GM's 6.2-liter V8 Engine Honored By Wards Auto

Gorehamj

silverado 6.2 v8.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
12-12-2018

Wards has named the General Motors 6.2-liter V8 engine with Dynamic Fuel Management (DFM) to its  2019 Wards 10 Best Engines Award list.

“General Motors’ thundering 420-horsepower V-8 in the Silverado exemplifies how engineers continue to find ways to improve efficiency without giving up something in return. DFM determines 80 times per second exactly how many cylinders require fuel to meet power demands. And, incredibly, it uses as few as two cylinders to propel the full-size pickup down the highway,” says Wards' Senior Content Director Drew Winter. “The truly amazing part is the cylinder deactivation is imperceptible, so seamless that the only thing the driver notices is fewer stops at the pump."

Coincidental to the award, GM-Trucks.com has just taken delivery of a long-term tester with this very engine. 

“Chevrolet first introduced its Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivation system in 2005, and Dynamic Fuel Management is a natural progression of the technology,” said Jordan Lee, Small Block chief engineer. “Dynamic Fuel Management enables only the cylinders needed to deliver the power you want, seamlessly delivering the best balance of power and fuel economy.”

The full list of Wards' 10 best engines is as follows:

3.0L (B58) DOHC Turbocharged I-6 (BMW X5)
6.2L OHV V-8 with DFM (Chevrolet Silverado)
5.0L DOHC V-8 (Ford Mustang GT/Bullitt)
3.0L DOHC TurboDiesel V-6 (Ford F-150)
2.0L DOHC Atkinson i-VTEC 4-Cyl./HEV (Honda Accord Hybrid)
120-kW Fuel Cell/Electric Propulsion System (Hyundai Nexo)
150-kW Propulsion System (Hyundai Kona EV)
2.0L DOHC VC-Turbo 4-Cyl. (Infiniti QX50)
2.0L DOHC Atkinson 4-Cyl./HEV (Lexus UX 250h)
3.6L DOHC Pentastar eTorque V-6 (Ram 1500)

I wish the AFM on my 2018 was "...imperceptible, so seamless..."

I did not notice the AFM the first few times I drove the truck, but after a little more time behind the wheel, I became much more aware of the switches.  I basically can't tolerate it for city driving.  The coarseness and surging is really annoying. 

Edited by rkj__

On 12/13/2018 at 5:16 PM, SILVER SLED said:

Too bad it’s not a readily available engine.  

Readily available for advertising.

420hp! 460tq!

Finding one on your local lot? Not so much. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, silveradosid said:

so seamless that companies make tuners and range make a device to deactivate the crap my 2014 was great until about 30k and now at 85k it leaps and vibrates so bad that i finally got a tuner and turned it off and i still have warranty left but i dont care

You will not be able to do that on the 2019's.  From what I'm told, the system is locked down tight.  No aftermarket tuning at all.

I believe the 6.2 is a very good engine overall.  In the Truck, and in the Vette.  They are fairly reliable but being a forum like this, we'll see the brunt of any issues they may have with people coming here to vent and look for help.  I would love to have a truck (Or vette!) with that engine in it.  You folks that have one, consider yourself very fortunate and enjoy them. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 7:31 PM, Colossus said:

You folks that have one, consider yourself very fortunate and enjoy them. 

The primary reason I searched high, low, far, and wide for Clyde. The 6.2L V8 was at the very top of the required options list. Well worth the money :D

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 8:13 PM, 2009GMC said:

Readily available for advertising.

420hp! 460tq!

Finding one on your local lot? Not so much. 

Found a lot of them in Silverado High Country's and then in LTZ Z71 in the Phoenix area when I was looking for a Max Tow equipped truck.  Likewise I found several in GMC Denalis.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:31 PM, Colossus said:

I believe the 6.2 is a very good engine overall.  In the Truck, and in the Vette.  They are fairly reliable but being a forum like this, we'll see the brunt of any issues they may have with people coming here to vent and look for help.  I would love to have a truck (Or vette!) with that engine in it.  You folks that have one, consider yourself very fortunate and enjoy them. 

I really enjoy ours, the acceleration and handling are heads above the GMC 2500HD Duramax.  The 6.2L has 110,000 and running great.  Happy it doesn't have AFM.  I only bought the GMC to go with a larger fifth wheel.  Feature wise it is an upgrade from the 1500.  We kept the 1500 for short trips and around the Phoenix valley. 

The listed engine is the 6.2L with DFM new for 2019.  And it is much more seamless than my AFM trucks.  Great engine so far.  Only time will tell how it goes after some miles.  Paired with the 10 speed, I really like it so far.

you all seem to be discussing the previous engine with AFM.

Edited by JacobC1983

T

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎01 at 7:10 AM, Stonewood said:

I didn't know there was an available 6.0L  No complaints with my 5.3.

image.png.7a3dbfd803b219d06d3b09fcf4d2e0c0.png

2500's are still running the LS family 6.0L from the 2000's called the L96. It is an iron block engine, while the ecotec 5.3 (L83) and 6.2 (L86/87) are aluminum block engines. Aluminum is not the best "work truck" block material, they prefer to use iron for hard use/towing applications. You can not get a 1500 with a 6.0L and you cant get a 2500 with a 6.2L. There is a new 2500 engine in the works for the 2020 HD's, rumor has it around 6.7L but that seems overkill to me.