Larger tires, how to adjust for speed difference?

5 hours ago, Daverado said:

Sure, because it's still just a software issue.  For how long though?  How many more generations?

What you have probably missed however is that many corporate notebooks now ship with TPM modules embedded into the hardware.  You may not have noticed that full-time Internet connectivity is a new thing as well.  Remote attestation is possible and inexpensive now and never was before except at dealer visits.

Why do people reflash their vehicle when bringing it in for inspection or dealer service?  Are they going to do the same thing every time they want to start their car?

How many will?  Is that a growing market or a shrinking one?

As these barriers get built-up they do not make hacking impossible, but they do make it less convenient and less worthwhile.  Demand shrinks and the ROI on the research into the hacking is negative.

Sure, it'll always be possible to hack as long as you have physical access to the device.  Doesn't mean it'll always happen though.

Times do change.  Sure you can always revert to living in a cave off the grid with stone-age tech.  Once the US economy collapses under our debt load many of us likely will regardless as we recede into a 3rd-world country.  This will be a moot point when no one can afford high-tech cars anymore anyway.

Considering we aren't to the point of being autonomous at least anymore then the previous gen it will be done.  I really don't care about future generations today... hell maybe they will have released a hydrogen fuel cell electric by then.  

Global A connectivity has been around since 2010.. it evolves but just like how the L5P will "never be tuned" you guys won't have a lot to say once this generation of half ton can be too.

Nice back peddling by the way and derailment on surviving the apocalypse. 

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Haha 1

There is no need to argue over something so silly. I too am a software developer and the trends in the industry towards encryption are noticable and real. What we're trying to say can be summarized thusly:

1: the encryption on these cars/trucks/systems will probably continue to improve and get stronger and stronger. They (manufacturers) do this for a reason, and until that reason goes away (or a court case forces them to open it up) the encryption will improve and it will be harder and harder for tuners. This is a trend.

2: due to the constantly strengthening encryption, eventually more and more tuners/software will drop support because they are unable to connect to the system.

3: we're not saying this particular truck cannot be broken; just that it's very difficult at this point, harder then it was in the past, and there are no guarantees it will be broken just because it was broken on weaker systems in the past.

4: we will be happy and overjoyed if the encryption on this particular truck does get broken; but that doesn't invalidate points 1 - 3 above; we're not wrong on points 1-3 just because a particular vehicle finally gets opened up.

Make sense to you guys now? :)

• Like 1

Wanted to weigh in here.  The new levels of security are purely about profit.  The manufacturers want to retain control of their products, specifically the service and repair side of their balance sheets.  They do not want independent shops (like mine) working on their vehicles because it equates to lost profit, plain and simple.   There has been an ongoing battle between OEM's and the aftermarket for several years.  OEM's use the argument that enthusiasts are working around their software, creating pollution, voiding warranties etc.  They were trying to patent their operating systems.  GM tightened the reigns on computer software last year by going to a per VIN license among other moves and all OEM's are making it harder and more expensive to purchase and maintain hardware and software.  Example, I had the same equipment as as one of the big OEMs, until one day my hardware just stopped working.  What I found out after the fact is the manufacturer of the software was killing the hardware on purpose to make it obsolete.  My $2,500 plastic box became a paper weight over night because when I logged in and updated my firmware, it was programmed to die, there was even a handy message to call the supplier.  The only solution; buy the newest round of hardware ($4,000-5,000) with a new license.  I literally lost the rest of the year's license that I paid more than $2,000 for.  There is almost no accountability for these things.    We are losing ground, but some major legislation in favor of the OEM's has been blocked.   

Personally I believe this is something we should all be VERY concerned about.  I have written my legislators as a business owner and enthusiast.   If you buy a product, do you actually own it?  Did you not buy the entire vehicle, including the computer and it's operating system?  Did you not buy the right to repair, maintain and modify it as you see fit?  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leevon said:

Wanted to weigh in here.  The new levels of security are purely about profit.  The manufacturers want to retain control of their products, specifically the service and repair side of their balance sheets.  They do not want independent shops (like mine) working on their vehicles because it equates to lost profit, plain and simple.   There has been an ongoing battle between OEM's and the aftermarket for several years.  OEM's use the argument that enthusiasts are working around their software, creating pollution, voiding warranties etc.  They were trying to patent their operating systems.  GM tightened the reigns on computer software last year by going to a per VIN license among other moves and all OEM's are making it harder and more expensive to purchase and maintain hardware and software.  Example, I had the same equipment as as one of the big OEMs, until one day my hardware just stopped working.  What I found out after the fact is the manufacturer of the software was killing the hardware on purpose to make it obsolete.  My $2,500 plastic box became a paper weight over night because when I logged in and updated my firmware, it was programmed to die, there was even a handy message to call the supplier.  The only solution; buy the newest round of hardware ($4,000-5,000) with a new license.  I literally lost the rest of the year's license that I paid more than $2,000 for.  There is almost no accountability for these things.    We are losing ground, but some major legislation in favor of the OEM's has been blocked.   

Personally I believe this is something we should all be VERY concerned about.  I have written my legislators as a business owner and enthusiast.   If you buy a product, do you actually own it?  Did you not buy the entire vehicle, including the computer and it's operating system?  Did you not buy the right to repair, maintain and modify it as you see fit?  

Is this the same question as "If I buy a steak can I still eat it?" :thumbs:

• 5 months later...

while you wait for the masses of knowledge to figure it out;

Use a GPS or speedo app, take it on the highway and do 60mph, verify what the gps/app says. calculate the % difference. apply that to all your speeds - make note your new speed will be larger than is being displayed for larger diameter tires and; smaller for smaller diameter changes.

Not perfect but I've been doing this for about 5 years. You tend to get used to it and memorize the limits.

Edited by tanner709