Power Folding Tow Mirrors Option for 2013 Denali HD

Ok just came across a gem of a truck  yesterday.  2013 Denali HD in pristine condion.  No dings, dents, scratches chips.  The interior is immaculate and even the leather seats do not have wear marks or tears in them from usage.  Especially for a 6 yr old truck.  Only thing wrong with it is the mirrors . It has the Black tow mirrors with turn signals built in but I can't tell if they are the power folding factory mirrors or if they are aftermarket and not power folding.  The door panels on the inside have the power folding button and heated option.  Does anyone know by looking at the pics if these are factory or aftermarket? And if they aren't factory do you know of a tow mirror with the heated and power folding function on them so that this truck has all full working features.  Google is not giving me the results i am looking for.  

Truck 1.jpg

Edited by HammerDownProductions

I cant see pics, or open the type of file you have posted.

Only the factory mirrors have  power fold AND power extend. They were std on that model. To replace them is a $700+ ordeal IF the DOOR BCM is there. They could have come chrome or black. They are probably stock, but You may have to get the key and try it out.  I believe the LED lights on them are on the cargo button that year. Some were on the reverse light switch.

Edited by Formulabruce

I dont see the marker lights on the front side of the mirror, but could be the rain and lighting. They are LEVEL, which most aftermarket install are not.. So there is a plus

Edited by Formulabruce

You are correct. There probably was the std NON towing, but folding mirrors from the factory, and these were installed for towing wide trailers.  The controller for the std size mirror isnt the same as the one for the towing mirrors and its in the pass side door as I recall. I am sure you can get some that will look more correct and will be power adjust, but not power folding and power extending.  The electronics is what kills the cost. If you try the truck out, look and see is the outside temperature is working. I think the sensor is in the RS mirror on that truck.

Edit. Its a '13, they could be original the way they are... If it was '15, I would say they are aftermarket.

Edited by Formulabruce

1 minute ago, Formulabruce said:

You are correct. There probably was the std NON towing, but folding mirrors from the factory, and these were installed for towing wide trailers.  The controller for the std size mirror isnt the same as the one for the towing mirrors and its in the pass side door as I recall. I am sure you can get some that will look more correct and will be power adjust, but not power folding and power extending.  The electronics is what kills the cost. If you try the truck out, look and see is the outside temperature is working. I think the sensor is in the RS mirror on that truck.

The power adjust does work on these but just not the power folding feature.  We haven't had frost or ice enough to know if the heating part works yet however it seems to work, just not 100% sure yet lol.  Just wanted to take it back to as close to factory as I can but I do need the tow mirrors on it.  

Previous owner upgraded to tow mirrors from the DL3 mirrors and they can be factory tow mirror or aftermarket. They look like the same factory ones that I upgraded to on the 2009 I had.

Power folding tow mirrors (DQS) did not start until 2015.5 Model or built after August 14th, 2014.

Check into the DIC settings, you will probably see the memory seat option turned off, if you turn it on, then every time you unlock the truck with the FOB, the mirrors will do their own thing. 

10 hours ago, Formulabruce said:

I cant see pics, or open the type of file you have posted.

Only the factory mirrors have  power fold AND power extend. They were std on that model. To replace them is a $700+ ordeal IF the DOOR BCM is there. They could have come chrome or black. They are probably stock, but You may have to get the key and try it out.  I believe the LED lights on them are on the cargo button that year. Some were on the reverse light switch.

GM has never offered a power extending camper style mirror. The GMT800 trucks had an option for power extending, but those mirrors look like the DL3 and DL8 style mirrors and I am uncertain if those where power folding or not.

For this truck, the DL3 power folding would have been standard and the camper style tow mirror would be an upgrade from factory. 

Edited by jhplak325
  • Like 1

Its pretty common for the power folding unit to break - its almost always a little plastic gear inside the drive unit.  You can replace that gear with a metal 1 and have fully functioning power fold.  This only applies to the GM power fold tow mirrors, I have no idea if its aftermarket.  Ive seen some of the aftermarket units up close and they are completely different inside, total junk compared to how GM makes it.  But ofcourse GM uses a faulty plastic gear in an otherwise great power fold unit so they arent perfect either.  You can find more details on the power fold gears here - http://www.gruvenparts.com/shop-by-car/gm-truck    look for the 6th item down i think

3 hours ago, jhplak325 said:

Previous owner upgraded to tow mirrors from the DL3 mirrors and they can be factory tow mirror or aftermarket. They look like the same factory ones that I upgraded to on the 2009 I had.

Power folding tow mirrors (DQS) did not start until 2015.5 Model or built after August 14th, 2014.

Check into the DIC settings, you will probably see the memory seat option turned off, if you turn it on, then every time you unlock the truck with the FOB, the mirrors will do their own thing. 

2 hours ago, jatkinson8755 said:

Its pretty common for the power folding unit to break - its almost always a little plastic gear inside the drive unit.  You can replace that gear with a metal 1 and have fully functioning power fold.  This only applies to the GM power fold tow mirrors, I have no idea if its aftermarket.  Ive seen some of the aftermarket units up close and they are completely different inside, total junk compared to how GM makes it.  But ofcourse GM uses a faulty plastic gear in an otherwise great power fold unit so they arent perfect either.  You can find more details on the power fold gears here - http://www.gruvenparts.com/shop-by-car/gm-truck    look for the 6th item down i think

Here are some pics of the inside that shows the power fold option.  I know they don't have the power extend option and thats Ok with me.  Im looking for tow mirrors with all the factory options that this truck has which is the heated, power folding, with turn signals.  Would love to know if anyone has a link or pics of the factory upgraded tow mirror options for this model.  Or a link to a body shop site that shows factory replacement parts that may show what they are actually equipped with.  Id love to know if the denali's tow mirror option had front facing turn signal option with chrome caps or what it had.  Anyone got any info or know where i can find it?  Google aint giving me nothing.  lol.

Truck 5.jpg

GM did not offer a power fold tow mirror on the GMT900 trucks (2007.5 - 2013 for 1500 trucks and 2007.5 - 2014 for HD trucks). 

Previous owner removed the DL3 power fold mirrors and added the camper style tow mirrors and did not replace the door switch. I did the same upgrade to the 2009 Silverado 2500HD LTZ I had.  

Look in in the glove box at the RPO label, you should find the DL3 code. 

GM did not start offering a power fold tow mirror starting with 2015.5 trucks. The early K2’s can be upgraded to this option with additional wiring.