Messaging App

• 3 weeks later...

DougFL and I have been thru this. The GM Executive Resolution Team told DougFl if the Message App existed on your Truck when you purchased the vehicle, you as the owner are entitled to the reinstallation of the App if it has disappeared from your screen. The Message App occupies a spot in the Apps drawer if present. If the App has disappeared from your Profiles in the vehicle, email the Executive Resolution Team at [email protected] and state that you had  the App installed in your truck and it disappeared. Now if the truck was built after Feb 2019 [Gm discontinued the Message App at this time], Gm probably will not honor your request. If Gm honors your request, they will place the Message App in your Apps Drawer for a few days to allow you to add it to your profiles. Gm will pull the App after a few days.

Edited by Rocz3cqg
  • Like 1

So what's the benefit of creating a profile? Does it back up the the cloud so you can pull it down after battery replace or swap to a new truck like a Google profile? Or is it just for multiple driver's? I've been using guest for the last month I've owned it. What am I missing?

10 hours ago, UGADawgs said:

So what's the benefit of creating a profile? Does it back up the the cloud so you can pull it down after battery replace or swap to a new truck like a Google profile? Or is it just for multiple driver's? I've been using guest for the last month I've owned it. What am I missing?

Guest is a profile and the Message App should be installed on that profile also. I have the App installed for the wife, Guest and myself making it 3 profiles. The profiles are supposed to be backed up to the cloud while the Infotainment unit will hold the last 4 profiles used. An unlimited number of profiles can be saved to the cloud. The benefit of the profile is that a few of the settings will transfer to another vehicle if capable of handling the profile login.

Edited by Rocz3cqg

2 minutes ago, Rocz3cqg said:

Guest is a profile and the Message App should be installed on that profile also. I have the App installed for the wife, Guest and myself making it 3 profiles. The profiles are supposed to be backed up to the cloud while the Infotainment unit will hold the last 4 profiles used. An unlimited number of profiles can be saved to the cloud.

So if you create a profile, then delete it a few days later, then re-add it, all the favorites and settings will be back? Like SXM channels and bass levels, etc?

Edited by UGADawgs

2 minutes ago, UGADawgs said:

So if you create a profile, then delete it a few days later, then re-add it, all the favorites and settings will be back? Like SXM channels and bass levels, etc?

If you delete a profile, I am assuming the profile on the Infotainment unit and in the cloud will be deleted. Therefore creating the same profile should not have your settings. Now I have encountered my profile gone in the Infotainment unit for some reason and when I logged in using the Id and Password for that Gone Profile, the cloud did provide that deleted profile with my settings.

• Like 1

I am very unhappy with GM's removal of the messaging app. They initially made it worse on the 2019s than in prior GM products by forcing you to reach over to the Infotainment screen to listen to a text. On my 2019 Caddie, a message would appear on the DIC (by the speedometer), and you only had to hit the button on the steering wheel to listen to the text. Easy, safe, and convenient. 

Now they've completely removed the app. I've spoken to the Infotainment reps - who used to be great but now appear totally unconcerned with customer satisfaction. They trasnfer you to Onstar, who doesn't have a clue. My dealership appears to be in the dark about the newest software 'upgrade' which removed the app.

Shame on GM for inserting a bunch of Market place sales crap and removing the very useful messaging app.

After MUCH ADO as per other members in this forum, I was able to get my messaging app restored. GM has dissolved the Infotainment center help department leaving a very large and noticeable void when trying to resolve issues such as this. Not a good move on their part. 

I also recently realized that when they deleted the texting app, they also removed data access by other companies such as Sirius XM. I had been using the Sirius XM traffic and weather app (at a cost of course), but when I realized it was gone, I questioned  the the GM rep who had reinstated my texting, and she had no knowledge of it. Not her fault, but again GM is sacrificing customer satisfaction by cutting corners or just making very poor decisions. I spoke with Sirius XM and was informed that my vehicle no longer is capable of receiving their data packages such as travel link. 

Edited by Unhappy GM owner
Update on messaging app

I've found that if I'm not looking at the infotainment screen or quick enough, the last message disappears before I can engage with it. Also, many times if multiple texts come in, it only shows me one. It becomes dangerous to have to then get the phone and mess with it. If there was within Android auto Messages and WhatsApp icons, it would be much safer.

Edited by UGADawgs

Sent an e-mail to the execreferral address and got a call back saying the messaging app was removed due to bugs and lack of use. I complained that you are advertising the app, dealer said it was available when i purchased the vehicle April 4th. Told me sorry but nothing they could do.

Lo and behold yesterday the app showed up in available apps, downloaded, installed and works as expected. Maybe a change in GM's direction?