Larger tires, how to adjust for speed difference?

The iPhone used to have unlocks/hacks as well for the first few years... not anymore. If GM decides to be serious about locking people out then there are all sort of plays they can steal from Apple’s book and others to do it. As noted earlier even sensors can be networked in and lock the user or any third party out of replacing or modifying them. The technical arms race has massively tilted things away from the end user with cheap and sophisticated cryptography and the only way to get some sanity back is likely to be through the courts. 

Easiest way to adjust for tire size is to estimate it in your head. 

Determine % difference in revs/mile from tire maker and carry on. 

GPS (or cell) based speedos are also an option. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Daverado said:

Until ICs get cheaper and smaller (like they continuously do) and signals are encrypted end-to-end from the sensor itself.

11 hours ago, flowbytwo said:

The iPhone used to have unlocks/hacks as well for the first few years... not anymore. If GM decides to be serious about locking people out then there are all sort of plays they can steal from Apple’s book and others to do it. As noted earlier even sensors can be networked in and lock the user or any third party out of replacing or modifying them. The technical arms race has massively tilted things away from the end user with cheap and sophisticated cryptography and the only way to get some sanity back is likely to be through the courts. 

I'm going to guess your are both young people. Young enough to have never worked with a carburetor and/or distributor. Mechanical Bosh Fuel Injection. Kinser ring a bell? Hilborn? Nothing is, nor will ever be hack proof. It is what Hot Rodding is. You just might have to redefine what a 'hack' is however. 

Loose all the techno bling and what you have left is a law mower motor powering a shoebox on a roller skate. It's only as hard as you make it. Ron Trock use to tell me, "If you don't like where that bolt hole is; move the thing"! 

GM told me that I had one choice for a water thermostat. Told me my AFM would not work properly with anything but 5W30. Told me my transmission would not function properly without the thermostat. Boys, as long as I have a torch, band saw and a lathe and a spool of wire...…...Give me enough reason and I'll gut the pig and start with a blank sheet of paper. 

I’ve rebuilt engines, automatic transmissions, transfer cases, axles, and a complete frame... owning an early 60s Willys Jeep will break you or give you plenty of experience turning a wrench. 

I am also a Principal Software Engineer that’s worked in many different areas of research and development. I’ve been around tech and grease a long time. 

Sure on on the internet opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one and most are full of...

Regardless this area is one that I have some experience and it is my opinion that people are deluding themselves with the ability to hack and modify these new vehicles continuing like it always has.  They may break this one or they may not but the tide is certainly against it.  The amount of control systems in these new trucks are pretty staggering. Further they are all part of a fully networked, always reporting to GM system. You don’t get to put a remote internet connection in a vehicle without extensive security controls. The liability and public outrage if some attacker takes over a car and kills someone remotely is hard to even fathom. 

So in the end, sure you can take your older vehicle that can still firmly be maintained yourself but many won’t have that option  nor will they be happy giving up the power, safety, or efficiency of new vehicles. 

That leaves us with hoping companies offer something that meets our needs, voting with our dollar, and failing that calling our Congress critters and giving them an earful about the shit sandwich we are getting and the erosion of our rights to repair. 

PS—for a real dystopian future read up on what it would be like to drive a Tesla and want to turn a wrench on it. That’s the future we are headed towards. 

6 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Loose all the techno bling and what you have left is a law mower motor powering a shoebox on a roller skate. It's only as hard as you make it. Ron Trock use to tell me, "If you don't like where that bolt hole is; move the thing"! 

Yes, to a certain extent that is the first fundamental rule of computer security.  As soon as you have physical access to a device,

you can compromise it.

The thing is though, how much will it cost to compromise it and still have it useful/able to perform it's original task?  After a point

the ECM itself becomes useless without it's network so now you're replacing that too in order to hack the system/network.  It'll be

easier and cheaper to rip out and replace it than to crack it.

https://boingboing.net/2018/12/08/flipping-a-bird.html

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/11/18179004/bird-scooters-boing-story-removal-report-hacking-copyright

Yes, eventually even end-to-end systems will likely be compromised.  For what purpose though?  To sell $500 tuning kits?  Not likely.

It'll be for something worth a lot more than that, because it will cost too much.  It'll likely be government-sponsored because no-one

else will pay.

41 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

I love these convos... these people all disappear off the map once the software gets released lol.

Yes, I've noticed.  Every time some new "can't be hacked" tech appears someone  attempts to hijack control.

Me, me, me... It's a bit of a bore. The 'I'll make you walk the plank' speech. They needed to have met my daughter when she was 16 and learn you can't make anyone do anything if they don't want to badly enough.  

I've said it before SierraHD17 and I'll say it again. I'll walk first. Until then I will always have options. I still have 50's Brit bikes and know how to repair them with Newsprint and pliers. :lol:

4 hours ago, Daverado said:

Yes, to a certain extent that is the first fundamental rule of computer security.  As soon as you have physical access to a device, you can compromise it.

My $28K truck now cost $45K +  and in under 5 years. Too expensive to compromise seems a weak argument, don't you think? Stand alone systems and sensors will always be viable if you insist on an IA and if not the electro/mechanical systems that served us for a hundred years didn't just quit working nor have they become unavailable. Then there is always Hay. 

1 hour ago, SierraHD17 said:

I love these convos... these people all disappear off the map once the software gets released lol.

Sure, because it's still just a software issue.  For how long though?  How many more generations?

What you have probably missed however is that many corporate notebooks now ship with TPM modules embedded into the hardware.  You may not have noticed that full-time Internet connectivity is a new thing as well.  Remote attestation is possible and inexpensive now and never was before except at dealer visits.

Why do people reflash their vehicle when bringing it in for inspection or dealer service?  Are they going to do the same thing every time they want to start their car?

How many will?  Is that a growing market or a shrinking one?

As these barriers get built-up they do not make hacking impossible, but they do make it less convenient and less worthwhile.  Demand shrinks and the ROI on the research into the hacking is negative.

Sure, it'll always be possible to hack as long as you have physical access to the device.  Doesn't mean it'll always happen though.

Times do change.  Sure you can always revert to living in a cave off the grid with stone-age tech.  Once the US economy collapses under our debt load many of us likely will regardless as we recede into a 3rd-world country.  This will be a moot point when no one can afford high-tech cars anymore anyway.

If you have the chops to hack an auto system why not throw down for a half million in prize money?  A company making tuners will need to sell a lot of hardware to turn that kind of profit on margin.

https://www.thezdi.com/blog/2019/1/14/pwn2own-vancouver-2019-tesla-vmware-microsoft-and-more

The stakes to break into these things are rapidly changing.

• Like 1

There's also the insurance issue.  As we continue transitioning into self-driving cars, insurance rates for human drivers are going to go up for being less-reliable.

Self-driving cars are not going to function so well with their sensors bypassed/interfered-with/hijacked/jail-broken, and are absolutely going to have to submit to remote attestation to ensure passenger safety.

Those of you driving stone-age tech who aren't incredibly rich won't be able to afford to drive on public streets anymore.  Having to drive yourself around every other self-driving car is likely going to be even more frustrating than dealing with the bad drivers we have today anyway.  They'll all be loaded with cameras watching you when eventually you are involved in an accident too.  It's just not going to be fun driving on public streets, but public streets aren't really about having fun.

Times change.

35 minutes ago, Daverado said:

There's also the insurance issue.  As we continue transitioning into self-driving cars, insurance rates for human drivers are going to go up for being less-reliable.

Self-driving cars are not going to function so well with their sensors bypassed/interfered-with/hijacked/jail-broken, and are absolutely going to have to submit to remote attestation to ensure passenger safety.

Those of you driving stone-age tech who aren't incredibly rich won't be able to afford to drive on public streets anymore.  Having to drive yourself around every other self-driving car is likely going to be even more frustrating than dealing with the bad drivers we have today anyway.  They'll all be loaded with cameras watching you when eventually you are involved in an accident too.  It's just not going to be fun driving on public streets, but public streets aren't really about having fun.

Times change.

Wow! Shall I just go lay down and die now? :rolleyes: 

Crap served on toast is still crap. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

Just now, Daverado said:

How you react to the world changing around you is on you buddy.  Best of luck..

Maybe you haven't noticed but it changes daily and I've watched that change for over six decades. It hasn't swallowed me yet. 

Have a look see at mid 50's wages and cost of goods. Have a second look at todays wages and cost of goods. A loss of 40% of the family buying power has been eaten like boiling a frog slowly. Every time there is an up tick in wages of 2% goods go up 2.009%. Every time someone says it can't be done, it is.

I actually have less QUALITY in my life now than I did in 1960. I have way more STUFF however and someone else stole my children's future. Imagine what a retirement I could have had with 40% more of my money working for me instead of XYZ, (you pick your adversary). Kids would have gotten more and paid less for my death.  Wages for six decades have compressed. Pensions along with your pensions health insurance lobbied away or stolen and your ability to MANAGE your 401K neutered. And still, like a cockroach, I survive.  Insurance isn't going to be a deal breaker either. 

They SKY IS FALLING....meh....it fell about 6,000 years ago.