Exhaust

I was quoted 350 to do a muffler swap on 2018 6.2 GMC denali. This is labor plus the cost of the 12909. I just cant get myself to do the muffler delete on a new truck. I just want a mild tone not too aggressive and doesnt take away from the look of the truck. I know this has been discussed a thousand times but I'm still undecided. Is 350 too much? could I just do a cheap catback for that price?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

About on par. I paid $550 for my last muffler but they did over the axle and true duels from the manifold into the single 3" out muffler. They also used an aluminized tubing.

Magnaflow 12909 is 3.5 in and out, should sound good.

Price sounds a little high but i'm sure it depends on your location. I paid $280 for the exact same muffler/install. 

The 12909 is a VERY mild muffler. I'm pretty sure that my previous Yukon XL with the 6.2 was louder with stock exhaust. The 12909 sounds nice when you stomp on it, but don't be surprised when no one notices that it isn't stock. If I were to do it over again I would start with a delete to see how it sounds for a few days. 

FYI, my flapper was removed but the stock resonator is still in place. 

18 minutes ago, adendgo said:

I just bought a GMC 6.2 Z71 and had a local outfit cut out the resonator, flapper valve, and install a Magnaflow 12259 18” 5x8.   Muffler Tech in Sacramento, CA.   I think this is my first post. I have been reading a lot of your posts. 

The 12259 is only 3” but I’m not sure how much that matters since the stock piping goes down to 3” after the resonator anyway. Any drone with that setup and the resonator removes?

2 hours ago, patrickshaw357 said:

What is the step above this muffler? Borla or Corsa? I might just do the muffler delete in the morning.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I think the muffler delete would be worth a try. I thought the 12909 was loud for the first 5 min after it was installed, I was so accustomed to a completely silent truck. I picked up the family right after having it done for a 4 hour trip. I was worried they would say something right away (and probably not be thrilled) but to this day they haven’t noticed. I usually can’t sneak a mod past my wife. It’s a quiet muffler. 

• Like 1

I got the 14909 (100% stainless inside and outside). 12909 is a few stainless Parts inside and outside is aluminized steel. 

Love it! I can now hear cold starts from in the house. Towed a 3500lb enclosed trailer for 6 hours and it’s nice and quiet at 2k rpm. Once you get to 3500 and above it has a nice deep tone with no drone! I still use v4 and can tell it’s slightly louder than stock v4. 

I would highly recommend. Especially when looking at 1200 dollar cat back systems. 

If if you want loud muscle car rumble then look elsewhere. If you want a bit more than stock and no drone then go magnaflow 22” 12909 or 14909

I paid 165 for the 14909 on eBay after coupon and 80 for local shop to cut out old muffler and flapper. 

Edited by 2009GMC

Does anyone have a exhaust set up with the 4.3 ? I’ve heard it on YouTube but need real opinions. If so what muffler & the biggest question is , is there ANY drone ??? I had a Envoy with 4.3 and the drone was ridiculous. 

18 hours ago, 2009GMC said:

I got the 14909 (100% stainless inside and outside). 12909 is a few stainless Parts inside and outside is aluminized steel. 

Love it! I can now hear cold starts from in the house. Towed a 3500lb enclosed trailer for 6 hours and it’s nice and quiet at 2k rpm. Once you get to 3500 and above it has a nice deep tone with no drone! I still use v4 and can tell it’s slightly louder than stock v4. 

I would highly recommend. Especially when looking at 1200 dollar cat back systems. 

If if you want loud muscle car rumble then look elsewhere. If you want a bit more than stock and no drone then go magnaflow 22” 12909 or 14909

I paid 165 for the 14909 on eBay after coupon and 80 for local shop to cut out old muffler and flapper. 

I’m pretty sure they are both full stainless. The 14909 is polished and the 12909 is satin/brushed. 

Did you keep the resonator in place?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, patrickshaw357 said:

I just got the 12909 deleted the flapper. I love the sound. I think I need to move the tips closer inside. 

20181220_153744.jpg

I have the Borla ATAK out the back...I love them but yours look even better! 

• Like 1

I have the Borla ATAK out the back...I love them but yours look even better! 
Same. I have the Borla ATAK catback straight out the back. I love it. High quality materials. Bends were perfect. Sound is great. I had a magnaflow catback on my old truck and was not impressed. The "stainless" pipes rusted in a month. My dad has a corsa on his and that is great as well. Highly recommend borla or corsa.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1