2005 gmc yukon spinning tires

Hey, my 2005 gmc yukon has some odd problems. The suv currently has 215k+ miles on it. The worst of the problems is with the 4wd it wont go into 2wd and automatically locks into 4 wheel high. This doesnt bother me to much but it also  says service 4wd on the dash and im unable to find the problem. It likes to lose traction in any damp condition and it has fairly new tires in the front and good ones in the back. It will spin tires out of a light and sometimes while turning. Im not flooring it eather i almost totaled the suv when driving the other day because it broke completely sideways on a busy road the other day with no puddles but it had rained for a couple hours. Thankfully i saved it but the cop thought it was on purpose. It does have about 200 pounds of car parts in the rear and blown shocks all around

If you're saying it will not come out of 4 wheel drive you need to get it fixed asap.

You're spinning, sliding is most likely bad tires.

4 new tires will a big difference.

Shocks as mentioned will help to.

Glad you're not in my area.

Maybe slow down.

:)

If you want to fix it yourself.. Get it diagnosed first... Steering and suspension parts need to be good.. Good tires and alignment..
This is life or death here and not just your own!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Check your tire tread. Had this issue with my truck with the slightest amount of wetness on the ground. Turning, accelerating from a light, going through roundabout it would break loose. New tires solved this problem

Ryan B.

You said it won't shift out of 4wd, and the service light is on but you can't find the problem. Seems like the truck is telling you there is a problem with the transfer case shifting. Right?
For slippage, old tires can be just as bad as worn tires when it comes to wet grip. Have a tire dealer look up the age of your tires via the serial numbers on them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It will shift out of 4wd but once i start driving it will shift back into 4wd i will go get the tires checked im thinking that might be the problem the suv is just a winter beater so i dont want to put much money into it the whole frame is rusted 

31 minutes ago, Alex Martin said:

It will shift out of 4wd but once i start driving it will shift back into 4wd i will go get the tires checked im thinking that might be the problem the suv is just a winter beater so i dont want to put much money into it the whole frame is rusted 

Alex, what's your life worth?  How about your wife and kids?  Tires are the most important thing connecting you to the road.  Junk tires are dangerous, whether worn out or of a poor design.  You can always sell them when you junk the truck.

Find someone with a good scan tool that can check for the drivetrain codes and see what's going on with the 4WD switches.

Like i said i will go get the tires checked they have tred on them and the fronts are at most 2 months old. Im 18 and work a minimum wage job so its rent or tires. Im not going to just buy tires if its not that i will get it checked out though 

Unless your accelerator is jacked up, losing it on a turn is generally driver error.  You aren’t driving  a Bugatti V12 manual.... but you are driving 24/7 in 4wd which is a pretty awful situation.  its really hard turning when you are locked in like that.

At least you aren’t riding on donuts lol!  

So question for everyone....what is the cheapest and fastest option for him to drop the 4x4 mode and roll in just 2x4?

I wonder if the selector just needs to be cleaned with some isopropyl alcohol swabs

I can tell you its not driver error im light on the gas when i turn if i even hit the gas. I can try cleaning the selector or even just disconecting the driveshaft from the transfer case but i dont know if that will damage the transfer case. I do own a lot of tools since i am a mechanic on the side so im not opposed to actually digging into the thing its just parts prices

If you're getting the message on the DIC , then there are codes stored..
Finding someone to pull the codes will give you a starting point...
Then an internet search or someone here could put you on top of it...
I believe you can repair it yourself.. Getting a proper diagnosis will more than likely save you money.

• Like 1

Has the transfer case ATF fluid been changed? You might check the level, and even change it. If it is a "winter beater" with the frame rusted, sounds like a lot of moisture exposure. Fluids go bad by collecting moisture and breaking down, even just sitting still, but sometimes even worse with infrequent short drives. Seems like a cheap option to try out, before you rip into it looking for broken parts. Good luck, I recall having an 18yo truck maintenance budget. Gives you a whole different perspective on "necessary". ;-)   

There is fluid in the transfer case but i do not know the last time it was changed. My mother drove it since it came off the lot and has a terrible memory. It was daily driven befor i bought it off her. When i get a chance i will change the fluid it looks fine though and when driving i do not hear noise comming from it. Heres a picture of the tread in the rear just so yall know it isnt bald (rear fronts are new)

15462025259878306217817741439789.jpg

There is fluid in the transfer case but i do not know the last time it was changed. My mother drove it since it came off the lot and has a terrible memory. It was daily driven befor i bought it off her. When i get a chance i will change the fluid it looks fine though and when driving i do not hear noise comming from it. Heres a picture of the tread in the rear just so yall know it isnt bald (rear fronts are new)15462025259878306217817741439789.thumb.jpg.bbe00b627f092cee478212bbf74f65aa.jpg  

Well.. You have several issues here.. First.. You are stuck in 4WD...

Second.. Your tires need to be the same circumstance within half inch.. take a piece of string and go around the center of each tire

. Measure

The miss matched tires are causing the transfer case to bind up which makes the wheels spin like you are talking..

Pull the front driveshaft.. see what happens. It shouldn't leak, everything is still sealed.

• Like 1