Messaging App

On 9/12/2019 at 2:07 PM, JSSNGA said:

Purchased a 2019 Silverado Z71 All Star Edition on August 13. Emailed the exec email address in this thread. Young lady called and told me she would give me a response by the next 2 days. Next call from her wasn't so nice. She told me they could not push the app to my infotainment unit and there was nothing further she could do. Told me I would have to talk to the dealer. The service department where I bought the truck are rude and unhelpful so I am not going that route. BTW I have the base IOR infotainment system with the 8 inch screen (doesn't seem to be the norm for the IOR). No Apps Icon or user profiles. Very disappointed with the infotainment unit in this truck.

Your Radio may not support the Message App. Since you do not have the Apps Icon maybe that is a hint that your unit is not allowed to have that App. If someone on here has the same unit, maybe they can inform us to what they have. The message app was discontinued 2/19 and it was my understanding is if you had it, you were entitled to it if you let GM know.

Fortunately after installing the newest update, my Messaging app remains. Unfortunately, GM 'support team' gave me incorrect information , stating I would lose the app with the new update and  were rude and unwilling to help other than assisting in contacting my dealership. Apparently they think making that phone call was beyond my capabilities. 

It is very sad that such a nice vehicle is overshadowed by extremely poor GM support.

On 9/12/2019 at 9:25 AM, Unhappy GMC Denali guy said:

There is a new update that wants to install on my 2019 GMC Denali. I am concerned that installing this 'update' will once again remove my messaging app. I contacted GM at the number I previously got from this forum. To say they were unhelpful would be a gross understatement. In the past they were extremely apologetic and restored the messaging app and gave me 3 months of WiFi for my inconvenience. This latest batch of representatives were rude and actually hung up on me. They stated that installing the newest update would probably again remove the messaging app and I would have to plug my phone in and use the Android Car Play. I asked to talk to a manager or someone else but was summarily dismissed. GM seems to be going out of it's way to alienate it's loyal customers. STILL an Unhappy Denali owner.

The update did not remove my msg app

On 9/13/2019 at 2:43 PM, Rocz3cqg said:

Your Radio may not support the Message App. Since you do not have the Apps Icon maybe that is a hint that your unit is not allowed to have that App. If someone on here has the same unit, maybe they can inform us to what they have. The message app was discontinued 2/19 and it was my understanding is if you had it, you were entitled to it if you let GM know.

I have the IOR radio and emailed the email address mentioned to see if somehow they could add it. About two days later I got a call from some service rep and I explained what I wanted to do because she didn’t know what I was talking about. She told me she was going to have someone else jump on the call so I can explain it to them. The lady looked up my truck with the VIN number I gave her and she said it supports it and she ‘enabled’ it or something but she said I’ll have to go to the dealership so they can load it up. I still haven’t gone but I’m due for my first oil change so I’ll definitely ask to see if they can load it up. I don’t have high hopes to be honest because the dealership I go to, they suck at anything to do with the trucks computer. They kept my truck over night twice because they couldn’t figure out how to flash the computer to add the fog lights and the other time was because they couldn’t figure out how to add the tow assist package to the computer. Maybe 3rd times the charm? ??‍♂️ They’ll probably have to keep my truck over night just to add the messaging app ??‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2019 at 5:02 PM, Semedar said:

I have the IOR radio and emailed the email address mentioned to see if somehow they could add it. About two days later I got a call from some service rep and I explained what I wanted to do because she didn’t know what I was talking about. She told me she was going to have someone else jump on the call so I can explain it to them. The lady looked up my truck with the VIN number I gave her and she said it supports it and she ‘enabled’ it or something but she said I’ll have to go to the dealership so they can load it up. I still haven’t gone but I’m due for my first oil change so I’ll definitely ask to see if they can load it up. I don’t have high hopes to be honest because the dealership I go to, they suck at anything to do with the trucks computer. They kept my truck over night twice because they couldn’t figure out how to flash the computer to add the fog lights and the other time was because they couldn’t figure out how to add the tow assist package to the computer. Maybe 3rd times the charm? ??‍♂️ They’ll probably have to keep my truck over night just to add the messaging app ??‍♂️

Semedar...Let me know what the dealer says when you get there and if they got the Message App added please. I just called my dealer and the lady told me (kindly at least) that if it wasn't there when I bought the truck they couldn't add it. Tethered Apple Car Play it is for me ?

22 hours ago, JSSNGA said:

Semedar...Let me know what the dealer says when you get there and if they got the Message App added please. I just called my dealer and the lady told me (kindly at least) that if it wasn't there when I bought the truck they couldn't add it. Tethered Apple Car Play it is for me ?

I hear ya.  This tethered crap is ridiculous.  With all the technology available you would think being in the vicinity of the truck would be enough.  

On 9/27/2019 at 1:32 PM, JSSNGA said:

That has been the understanding, if you had it before Feb 2019 and you lost it, you could request a download from GM.

Edited by Rocz3cqg

Just letting folks know I purchased a truck in late September (August 2019 build) and I was able to email [email protected] and get the messages app. I emailed on a Sunday evening, received a call on Tuesday letting me know that have passed along the request to be fulfilled and the app was available for download on Thursday. So, worth a shot for those who have post Feb 2019 trucks. 

I also sent the e-mail,  a lady named Taylor finally called me a week later,  wanted me to e-mail her my VIN, address, how many miles I have on the truck and the name of the dealer I purchased it from,  why they need the last 2 is beyond me but I sent it.  That was 2 days ago, still nothing...

• 6 months later...

Well, I called the resolution person that restored it for me last time and they are saying they will not longer put it back, GM will not restore it. The reason they say it is gone is that the dealer did some updates to the vehicle and the messaging app is not included with the updates that the dealer performs. The poor guy was very apologetic and said I'm far from the first one to call and complain for the second time but GM will not give them the option to add it back anymore and his hands are tied. Of course they said to use Carplay or the Android version in which I knew I could do but when you have an option in a vehicle when you purchased it I do not think they should just take it away. Oh well, not much I can do I guess.