Exhaust

31 minutes ago, acinquegrana said:

Same. I have the Borla ATAK catback straight out the back. I love it. High quality materials. Bends were perfect. Sound is great. I had a magnaflow catback on my old truck and was not impressed. The "stainless" pipes rusted in a month. My dad has a corsa on his and that is great as well. Highly recommend borla or corsa.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oh yeah both really well made for sure but dang his tips look a LOT better to me. Don’t get me wrong, I would not change a thing but the tips he has look like fine art ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh yeah both really well made for sure but dang his tips look a LOT better to me. Don’t get me wrong, I would not change a thing but the tips he has look like fine art [emoji106]
I agree. I wouldn't mind the side exits either

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 10:11 PM, 2009GMC said:

I got the 14909 (100% stainless inside and outside). 12909 is a few stainless Parts inside and outside is aluminized steel. 

Love it! I can now hear cold starts from in the house. Towed a 3500lb enclosed trailer for 6 hours and it’s nice and quiet at 2k rpm. Once you get to 3500 and above it has a nice deep tone with no drone! I still use v4 and can tell it’s slightly louder than stock v4. 

I would highly recommend. Especially when looking at 1200 dollar cat back systems. 

If if you want loud muscle car rumble then look elsewhere. If you want a bit more than stock and no drone then go magnaflow 22” 12909 or 14909

I paid 165 for the 14909 on eBay after coupon and 80 for local shop to cut out old muffler and flapper. 

I have a 2018 DC SB 4x4 with the 6.2L.  
Is the exhaust 3" or 3.5"?  Would you recommend removing the flapper or just replacing the muffler.  Any amount of drone is unacceptable.  That's my only hold up in doing exhaust changes.

Thanks guys!

14 hours ago, damnthetorpedoes said:
I’m pretty sure they are both full stainless. The 14909 is polished and the 12909 is satin/brushed. 

Did you keep the resonator in place?

Resonator still in place. [emoji106]

What's the difference between stainless steel (polished finish) and aluminized steel (satin finish)?

The main difference between the two is pricing and the outer shell of the mufflers. Stainless Steel cost more than Aluminized Steel. The Stainless steel mufflers have a polished stainless steel shell and are 100% stainless construction. Nothing looks better or lasts longer than stainless steel. The aluminized mufflers have stainless internals and necks but have an aluminized outer shell. Also, the aluminized steel has only a protective coating that, if scratched off, may rust. Both mufflers have identical internal construction and materials and both offer you a lifetime warranty and will give you that Straight-through Wide Open Performance with no restrictions. No restrictions equals better flow, and better flow equals more horsepower. 

https://www.magnaflow.com/support/faqs/general-questions/whats-the-difference-between-stainless-steel-and-aluminized-steel/

Edited by 2009GMC
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 2009GMC said:

Resonator still in place. emoji106.png

What's the difference between stainless steel (polished finish) and aluminized steel (satin finish)?

The main difference between the two is pricing and the outer shell of the mufflers. Stainless Steel cost more than Aluminized Steel. The Stainless steel mufflers have a polished stainless steel shell and are 100% stainless construction. Nothing looks better or lasts longer than stainless steel. The aluminized mufflers have stainless internals and necks but have an aluminized outer shell. Also, the aluminized steel has only a protective coating that, if scratched off, may rust. Both mufflers have identical internal construction and materials and both offer you a lifetime warranty and will give you that Straight-through Wide Open Performance with no restrictions. No restrictions equals better flow, and better flow equals more horsepower. 

https://www.magnaflow.com/support/faqs/general-questions/whats-the-difference-between-stainless-steel-and-aluminized-steel/

I think you’re probably correct based on the price difference. 

I guess there’s a little false advertising by Magnaflow. They list both materials as stainless on the 12909 specifications. https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12909&searchTerm=12909

Either way I don’t see any durability issues with the 12909. I’ve been through two MN winters with it and I was still fooled into thinking it is SS. There’s no sign of corrosion yet. 

Is the exhaust 3" or 3.5"?  Would you recommend removing the flapper or just replacing the muffler.  Any amount of drone is unacceptable.  That's my only hold up in doing exhaust changes.

Thanks guys!

20 minutes ago, paracutin said:

Thanks guys!

You have 3.5” through the muffler. I would recommend removing the flapper. With the 12909/14909 you will not have drone but may notice the V4 “chop” at certain speeds. It’s hardly noticeable but it’s there. 

I have a 6.2L 2016 Denali and experimented quite a bit with sounds..I had a 2008 SD with 6.2L that sounds good stock. I wanted that sound back in my 16. I removed the OEM muffler replaced with a straight pipe and it was too loud for me. So next bought the 12909 and removed the flapper and OEM muffler... A little too quiet still.... Removed the resonator and I finally had the sound of my 08 plus a small amount extra with some throttle. In v4 like stated above not much different than stock with all gutted accept 12909. I haul a 6k RV trailer on occasion and definitely get a little more sound in the cab (no droning) but nothing a little radio doesn't cover. I have had this setup for a 1 1/2 years now and am still happy. I also have cold air intake system and too me she sounds aggressive over 2.5k rpms and mild when I drive in the neighborhood.

The install of 12909 was $85 and paid $80 for the Magnaflow total of $165. Yes I paid for the other items as well but just changing it the muffler and adding straight 3.5" stainless pipe.

Good luck but if you go 12909 I don't think you will regret it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 10:06 PM, GMC_SD_Ult_16 said:

I have a 6.2L 2016 Denali and experimented quite a bit with sounds..I had a 2008 SD with 6.2L that sounds good stock. I wanted that sound back in my 16. I removed the OEM muffler replaced with a straight pipe and it was too loud for me. So next bought the 12909 and removed the flapper and OEM muffler... A little too quiet still.... Removed the resonator and I finally had the sound of my 08 plus a small amount extra with some throttle. In v4 like stated above not much different than stock with all gutted accept 12909. I haul a 6k RV trailer on occasion and definitely get a little more sound in the cab (no droning) but nothing a little radio doesn't cover. I have had this setup for a 1 1/2 years now and am still happy. I also have cold air intake system and too me she sounds aggressive over 2.5k rpms and mild when I drive in the neighborhood.

The install of 12909 was $85 and paid $80 for the Magnaflow total of $165. Yes I paid for the other items as well but just changing it the muffler and adding straight 3.5" stainless pipe.

What did you replace the resonator with? Did you just use a 3.5 to 3" pipe and keep the stock tailpipe piece or replace the tailpipe with 3.5"?

I'm thinking about removing mine as I would like a little more sound to the 12909 but one shop quoted me $500 for mandrel bent 3.5" from the muffler back. I'm not sure why GM choked these down to 3" for the last few feet. 

What did you replace the resonator with? Did you just use a 3.5 to 3" pipe and keep the stock tailpipe piece or replace the tailpipe with 3.5"?
I'm thinking about removing mine as I would like a little more sound to the 12909 but one shop quoted me $500 for mandrel bent 3.5" from the muffler back. I'm not sure why GM choked these down to 3" for the last few feet. 

I did use 3.5" straight pipe. Found a muffler place that mandrel bending machine. Definitely not $500 but don't remember the price. I would find another place to call.

1 hour ago, GMC_SD_Ult_16 said:

I did use 3.5" straight pipe. Found a muffler place that mandrel bending machine. Definitely not $500 but don't remember the price. I would find another place to call.

So far everyone I’ve checked with maxed out at 3” to mandrel bend. I’ll start making some calls again though. My previous Yukon with the 6.2 sounded amazing with the resonator removed. I just need a little more sound from this one to be happy. 

On 12/21/2018 at 10:06 PM, GMC_SD_Ult_16 said:

Where did you find the 12909 for $80.  The absolute best price I have found is $135.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:21 PM, damnthetorpedoes said:

I just measure all of the different exhaust pipes on my truck.  All are 3.5".