In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

5.3 vs 3.0

My understanding is the 3.0 cost is about the same as the 6.2. $2,500. the 5.3 is not free. I think it's cost is about $1100.  So we are talking about $1400 additional cost? The articles I have read said  that the 3.0 weighs less than the the V-8s. All reviews so far say that the 3.0 460 ft lbs of TQ get the truck around town much better than the v-8s. Some reviews  say the 10 sp tuning matched to the 3.0 is the best driving drive train of the line up. 

Only negative I see is the first year potential issues.  But it has a 5 yr 100,000 mile warranty. That said, I have the 5.3,  6 sp. ,  3.42s and it is a dog. Even after a  tune. If I was buying today, it would be the 6.2 or the 3.0. (To be determined after a test drive of each).  No more 5.3s for me. Two reviews attached. 

https://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2020-gmc-sierra-duramax-diesel-first-drive-smooth-operator

Edited by Stex

1 hour ago, MikeNH said:

Yeah but they do that test up in the mountains. Most of us live a few thousand feet closer to sea level. And it still isn't worth the thousands more you'll pay for it.

"worth it" is subjective... Do you mind explaining why you so definitively claim that the 3.0L isn't "worth it"? By your logic, I could claim that the 5.3L isn't "worth it" for most people when compared to the 2.7L or 4.3L. All of the engines that are offered have their strengths and weaknesses. 

When comparing the two engines for this discussion, I see the following: 

For the 3.0 (all of which cannot be argued)

• Superior fuel economy 
  • Slightly better towing (possibly not max weight, but I will quote what you say above, "it will pull like a freight train")
  • Quickness (although this doesn't matter to me and presumably most truck buyers)
  • Range - both come with a 24 gallon tank

Against the 3.0

• Cost (subjective... a lot of unknown variables)
    • DEF - next to nothing
    • Cost of fuel - Diesel v. Gas - fluctuates... and in my area the spread isn't large. E.g. filled up yesterday for $2.38 v. $2.18 for regular unleaded
    • $2,500 engine option over the 5.3L - again based on the above I doubt you can make an argument that spending $2,500 extra is or isn't worth it in the long run
  • New engine (reliability) - as I mentioned in another thread, who has a crystal ball? Am I an idiot for taking a chance on a first year engine? You have plenty to worry about with your amazing 5.3L as well. You act like nothing has changed to the 5.3L over the last 20 years
  • Maintenance costs - again, subjective at best. Will the 3.0L experience major emissions issues? what about the wet oil pump belt that has to be replaced every 150,000 miles? How will this compare to the 5.3L? 

I am not trying to argue and truly believe the 5.3L is a great engine... Simple minded me just doesn't understand how you can so quickly write off the 3.0L? I would greatly appreciate your insight as to how I am wrong. For now... BYE BYE 5.3L, HELLO 3.0L 

BC99E914-CA5E-45FE-B70C-42030557713E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.248f6e6978278b07d000f0362b6a4533.jpeg

• Like 1

3.0L has the duramax 5 year/ 100,000 mile powertrain warranty....same as it's big brother., vs the 5 yyr/60,000 powertrain on the other engines. 

All will have the 3 yr/36,000 bumper to bumper.

Looks like they are down to one maintainace visit now.  Of course some dealers provide  more.

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE

All 2020 GMC vehicles come with a fully transferable, no-deductible, 5-year/60,000-mile (whichever comes first) Powertrain Limited Warranty. The 1500 Series Light-Duty (LD) pickups equipped with a 3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel and the 2500 and 3500 Series Heavy Duty (HD) pickups equipped with a 6.6L Duramax® Turbo Diesel Engine are covered for 5-years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. See dealer for details.

EDIT --- after posting, I see this info was already posted :mad:

Edited by redwngr

If cost is a significant factor I’d lean towards the 5.3. Purchase price is less, obviously, and dealers have a ton of them on the lot. It will be easier finding exactly what you want and negotiating, in my opinion. 

I have the 3.0 and absolutely love it. I got it mainly because of the superior MPG. It is super quick and a blessing on highway. Love the 10-speed paired with it. 

If you’re more of a gas guy and worried about get up why not look at the 6.2? It’s the same price as the 3.0 (granted premium fuel cost difference which maybe is why you ruled it out). It packs a punch so I hear. 

TLDR: go test drive each and see where your heart rests. The 3.0 is worth it for me but may not be for someone else. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 9:38 PM, larryz71 said:

"worth it" is subjective... Do you mind explaining why you so definitively claim that the 3.0L isn't "worth it"? By your logic, I could claim that the 5.3L isn't "worth it" for most people when compared to the 2.7L or 4.3L. All of the engines that are offered have their strengths and weaknesses. 

• Superior fuel economy 
  • Slightly better towing (possibly not max weight, but I will quote what you say above, "it will pull like a freight train")
  • Quickness (although this doesn't matter to me and presumably most truck buyers)

Against the 3.0

• DEF - next to nothing
    • Cost of fuel - Diesel v. Gas - fluctuates... and in my area the spread isn't large. E.g. filled up yesterday for $2.38 v. $2.18 for regular unleaded
    • $2,500 engine option over the 5.3L - again based on the above I doubt you can make an argument that spending $2,500 extra is or isn't worth it in the long run
  • New engine (reliability) - as I mentioned in another thread, who has a crystal ball? Am I an idiot for taking a chance on a first year engine? You have plenty to worry about with your amazing 5.3L as well. You act like nothing has changed to the 5.3L over the last 20 years
  • Maintenance costs - again, subjective at best. Will the 3.0L experience major emissions issues? what about the wet oil pump belt that has to be replaced every 150,000 miles? How will this compare to the 5.3L? 

I am not trying to argue and truly believe the 5.3L is a great engine... Simple minded me just doesn't understand how you can so quickly write off the 3.0L? I would greatly appreciate your insight as to how I am wrong. For now... BYE BYE 5.3L, HELLO 3.0L 

BC99E914-CA5E-45FE-B70C-42030557713E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.248f6e6978278b07d000f0362b6a4533.jpeg

Where are you getting $2500 from? On anything but an LTZ it looks closer to $5k to me using the build and price. $2500 I'd be a little more open to the idea. Diesel here is usually around the cost of premium so there is a bit of extra cost there. 

I never said the 5.3 was great, it isn't. It's okay and that's about it. I have a 5.3 because it was the only option on this particular truck. I know the AFM garbage will likely be a headache at higher miles and that basically every GDI engine made is gonna need top end work because of the crud that collects on the intake valves but none of that really matters since this truck will be someone else's problem in 3-4 years anyhow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeNH said:

Where are you getting $2500 from? On anything but an LTZ it looks closer to $5k to me using the build and price. $2500 I'd be a little more open to the idea. Diesel here is usually around the cost of premium so there is a bit of extra cost there. 

I never said the 5.3 was great, it isn't. It's okay and that's about it. I have a 5.3 because it was the only option on this particular truck. I know the AFM garbage will likely be a headache at higher miles and that basically every GDI engine made is gonna need top end work because of the crud that collects on the intake valves but none of that really matters since this truck will be someone else's problem in 3-4 years anyhow. 

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The $2,500 I mention is just for upper trims that I guess come standard with the 5.3L, so LTZ+ or SLT+. See the example below. On my AT4 the 3.0 was a 2,495 option over the 5.3L. Sorry for the confusion, it looks like my rant is only to people that opted for high trim levels. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 10.44.20 PM.png

4 minutes ago, larryz71 said:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The $2,500 I mention is just for upper trims that I guess come standard with the 5.3L, so LTZ+ or SLT+. See the example below. On my AT4 the 3.0 was a 2,495 option over the 5.3L. Sorry for the confusion, it looks like my rant is only to people that opted for high trim levels. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 10.44.20 PM.png

Here you go.... Sorry again for the confusion. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 10.53.04 PM.png

I'll add my 2 cents. I picked up a 3.0l 3 weeks ago and it's been great on milage and around town driving. It really is a peppy motor. I came from a 2013 Sierra Denali AWD that had a procharger, headers back exhaust and custom tuned at about 9.5-10lbs of boost. The new truck is definitely slower, but rides so much better. I miss the power of the Denali but once the new 3.0l gets some time on the streets, hopefully tuning and performance parts will get me back some of that "lost" horsepower. Just for reference, I was averageing 11.8 mpg in the Denali and with the short time I've had the 3.0L I'm about 23.5 average with the same driving conditions and same roads to/from work. I drive faster than most as well on the highway too.

Edited by dram1983361

On 3/9/2020 at 9:38 PM, larryz71 said:

• Superior fuel economy 

Against the 3.0

• DEF - next to nothing

Agree with your statements,  I went with the 5.3 mostly because I don't really don't ever pull anything that I would need the extra torque and diesel fuel here in west central IN is currently $2.86 vs $1.77 for gas, which is a fairly normal difference

If the 5.3 had about 30-35 more HP and maybe another 15-20 FT ft of torque , this wouldn't even be a discussion. 

I like the 5.3 , its a work horse and proven engine , but to me its just down on power. Same power levels for about 8 years now.  Majority dont need more power but for the truck guys that compare it vs the competition it has the lowest HP/TQ rating of all 5 liter engines.  Again its not a bad engine but just a little lethargic revving up for me even with the 10 speeds which does help it.  Also as one stated above GM does not help it by only allowing 3.23 which the RAM and Ford give you more gear options . 

New member, just wanted to say that I have the 3.0 with about 2500 miles on it. about 1600 of which are towing between 3500 and 8500lbs. My tows are usually in the neighborhood of 200 mile round trips, and I've been fortunate enough to get between 13-16 mpg while towing, depending upon the load. For my life style the duramax has been a no brainer. I've also had zero issues at the time of this posting. The only down side that I've encountered so far, is that I'm having a hard time trying to track down and purchase the GM recommended oil online, to have on hand for my first service. I'm not one to pay for services that I'm capable of doing myself, but it looks like it may have to take a trip back to Chevrolet, when the time comes.

1 hour ago, nolat1 said:

New member, just wanted to say that I have the 3.0 with about 2500 miles on it. about 1600 of which are towing between 3500 and 8500lbs. My tows are usually in the neighborhood of 200 mile round trips, and I've been fortunate enough to get between 13-16 mpg while towing, depending upon the load. For my life style the duramax has been a no brainer. I've also had zero issues at the time of this posting. The only down side that I've encountered so far, is that I'm having a hard time trying to track down and purchase the GM recommended oil online, to have on hand for my first service. I'm not one to pay for services that I'm capable of doing myself, but it looks like it may have to take a trip back to Chevrolet, when the time comes.

Mobil 1 ESP 0W20

Might have to have a parts store order it in for you.

11 hours ago, nolat1 said:

Your first service - oil change is free, take it to the dealer