New truck driver - 4wd concern with binding after switching to 2wd

2015 silverado LT Z71 - I know to not use 4wd on dry pavement, I learned that when trying to turn in my parking lot at work. 

I don't have anything in my bed, so occasionally I have a hard time getting over a lip of pavement where I park in the grass. (I reverse into my spot, so when I leave, I have to push my front end over a lip of pavement, and my rear tires will just spin on wet grass) 

The other day this happened, and I switched to auto 4WD to get over the lip. I did, then I switched back to 2wd. I believe my wheel was still slightly turned, but after it said I was in 2wd, I turned further and felt binding like it was in 4wd.

I turned my wheel straight, drove a bit further in parking lot and went to turn, still binding. 

I ended up switching back into auto 4wd,and 2wd again and it was rectified. I'm just curious if I need to be concerned if I damaged something or if it was just a fluke of me switching it during a turn. 

2015 silverado LT Z71 - I know to not use 4wd on dry pavement, I learned that when trying to turn in my parking lot at work. 

I don't have anything in my bed, so occasionally I have a hard time getting over a lip of pavement where I park in the grass. (I reverse into my spot, so when I leave, I have to push my front end over a lip of pavement, and my rear tires will just spin on wet grass) 

The other day this happened, and I switched to auto 4WD to get over the lip. I did, then I switched back to 2wd. I believe my wheel was still slightly turned, but after it said I was in 2wd, I turned further and felt binding like it was in 4wd.

I turned my wheel straight, drove a bit further in parking lot and went to turn, still binding. 

I ended up switching back into auto 4wd,and 2wd again and it was rectified. I'm just curious if I need to be concerned if I damaged something or if it was just a fluke of me switching it during a turn. 
There was a recall for a Transfer case reflash..Has it been done?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No. I thought that was for something else. I knew it had to do with steering but I didn't understand it was for the transfer case. 
There was a reflash for both modules.. Have a dealer run the VIN for any recalls.
The TCCM has had several reflash updates.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoonFrost said:

If the 4wd is engaged,  it will make that noise and feel tough to turn on anything other than slick mud.  Switching back to 2wd will resolve it like you said.  Same happened to me a few times, usually forgetting I had it in 4wd.  When it comes time to change your transfer case fluid, you can check for excess metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug.  Even on a well taken care of, there is more material than you would expect so check on YouTube for some reference points.

If you are on the stock Goodyear SRA tires, then upgrading to a AT tire would help your situation too.

the Auto 4x4 setting should never bind the front wheels, as the transfer case shouldn't be locked front to back. That's why it can be used on dry pavement. So if they are binding up, there is something wrong.  

On 12/13/2018 at 4:59 PM, ftwhite said:

the Auto 4x4 setting should never bind the front wheels, as the transfer case shouldn't be locked front to back. That's why it can be used on dry pavement. So if they are binding up, there is something wrong.  

It was a different type of binding from full 4x4. When I had it in 4x4 and turned months ago, it felt locked. This was more of a "clicky resistance" going from auto 4wd to 2wd. I assumed because I was going really slow and turning that it failed to fully disengage the front wheels. 

I also know nothing about vehicles other than you put fuel in, magic happens when you push the pedal and somehow it moves. 

Edited by MoonFrost