 diesel and easily got a great deal ( vs typical hard nose salesman dealer tactics)

GM Full Size Trucks / Full Size SUV's make up the majority of the profits (as per GM Insider past issues)  ... the higher the MSRP the more profit percentage ...

https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/

• 1 month later...

I have a dealer searching for a 2019 Denali with a 6.0 in it.  He found 20 trucks in the color I want (White Frost Tricoat) in a 350 mile radius and he can't get a dealer to swap one with him.  He even went bottom line on a price for one (Summit White) he has on his lot to see if I was interested.  If I had a 5th wheel camper I was towing I would get the diesel but the 6.0 is more than adequate for what I need the truck for.  I have given him until the end of the month then I'm going to order one.  He told me straight up he doesn't stock them on his lot because everybody that comes to him for that type of truck wants a diesel.  I went to the 6.0 in 2012 (I have a Silverado 2500HD LTZ) from a 05 6.0 Powerstroke and have never regretted it for a second.

• Like 1

Follow up to my last post...got a call from my dealer this morning to tell me he just got a 2016 Summit White with 34K miles (6.0L) as a trade.  He also has a 2019 on the lot with a Duramax.  I decided to have him order me one and when he went into the system there were no more 6.0L gas engines available to be built.  He wants $43K for the 2016 so I'm going to wait and have him keep trying to get me a  2019 or I will order a 2020 in the spring.  After having a nightmare experience with a 6.0L Powerstroke I'm pretty hesitant to pull the trigger on a diesel.  

6 hours ago, AronB said:

Follow up to my last post...got a call from my dealer this morning to tell me he just got a 2016 Summit White with 34K miles (6.0L) as a trade.  He also has a 2019 on the lot with a Duramax.  I decided to have him order me one and when he went into the system there were no more 6.0L gas engines available to be built.  He wants $43K for the 2016 so I'm going to wait and have him keep trying to get me a  2019 or I will order a 2020 in the spring.  After having a nightmare experience with a 6.0L Powerstroke I'm pretty hesitant to pull the trigger on a diesel.  

Don't paint all diesels with the 6.0 Powerstroke brush...

Says the happy owner of 4 different generations of 6.6 Dmax (not all at the same time..)

2020HD will have a new  6.6L gas replacing the 6.0