Larger tires, how to adjust for speed difference?

From what I can tell and all the research I have done.  These new 2019's are not tuneable.  So with that in mind.  How does one adjust or should I say calibrate the speedometer to read correctly when going to a taller tire? 

Also, it seems that changing anything will be a thing of the past.  No more cam swaps, turbos or the like if you can't tune for it. 

If anyone has any info on these trucks being able to get a tune I'm all ears. 

The tuning aftermarket will crack the code. 20 years ago people said the LS engines would be the death of the GM aftermarket because of how computerized they were and different from the SBC. 

Look at them now. 

Give it a little time. 

• Like 1

Speedo correction is being done now, SCA Performance does it every day on their lifted trucks. 

I do know there is a 2019 Denali 6.2 in Gadsden that has a supercharger on it,  another guy  has a 150 dry shot of nitrous. 

They were both at the track a few weeks ago, the Denali was pulling a very nice enclosed trailer with a highly modded Corvette ZR1 inside.

Edited by jericbarg
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AJMBLAZER said:

The tuning aftermarket will crack the code. 20 years ago people said the LS engines would be the death of the GM aftermarket because of how computerized they were and different from the SBC. 

Look at them now. 

Give it a little time. 

The information i got back that these 2019's are locked tight and the reason is GM is seriously stepping up their security so that the vehicles can't be hacked. This is because they are focusing on autonomous vehicles and EV's. With the electronics on them and being connected to the internet now, this is why they are locking them down. 

Plus if you are able to tune then GM will know because the vehicle will send a message that it has been accessed by someone other than a dealer.

‘Access by someone other than a dealer’ for a speedo correction or other minor maintenance... 

<rant>

I am still holding out hope that at some point soon we see a round of lawsuits clawing back some of the rights and privacy of the general public that corporations have stolen from us.  It’s not the first time lines had to be drawn (see the Mag-Moss act). Just cause it’s new and on a computer doesn’t mean there is free reign to exploit.  Even if I can’t fix it myself I should be able to take it to whomever I choose to do that.

A strong right to repair act and laws against blocking access, perhaps even standards for interoperability and required publishing of these internal for review are needed. A future of black box computers driving around cars with no insight into what’s inside is frightening. I won’t hold my breath that companies won’t do everything in their power to prevent telling the truth about what they do when it harms someone. 

The current round of industry players needs to be put in thier place again which unfortunately I expect to be difficult as those with the money make the rules.

</rant>

sorry about the tangent... this stuff makes my blood boil. 

1 hour ago, Black02Silverado said:

The information i got back that these 2019's are locked tight and the reason is GM is seriously stepping up their security so that the vehicles can't be hacked. This is because they are focusing on autonomous vehicles and EV's. With the electronics on them and being connected to the internet now, this is why they are locking them down. 

Plus if you are able to tune then GM will know because the vehicle will send a message that it has been accessed by someone other than a dealer.

Eh, sounds like typical hysterical BS. Heard similar stories ever since OBD-II in the mid 90’s. 

GM LOVES that the LS motor is becoming the new SBC and is getting modified and played with and swapped into everything. 

Ever seen a 80’s Camaro with a Ford mod motor or Coyote engine? Doubt it even exists. Meanwhile LS swaps into Fox bodies are driving the purists nuts. 

In order for all those LS engines to be used GM had to sell them...in trucks, cars, and crates. In order to put that 6.2 in a place it didn’t originally start it’ll need it’s brains and they’ll need to be tuned. The computers are just more complicated and the systems and programming are as well. With time tuning will come for them. I can guarantee you there’s 2019’s sitting at Baer, Diablo, Superchips, etc and others right now hooked up to computers and sitting on dyno’s. 

Edited by AJMBLAZER

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Stex said:

Anyone heard from Blackbear on this issue of tuning the 2019s?

I communicated with Justin and he told me that he feels that the 19’s and up will not be able to be tuned. 

Make it as hack proof as you like. You can still cheat any sensor with an intercept. It's how it was done before hacking ECU's. Sometimes you can turn the system against itself. I've used oil coolers to modify fuel maps.  Choose a different tire size to correct a speedometer error. Sensors are either voltage based or resistance based. If I can't alter what the computer does with the signal I can certainly alter the signal. Just say' n…..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Make it as hack proof as you like. You can still cheat any sensor with an intercept. It's how it was done before hacking ECU's. Sometimes you can turn the system against itself. I've used oil coolers to modify fuel maps.  Choose a different tire size to correct a speedometer error. Sensors are either voltage based or resistance based. If I can't alter what the computer does with the signal I can certainly alter the signal. Just say' n…..

Until ICs get cheaper and smaller (like they continuously do) and signals are encrypted end-to-end from the sensor itself.