2008 GMC Sierra, 5.3L (non flex fuel) rear end oil size??

So, I have a 2008 GMC Sierra, 5.3L (non flex fuel)  and I want to change the oil in the rear end. 

The internet list two different rear end diff's sizes and I do not know how to determine which rear end size is in my truck so that I can determine the correct amount of oil volume that should be used. Guess I could add until it's below the plug, that that's assuming I purchase the correct amount as if I'm short I'll have no means to drive and get more.

Thanks

This is from a 2010 manual, but it's likely the same as your '08 (you might want to verify)

"For all 4.3L, 4.8L and 5.3L 1500 Series applications, the proper level is 0.04 inches to 0.75 inches (1.0mm to 19.0 mm) below the bottom of the filler hole, located on the rear axle. Add only enough fluid to reach the proper level." 

Earier models the correct level was even less.

This is from '04:

"The proper level for the 1500 Series is from 5/8 inch to 1 5/8 inch (15 mm to 40 mm) below the bottom of the filler plug hole."

Thanks,  how do I measure the rear end to identify which of the three different sized rear ends there are? 

Trying to to get a gasket for the cover and I don’t know what size rear end is in the truck.  

2WD, 1500

Edited by 08 GMC

Its going to be a 8.6" RG Rear and hold 4.2 pints (initial fill dry).  DO NOT OVERFILL.

If you go to a GM dealer parts counter with your VIN, they can find the exact part match and you will get the correct gasket.  

Edited by elcamino