Suggestions/experience on MPG improvement... Exhaust, CAI, etc?

aha1987

I am looking at any way to improve my MPG on my 6.2L. I am slightly disappointed that I am getting worse gas mileage on this 6.2L vs my previous gen 6.2L

has anyone noticed an improvement in MPG by putting exhaust on their 19 model?

any other recommendations for improvement?

Edited by Aycock1987

How many miles? Should get better with break-in.

Keep tires near max inflation.

Warmups to a minimum. Idling gets 0 mpg.

Winter gas has less energy than summer gas. I notice my mileage dips during winter due to cold temps, warmup, winter blend gas.

There is another post I believe in news section where the 2019+ T1xx is rated 1 mpg lower than k2xx.

I think it’s due to the truck having a larger frontal area than previous generation. Truck is also larger overall. Even though GM said it improved drag coefficient slightly, lighter truck, and DFM.

TFL Truck on YouTube also did a video on this.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2009GMC said:

How many miles? Should get better with break-in.

Keep tires near max inflation.

Warmups to a minimum. Idling gets 0 mpg.

Winter gas has less energy than summer gas. I notice my mileage dips during winter due to cold temps, warmup, winter blend gas.

There is another post I believe in news section where the 2019+ T1xx is rated 1 mpg lower than k2xx.

I think it’s due to the truck having a larger frontal area than previous generation. Truck is also larger overall. Even though GM said it improved drag coefficient slightly, lighter truck, and DFM.

TFL Truck on YouTube also did a video on this.

My truck has 1,600 miles. I was wondering if any aftermarket parts such as exhaust, Cold air Intake, computer chip, etc would help increase it. Even if I could gain 1 extra MOG, I would consider doing what it takes

my trucks MPG is averaging 15 and I am trying my hardest to maximize it

From my experience, CAI and exhaust really only add sound and do not improve economy. 

A custom tune will make the CAI and exhaust more worthwhile since they can customize the fuel mapping for the modifications you have done.

To improve fuel economy I have noticed gains if I drive more relaxed. Get up to speed reasonably quickly and then coast as much as possible. If you see a red light ahead let off gas and coast instead of staying on gas and then braking. 

Drive 65 - 70 on interstate if you can. I can pull down 22 mpg on reasonably flat terrain if I keep speed at 65-70. If I go 80+ then mpg is 18 at best. 

Edited by 2009GMC
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Aycock1987 said:

I am looking at any way to improve my MPG on my 6.2L. I am slightly disappointed that I am getting worse gas mileage on this 6.2L vs my previous gen 6.2L

I have an AT4 with 6.2 and my MPG went way up when I started using 93 octane with no ethanol from Walmart. I also have the factory cat back exhaust. 

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

30 minutes ago, Mardo said:

I have an AT4 with 6.2 and my MPG went way up when I started using 93 octane with no ethanol from Walmart. I also have the factory cat back exhaust. 

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

Dang that is impressive. I use 93 octane though and I don’t get near that 

41 minutes ago, Aycock1987 said:

Dang that is impressive. I use 93 octane though and I don’t get near that 

I also have a bedcover, I think that helps some on MPG. I think the no ethanol helps too.

Edited by Mardo

In my experience, bolt-ons definitely increase performance and economy. They also contribute to lead-foot syndrome which reduces economy.

I think that a cai, exhaust, and a premium fuel tune do wonders for fuel economy, provided that you can keep your foot out of it.

In my old truck (06 2wd 5.3 Silverado) I went from averaging 14-15mpg with 17hwy-mpg to averaging 16-17mpg with 22hwy-mpg with just a k&n air filter, muffler delete, and diablosport 93octane tune. 

12 hours ago, Aycock1987 said:

Control your impulse (right foot) 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 7:28 PM, Mardo said:

I think the no ethanol helps too.

This. I try to use 91 E0 from my favorite Sinclair station whenever possible, gasoline has higher energy content than ethanol (more booms per gallon with gasoline). IIRC a gallon of ethanol will only go 2/3rds as far as a gallon of gasoline. 

Your will waste more money trying to gain 1 mpg than its worth.  Whats more there's are good chance a CAI and performance exhaust will only make you drive more aggressively and that hurt mileage.   Best way to get the best fuel economy?  Leave it 100% stock, learn to live with it or trade it in. 

Experiences of individual truck owners should be taken with a grain of salt. Claims related to HP and fuel economy gains cannot be substantiated.   I believe I got better MPG's because I need to justify the money I spent on all this extra stuff.

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 4

All the 14+ trucks run assuming 10% ethanol so it will still target a 14.1 AFR under idle and cruise even if running non ethanol gas unless fuel equipped. Non ethanol gas is more useful in older vehicles and lawnmowers, 2 strokes etc.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, Aycock1987 said:

Your larger Mud tires are hurting the mileage.....  :smash:   Simple as that. 

• Haha 1