Suggestions/experience on MPG improvement... Exhaust, CAI, etc?

aha1987

34 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Your larger Mud tires are hurting the mileage.....  :smash:   Simple as that. 

I understand that the tires have an effect on MPG but I had the same exact tires and everything on my previous gen and the MPG is worse. I know that it is a totally different truck.

All I am trying to find out is if there are any other remedies out there that could potentially offset the worse MPG other than removing my tires and leveling kit.

22 minutes ago, Aycock1987 said:

I understand that the tires have an effect on MPG but I had the same exact tires and everything on my previous gen and the MPG is worse. I know that it is a totally different truck.

All I am trying to find out is if there are any other remedies out there that could potentially offset the worse MPG other than removing my tires and leveling kit.

Sort of answered your own question but be that as it may....no....you will not find a few bolt on parts that will recover the mileage lost to the tires and lift. Dan is steering you in the right direction sir. You have a choice to make...eh? 

8 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Sort of answered your own question but be that as it may....no....you will not find a few bolt on parts that will recover the mileage lost to the tires and lift. Dan is steering you in the right direction sir. You have a choice to make...eh? 

Correct, it is a Different truck... I am not arguing the fact that it is a different truck. what I am looking for are ways to improve the MPG outside of taking the tires and level off (if there are any other ways). I know there are several products out there that claim to increase MPG but I want to know, from experience, if any of it works.

No real products out there that will increase MPG.  If there were and they worked everyone would be purchasing them. 

When you raise a vehicle the airflow changes and caused more drag under the vehicle.  Just the laws of physics. 

Easiest thing is to drive it the lightest way possible to squeeze out as much MPG as you can. 

If you are looking to improve gas milage, you might look to the products that GM did to squeeze out higher mpgs on the trucks to begin with. My guess is this will be things like air dams, skinny lighter tires, active fuel management, drag coificents, etc. It's a balance game though with performance, looks, and efficiency often on opposite sides.
I'd certainly recommend a tonneau cover and small side mirrors to improve aerodynamics, and keeping AFM on. Beyond that, experiment and post results.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

To help Improve mileage.... install a Pedal Commander Throttle body controller or similar unit.

That way you will not be tempted to floor it at stop lights or signs. And if you do, throttle lag will keep the butterfly from opening more thus reducing fuel usage for combustion.

Reduced pedal action to the throttle body will no doubt increase your mpg.

Have you looked into a tune? I installed a simple SuperChips tune on my lifted 18, 6.2 CC and improved my mileage along with resetting tire size, Speed Limiter etc etc.

Sent from above

Speed is the killer. Air resistance goes up with the square of speed so there is four times as much energy needed to push the truck through the air at 60 mph as at 30 mph. With any new vehicle I spend time finding the sweet spot where MPG is the highest and the speed at which the vehicle's mpg will start to plummet.

For my 2018 Traverse at 60 MPH on the highway I average 30+ MPG. At 72 mph (10% over speed limit) it gets about 24 mpg. With my diesel 2500HD pickup at 60 MPH it gets 18-20 mpg but at 72 mph it drops to 16-17 mpg.

Tires are important and the more aggressive the tread and the larger/heavier the tire the worse the fuel economy will be for any vehicle.

Ethanol is a great scam by Archer Midland Daniels and the other corn industry companies that improves their profits but does so at the expense of motorists. A gallon of ethanol has a Btu or 76,000 per gallon as compared to gasoline at 115,000 Btu per gallon. With a third less energy adding ethanol to gasoline will greatly reduce fuel economy for any vehicle.

A new truck with a larger cab and greater payload and greater towing capacity is not going to come without some costs. Drivetrain gearing is also all over the board with today's trucks. For Chevy 1500 trucks with the 6.2L engine the standard gears are 3.23 but with the tow package the standard gears are 3.42, and that alone could account for a 1 mpg difference in miles per gallon.

• Like 3

In real life, 1 extra MPG is about 50 gallons/year.

So even at 2 MPG less than before, you are spending about $20.00/month more.

I would keep the lift and tires.  Save the money from mods, enjoy the heck out of the truck, and eat the $20.00 per month.

Just my humble opinion though.

Edited by O Town Denali
  • Like 4

After driving 475 km yesterday. I can say that my fuel economy with my '19 AT4 6.2L, is BETTER than what I was getting with my '17 SLT All-Terrain 5.3L.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

After driving 475 km yesterday. I can say that my fuel economy with my '19 AT4 6.2L, is BETTER than what I was getting with my '17 SLT All-Terrain 5.3L.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

I totally agree, the 6.2 isn’t only a power beast but completely destroys the 5.3 in everything except fuel cost haha but makes up for it in more smiles per miles.

Sent from above
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, KA0S said:

You can say it but you can't statistically support it. Not with a single data point. Not with such a small sample. Not without the comparison data. Not without a control set. Data sets like this are not like "I like pancakes".  :seeya: