Cold air intake system for the 6.2L

aha1987

None that I could find.  But maybe I'm not looking in the right places....

It's pretty annoying actually.  I really want to install one on my truck, as I have the cat-back system on my 6.2, and the intake would finish it off nicely.

T1XX Generation GM changed placement of air intake from passenger fender to driver fender. Guessing this is why aftermarket CAI is taking longer.

The 2007.5 - 2013 GMT900 and 2014 - 2018 K2XX had nearly identical air intake location so aftermarket was able to release options ASAP.

2 minutes ago, 2009GMC said:

T1XX Generation GM changed placement of air intake from passenger fender to driver fender. Guessing this is why aftermarket CAI is taking longer.

The 2007.5 - 2013 GMT900 and 2014 - 2018 K2XX had nearly identical air intake location so aftermarket was able to release options ASAP.

Plus, from the GMT800's up to 2018's the air filter it's self was the same.

Just now, Black02Silverado said:

Plus, from the GMT800's up to 2018's the air filter it's self was the same.

Good ol GM.

If it ain't necessary, don't change it for 20 years. 1999 - 2019.

3 minutes ago, 2009GMC said:

Good ol GM.

If it ain't necessary, don't change it for 20 years. 1999 - 2019.

It is nice.  I keep one air filter on hand for when either my 2002 Silverado needs one or our 2016 Suburban. 

• txab changed the title to Cold air intake system for the 6.2L
1 hour ago, KA0S said:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to design an intake with AutoCAD....

There must be another reason besides the location...

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Maybe it is the fact that if you increase air volume the truck will not run properly until you tune for the new intake.  Since the ECM is still locked down then new aftermarket intakes will not be available until these new trucks can be tuned.  Just a thought.  Since the GM intake comes with an update to the ECM to show a different intake is installed is the reason I'm pointing it out. 

I guess a way to tell is install the GM intake and don't get the update and see what happens.    I was planing on taking my truck to a dyno and getting the results all stock, then install the intake and see what if any changes occur and then have the dealer install the update and dyno again to see what happens.

• Like 1

Maybe it is the fact that if you increase air volume the truck will not run properly until you tune for the new intake.  Since the ECM is still locked down then new aftermarket intakes will not be available until these new trucks can be tuned.  Just a thought.  Since the GM intake comes with an update to the ECM to show a different intake is installed is the reason I'm pointing it out. 

I guess a way to tell is install the GM intake and don't get the update and see what happens.    I was planing on taking my truck to a dyno and getting the results all stock, then install the intake and see what if any changes occur and then have the dealer install the update and dyno again to see what happens.
Makes sense.

I don't see the GM intake as a TRUE CAI, though...So it would be nice to get something soon.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

The GM “cold air” intake sucks air out of the same small hole on the radiator shroud as the stock intake, so it’s more of a loud air intake than anything else.  I could be wrong  but I’d bet the ecm reprogram with the new intake may have more to do with the way the new intake directs air over the mass air flow sensor.  The stock ecm can adjust for more air flow (but since this intake still sucks air out of the same small hole in front of radiator, I doubt it’s necessary) but how the air flows over the maf sensor can sometimes be an issue. 

I could see see a delay in an actual intake that flows more caused by the stock air inlet design and location.  A new radiator shroud or portion of it may be necessary for any actual gains, or a totally different location of the air inlet.  

Edited by SILVER SLED
  • Like 1

The new PCM mapping only accounts for the noisy/sound waves the air coming over the MAF sensor that the new  intake produces.   It reduces the compliance .002% on 2 tables. That is all.

As with most intakes,GM's intake is nothing more than a noise generator. Zero gains in performance and MPG.

Edited by jericbarg
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, jericbarg said:

The new PCM mapping only accounts for the noisy/sound waves the air coming over the MAF sensor that the new  intake produces.   It reduces the compliance .002% on 2 tables. That is all.

As with most intakes,GM's intake is nothing more than a noise generator. Zero gains in performance and MPG.

I take it you are a tuner and have this info from GM?  Not doubting you, I just like to know sources is all.  Kind of like when you right a book report and have to site references.

Downloaded my stock  "tune" as soon as the truck arrived at my house.

After  spending 200+ hours dyno tuning last year, it's not rocket science.

Any tuner can download and see the changes, there are no secrets or hidden scripts.

Healthcare professional by trade but I enjoy building my own HP vehicles and teaching my Son to be a DIY'r.

Edited by jericbarg
  • Like 2