Tool chest combo

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎13 at 9:55 AM, Nick The Great said:

I have the 41" Husky Combo chest, for 2.5 or 3 years now.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-41-in-16-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Cabinet-Combo-Black-VRC-4116BK/303499569

It's awesome.  Way better than the 26" Craftsman it replaced.  Well . . . supplemented.  

I agree that the short drawers are nice.  But I really dig the deep drawers on the bottom.  I have circular saws, belt sanders, things like that in them.  They had a wider one, but I had a specific spot this thing was going, so I was limited.

I'm impressed with the build quality.  The steel is heavy, the drawers slide well.  Casters are pretty heavy duty.  It's not a Snap On or Matco or anything like that.  But For the $500 I paid, I'm very happy.  

My local HD has the 41" Husky priced $250 less than the similarly sized Costco tool chest.  I prefer the smooth drawer closing of the Kirkland (Costco) and the two extra drawers but the price difference is making this a tough decision!  The Husky on display requires a firm push to close the drawers completely and an equal pull to open.  This does ensure the drawers remain closed  on uneven floors but is I am concerned this feature could be annoying.  Do you notice this as an issue or is it the sort of thing I'd forget about in a day?

9 hours ago, Donstar said:

My local HD has the 41" Husky priced $250 less than the similarly sized Costco tool chest.  I prefer the smooth drawer closing of the Kirkland (Costco) and the two extra drawers but the price difference is making this a tough decision!  The Husky on display requires a firm push to close the drawers completely and an equal pull to open.  This does ensure the drawers remain closed  on uneven floors but is I am concerned this feature could be annoying.  Do you notice this as an issue or is it the sort of thing I'd forget about in a day?

I've never really thought about it.  Now that you mention it, I feel like it takes a little effort to pull them open, but nothing that's ever annoyed me.  And I'm annoyed by LOTS of things in this world.  :D

I think I prefer the drawer openings/closings on the Husky over that of my older Craftsman box.  There's no resistance whatsoever either way, and it seems odd.  

Edited by Nick The Great

Yes, you need some resistance or catch.  I have an older Husky cabinet that I use for less commonly used tools.  If I place it on a wall with a slight inward slope on the floor, the drawers will all open and the cabinet will topple. You can guess how I learned this fun fact.  The Kirkland has a spring loaded catch on the handle.  The friction type close on the Husky is effective but probably stirs up some nicely arranged tools inside. ;-)

Santa bought me the 43" Kirkland!  This a very heavy duty and good looking (imo) tool chest.  I haven't had a chance to transfer all of my tools over but that is part of the fun of a new toolbox!  No need to rush!  The larger 52" Husky was a serious contender but the solid build of the Kirkland won me over. If I can't fit my DIY tools in a 43" combo, then I have too many tools!

• Like 1