1 hour ago, ArTurf said:

Say what, does that apply to all trucks or just the 3.0

All of them. It's included as part of the warranty coverage (dealer submits warranty claim to gm to cover the oil change)

They were providing more than that for a while.

Some dealers provide oil changes beyond what GM covers. 

The hope is that you will get used to using them and continue the practice after the included ones have been used. 

From Chev website:

Chevrolet includes scheduled maintenance visits with the purchase or lease of new 2018-2020 Chevrolet models.
2019-2020 models receive the first maintenance visit within the first 1-year/12,000-miles (whichever comes first)†
2018 models receive two maintenance visits within 2 years/24,000 miles (whichever comes first)†

• 2 weeks later...

Just revisiting this subject...

I had a 19 with the 6.2L.   Mostly do a lot of towing my toys.   The 6.2L never did better than 10 MPG towing my enclosed trailer (2000lbs/but 7ft tall).

Literally just got the 20 with a 3L Diesel to try and save on fuel.  Remember, the 6.2L required premium fuel which is about .50 cents more than diesel in my area.

The gas engines move.  But for towing, man do you pay at the pump.

So, it depends on what its used for I guess ....

On 3/30/2020 at 2:06 PM, steve841 said:

Just revisiting this subject...

I had a 19 with the 6.2L.   Mostly do a lot of towing my toys.   The 6.2L never did better than 10 MPG towing my enclosed trailer (2000lbs/but 7ft tall).

Literally just got the 20 with a 3L Diesel to try and save on fuel.  Remember, the 6.2L required premium fuel which is about .50 cents more than diesel in my area.

The gas engines move.  But for towing, man do you pay at the pump.

So, it depends on what its used for I guess ....

How does your overall MPG compare?

3 minutes ago, AJS2294 said:

How does your overall MPG compare?

Gonna be a bit before I can answer that ...  on lockdown.  I've had it since Saturday and I have yet to reach 50 miles. ?

• Haha 1

I've had several 5.3s. A great engine. I now have a 3.0. Best engine yet. 30MPG. The 460lbs of torque make it feel like youi're driving a big block Chevelle. Only extra expense I see is changing the fuel filter every 30,000 miles. After driving the 3.0 if I had a 5.3 I would be trading soon.  

• Like 3

Just over a 100 miles and averaging about 25mpg with the Duramax.

Bottom line, if you're wanting to holeshot the lights, race up the ramps ... but all means get a gas engine.

If those days have passed, the Duramax is the only way to go.

That's 40%+++ more MPGs than my 6.2L.  You cant make that difference up in fuel savings...  ever!

Edited by steve841

2 hours ago, steve841 said:

Just over a 100 miles and averaging about 25mpg with the Duramax.

Bottom line, if you're wanting to holeshot the lights, race up the ramps ... but all means get a gas engine.

If those days have passed, the Duramax is the only way to go.

That's 40%+++ more MPGs than my 6.2L.  You cant make that difference up in fuel savings...  ever!

Are you saying the increase in MPG outweighs the extra cost of diesel? I have the 6.2 but part of me wishes I had the 3.0 D

6 minutes ago, ArTurf said:

Are you saying the increase in MPG outweighs the extra cost of diesel? I have the 6.2 but part of me wishes I had the 3.0 D

Exactly what I’m saying as related to the 6.2 running premium. The 5.3 not so much.  Hard to make up for a $3k less option.

Premium in the area is about $3.10 vs diesel at around $2.60.

My brother got an AT4 at the same time. I told him go diesel.  The color he wanted had a 6.2. He caved.

2 weeks later, he’s regretting not listening to me. I’ve had 2  6.2s.  Never again. And only because of mileage.

Edited by steve841

• 2 months later...

I have had several 5.3's over the years.  I just picked up the GMC Sierra version of the Baby Duramax AND love it.  I first started looking at diesels about 5 years ago when I was making regular trips between Scranton PA and Central AL.  The 2500HD's are great trucks but I could not justify it, my occasional towing consists of 2 Harleys on a flat bed trailer about 4000lbs.  The 5.3 is more than capable of pulling the load at highway speeds.  I test drove one and was surprised how much more responsive the truck was.  I have put about 1100 miles on the truck and am averaging 21-22 mpg for my daily commute.  Drove to Denver today to see the grand baby and round trip on the highway was just over 32 mpg, by the DIC.  So far loving the TQ and the MPG.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I came over to the 3.0 from the 5.7 hemi.  I loved the ram truck, the ride, the interior, it was a great truck.  I could not find any sort of deal at all on the the ram ecodiesel (generation 3 motor) or I probably would have picked that up just because I love the ram interior and ride.  The 5.7 hemi pulling my rv and snowmobiles every weekend was always redlined over any sort of hill.  I cant even imagine the 5.3 RPMs.  I ended up buying a 06 LBZ just to handle the RV but frankly after riding around in the new 1/2 tons the ride quality on the 06 was crap and I sold it within a year.

Enter the 3.0 and I have to say this thing paired with the 10 speed is a freaking dream drive.  Its quiet, smooth, torquey, and surprisingly quick.  It handles my RV just fine at 1900 rpms cruising on the freeway and no redline everytime I try and go up an incline.  Have not had it in the winter but Im expecting 18+mpg towing 2 sleds couple days a week.

The only real extra expense besides the intitial $2500 will be fuel filters and a couple of dollars for def.  It takes the same quarts on oil as the 5.3 I believe.  Ill make all of that up at the pump easily because it gets about double the MPG towing than my hemi did and probably what the 5.3 would get too.  

All that said, even if I dont tow like I do, Id still probably drive the 3.0.  Its just so damn nice to drive, only wish it had a comparable interior to the new rams.  

• Like 2

I came over to the 3.0 from the 5.7 hemi.  I loved the ram truck, the ride, the interior, it was a great truck.  I could not find any sort of deal at all on the the ram ecodiesel (generation 3 motor) or I probably would have picked that up just because I love the ram interior and ride.  The 5.7 hemi pulling my rv and snowmobiles every weekend was always redlined over any sort of hill.  I cant even imagine the 5.3 RPMs.  I ended up buying a 06 LBZ just to handle the RV but frankly after riding around in the new 1/2 tons the ride quality on the 06 was crap and I sold it within a year.

Enter the 3.0 and I have to say this thing paired with the 10 speed is a freaking dream drive.  Its quiet, smooth, torquey, and surprisingly quick.  It handles my RV just fine at 1900 rpms cruising on the freeway and no redline everytime I try and go up an incline.  Have not had it in the winter but Im expecting 18+mpg towing 2 sleds couple days a week.

The only real extra expense besides the intitial $2500 will be fuel filters and a couple of dollars for def.  It takes the same quarts on oil as the 5.3 I believe.  Ill make all of that up at the pump easily because it gets about double the MPG towing than my hemi did and probably what the 5.3 would get too.  

All that said, even if I dont tow like I do, Id still probably drive the 3.0.  Its just so damn nice to drive, only wish it had a comparable interior to the new rams.  
Less oil 3.0 is 7 and 5.3 is 8. I cant wait to see how it does pulling sleds, that sport is expensive as it is, anything helps.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 11:22 AM, MikeNH said:

Outside of HD trucks, diesels are not fast. It'll be slow but pull like a freight train. The engine will likely add $3000-$4000 to the sticker and as was already said, diesel tends to be more expensive. I'm not sold on diesels in the light duty trucks. It's a tough spot. I want to get back into a pickup myself this spring and I'm a Chevy fan but as much as I like the concept of the Trail Boss, GM has left a lot out of these trucks, including removing stuff 2018s had. Really makes me look toward Ford and Ram. 

Not sure what you mean the Trail Boss is lacking from the 2018 trucks? Are you looking at Custom TB, or LT TB, the LT TB includes tons more stuff than the Custom TB.