In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Luke Martin

Found a used '17 6.2 w/ 3:42...Thoughts

Local dealer has a '17 SLT premium plus seems to be as loaded as you can get in SLT.  Not my preferred color but its quicksilver metallic and not a bad choice.

32,xxx Miles on the truck.  Asking price was $43,xxx - They now have it down to right under $41k.  These truck are holding high value in this area, at that price it doesn't have me jumping on it.  I'd probably offer $36k Hoping they would come in under $38k and I would have to do some thinking.

What's your guys thoughts, what would be your offer?  I can go one state over and get the exact truck I would like but not 3:42 for brand new for right under $44k.  $3k savings and 32k miles makes that deal look much bigger.  That price gets closer to mid 30's its looking better to me.

Edited by Luke Martin

If it was me I would get the one with the most options and understand if I needed to just install a different gear I would. But that gets us back into the re tune topic. The issue you need to ask yourself is how many miles are you putting on a year, meaning in 3-5 years when loan is almost paid of is the truck broke down with 200k miles warranty gone and issues. I wouldn't care as I put less than 4k miles on a year. Also unless you are paying cash what are the cost and interest on the two. GM is 0% on new and x% on gm cert used. Or your bank is better. 40k is a good amount of money on a 5year interest. I pay cash unless it is 0%

I don’t know where you live. My local dealer, wiesner in Conroe is selling SLTs 18s new 14K off 34K. 5.3s. The first one on the website had bars and bed cover. Otherwise between the two you mentioned I’d go with the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm in Georgia. 

Since I found out that the 3:23 are rated at 9100 that honestly is all I need, it's just by luck that this one had the 3:42s.  I do like the seat of the pants feel, but I have a car and other 4x4s for that so it really doesn't factor in.  This truck will serve professional use for work as well as hauling kids, plus all of our gear hunting/fishing etc...

This truck will probably be a 50/50 split from my other daily driver but could see a good 15k-20k miles a year still.

I'm going to drive it here in a little bit just because I'm not going a state or two away and pickup a model I've never sat in.  It will give me a feel for the platform, I've been in my buddies '15 LTZ but its been a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I don’t know where you live. My local dealer, wiesner in Conroe is selling SLTs 18s new 14K off 34K. 5.3s. The first one on the website had bars and bed cover. Otherwise between the two you mentioned I’d go with the new one.

Show me an SLT that stickers at $48k.

OP, I think if you could get it close to $40k, I'd go for it. Just make sure to get it up to 80 on your test drive and make sure it's not a vibrator.

Show me an SLT that stickers at $48k.

OP, I think if you could get it close to $40k, I'd go for it. Just make sure to get it up to 80 on your test drive and make sure it's not a vibrator.

I said discounted to 34K. At least 1/2 dozen. I’m sure the local Chevy dealer is matching as well as the Houston area dealers. Which by the way is not uncommon.

If I were in the $41K range and it were me I'd just take a weekend trip up to St. Louis and pick up a brand new 2018 SLT with the 6.2.  Nothing like that new car smell and basically for the same money.

https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2018-GMC-Sierra_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_SLT-Collinsville-IL/3335469863

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I said discounted to 34K. At least 1/2 dozen. I’m sure the local Chevy dealer is matching as well as the Houston area dealers. Which by the way is not uncommon.

I know you said $34k... and you said $14k off. Which would mean a sticker price of $48k. Which is what I was asking. Is it 2wd?

I know you said $34k... and you said $14k off. Which would mean a sticker price of $48k. Which is what I was asking. Is it 2wd?

It’s wiesner of Conroe Texas. There are a few, very nice trucks I’m sure there may be some 4WDs. It’s seems 14K off is common in the area as well as other areas. Type in wiesner Conroe Texas in your browser.

With the deals on the 18's I would not be looking for a used one at that price. The Chevy's are ridiculous right now with employee pricing plus other incentives. As stated above I would buy any deal and would be open to changing a gear ratio later. New, broken in by you, and a new warranty is the way to go, presently with these deals. If your not trading I would be sending emails to all the dealers on the east coast, fly in drive home. I flew into Georgia for my Zo6, the deal was well worth it. Flew in at 10Am and was home in my garage by 9pm.

Gear ratio is not that important with the 8speed

Knowing all that I know about these trucks, I wouldn’t care if it was 3.23 or 3.42

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are you smoking crack when posting?

Are you smoking crack when posting?

We are not talking about 5.3’s!