AT4 vs Trail boss. Which is the better buy

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the AT4 since I felt like I was getting more for the money. I did not opt for the 6.2 and the 10spd auto. I have a 5.3/8spd, duratracs,  tech package, preferred package and several other options. For me the tech package and the ability to have ventilated seats is what made me buy the AT4 over the Trailboss. Personally I also like the look a lot more. I was out the door for $53,500 including my tax, title and tags (PA) with a  crew cab.  I looked at Trailbosses that were going out the door for a similar cost and I just couldn't justify a similar amount for what I personally saw as less. Both good trucks, just matters on what you like for styling and what you require in options.

• Like 1

I test drove all of the Chevys and wasnt impressed (no offense Chevy owners). My experience actually had me looking at other vehicles and other manufacturers because I was so dissapointed. I test drove an AT4 on a whim last week because I drove past a dealership. It was a completely different experience and I was instantly sold on the AT4. The 6.2 and 10 speed make this vehicle. 

The idea that the Trail boss and better equipment AT4 are just a few thousand dollars difference really is mind blowing. Chevy is either getting rich or GMC is taking a bath...

Edited by Chris walker
  • Like 1

Kinda depends if it's a 'Custom Trail Boss', or a 'LT Trail Boss'.

They have different starting places in the line-up.

Work Truck,    Silverado Custom,    Silverado Custom Trail Boss,    LT,    RST,    LT Trail Boss,    LTZ,    High Country

AT4 slots between SLT and Denali

Sierra,   SLE,    Elevation Double Cab,    SLT,   AT4,    Denali Crew Cab

GMCs usually hold there value a tad bit better on trade.  Also 5.3 was a bit to subtle.  The 10 speed is fantastic on my 6.2 with the Performance Pack.  Very smooth.  For what we are spending on trucks you need to go with your gut and what makes you happy.  Drive em all and see.  I could not do the deal without the 6.2 and the denali was too much bling bling.

• Like 2

Personally I don't like the front end on the Chevy TB and my first truck was a K5 Blazer. I was originally looking at a '19 SLT and then they put me in an '18 Denali and I hated the ride. It was trying to be cushy like a car but then stiff like a truck at the same time. 2 days go by and they send me this pic of a 6.2 AT4 that came in, and I signed the paperwork that night.

First 2 pics is what the dealer sent me

Third pic is how she sits today

I have no regrets on getting the AT4 over the TB or Denalid96e8387f0d6144f9b4be7553a51c7e4.jpg4c492364d152370086330e3cc2a302f4.jpgdf9ff4941a666ba3a40069328c440b6d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

destrade, nice truck.  Only thing I would do is remove the handicapped steps as they get ripped off or destroyed the first time you slide them along some substantial rocks or rough terrain.  They significantly take away the extra ground clearance offered by the AT4 or TB.  I'm not certain why someone would want to lose the extra 2" you pay for when they buy a AT4 or TB with handicapped steps.  I can understand if the owner is truly handicapped.

• Like 1

GM could have offered the 6.2 in the TB and charged 60k and people would  have still bought it 

but since GM has different divisions, they play  hierarchy rules. bs

• Like 1

destrade, nice truck.  Only thing I would do is remove the handicapped steps as they get ripped off or destroyed the first time you slide them along some substantial rocks or rough terrain.  They significantly take away the extra ground clearance offered by the AT4 or TB.  I'm not certain why someone would want to lose the extra 2" you pay for when they buy a AT4 or TB with handicapped steps.  I can understand if the owner is truly handicapped.

Thanks. Yeah I did ditch them and then I took a vacation down to Miami and with girls getting in and out of the truck continuously, so I just put them on for the weekend. I will take them off again but I'm waiting to buy the AMP powersteps first. I think without them it also gives the truck a taller appearance

These pics are from 2 weeks ago, before I got the fender flares e7b46b2e05072275aae84cae9dc37788.jpg4a2fc7095899dbfb13c77a6e20b41b64.jpg

Those 3" Nerf bar steps that hug the rockers would look pretty sick on that truck, they aren't true rock guards though. 

AT4 (and previously All Terrain) are the best looking trim GM has in the line up, for 3 generations running now. Even more so than the Denali IMO. My last 2 personal ones were All Terrains and I will probably have a 3rd in 2020/21. 

6.2L, real aluminum interior trim, not grey painted plastic, better looks, more exclusive. AT4 over TB all day. 

OP, to be quite honest, most 6.2L owners don't NEED the power. But if you are in the market for a loaded truck already, the 6.2L was a $3k option (in Canada) last time I checked which is the cheapest power mod you can do to these trucks, and it is low interest financeable by adding $20-40 on your bi-weekly. Not that I am trying to sell you on it, but if you ended up with one you would not be upset with it I can promise you that. No brainer if you want to add lift or tires down the road, it will just be that much easier on the truck.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Thank you, I believe it was leveled there with Fuel 20x9 +1 offset, wrapped with 275/60/20 KO2’s.
Currently, CST 4.5-5” lift with same wheels but wrapped with 295/60/20 (34”) Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Sent from above

On 2019-04-18 at 1:24 PM, destrada127 said:

Thanks. Yeah I did ditch them and then I took a vacation down to Miami and with girls getting in and out of the truck continuously, so I just put them on for the weekend. I will take them off again but I'm waiting to buy the AMP powersteps first. I think without them it also gives the truck a taller appearance

These pics are from 2 weeks ago, before I got the fender flares e7b46b2e05072275aae84cae9dc37788.jpg4a2fc7095899dbfb13c77a6e20b41b64.jpg

Truck looks awesome bro...nicely done.  Way better looking truck than a Raptor.... Just my honest opinion..

• Like 2

Truck looks awesome bro...nicely done.  Way better looking truck than a Raptor.... Just my honest opinion..
Thanks Joe. I actually used to work for Ford but I was a diesel tech. I really like the raptor but when it came out 10 years ago it looked cool but not as big as my f150 on 37s and triple the price.
When I started looking for another truck late last year, I found out that the raptor no longer has a v8 option. That was an immediate deal breaker for me. No replacement for displacement.
I love my 6.2 AT4 and as my buddy said, "if you're worrying about fuel mileage, don't buy a truck"
It'll take a lot of convincing or a real petty girl to get my new truck this dirty lolb223ee8ecdd92ddad73f528c2675fb5b.jpgc0cbd0d91bdc3816df87adb6e6fd84a1.jpg