HELP: `98 c1500 5.7 350 Needs more Power / TRQ!

Hey, all!  I have a question for anyone who know's there stuff about adding HP / Trq to 5.7 350 trucks, and thanks in advance for you info!

Truck is: 1998 C1500 single cab, SWB, Sport 350 (5.7). Truck is 99% stock, only added dual cherry bomb glasspacks. Has 205k miles and still runs great, doesn't burn oil, doesn't smoke or knock, etc. Transmission is Muncie and is about ~2 years old.

If I have about 2 grand to drop on it to add some HP/Trq what's the best bang for buck?

I've been searching around and have been thinking:

1. have it rebuilt into a 383 stroker with an Eagle / Scat kit. That'd almost certainly wipe out all the funds right there, but could add some HP/TRQ and provide a better base to build on later. (Note: engine doesn't necessarily NEED a rebuild, but will eventually)

2. forget the rebuild and get full exhaust (headers > back), CAI, ignition, etc..

So, I'm leaning towards #2, however that presents another question: what's the best bang for buck with bolt-on parts? Heads, ignition, headers, CAI, etc?  Anything I'm missing?

If it was my engine I would install a aftermarket cam and exhaust followed by an ECM program. Since your at 200K, pull the heads and install new head gaskets and install new piston rings and bearings. This will give you a strong, fresh roller to start adding on.

Sounds like a nice rig, post some pictures if you get time.

OP,  not trying to call you out, but you said the transmission was a Muncie roughly 2 years old?  Muncies were 60's and 70's 4 speed transmissions that GM used in their performance cars of that era. I suppose a previous owner could have put in a rebuilt Muncie a couple of years ago, if so was it a M-20, M-21, or the M-22?

4 hours ago, garagerog said:

OP,  not trying to call you out, but you said the transmission was a Muncie roughly 2 years old?  Muncies were 60's and 70's 4 speed transmissions that GM used in their performance cars of that era. I suppose a previous owner could have put in a rebuilt Muncie a couple of years ago, if so was it a M-20, M-21, or the M-22?

You're right. The Trans went out on the previous owner and he had a Muncie replacement. I don't know which of those is in as the receipt doesn't say it. I'll have to try and snag some pictures next time I'm under it and see if I can't tell from the casting code.

6 hours ago, Mikebtte said:

If it was my engine I would install a aftermarket cam and exhaust followed by an ECM program. Since your at 200K, pull the heads and install new head gaskets and install new piston rings and bearings. This will give you a strong, fresh roller to start adding on.

Sounds like a nice rig, post some pictures if you get time.

I am thinking of replacing the intake manifold + throttle body + Cold Air Intake to really open the airways... Does that sound about right?

If so, I imagine I can pull the heads while doing this and knock all of that out. 

3 minutes ago, GBousley said:

I am thinking of replacing the intake manifold + throttle body + Cold Air Intake to really open the airways... Does that sound about right?

If so, I imagine I can pull the heads while doing this and knock all of that out. 

Headers also?

What goes in must come out.

:)

2 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Headers also?

What goes in must come out.

Yes, headers are also on the list: JBA: titanium ceramic coated, long tubes. I'll be rebuilding the exhaust from there, probably keeping the dual cherry bomb glasspacks that are already on (I like their sound).

What I'm running into right now is finding the right intake manifold+throttle body that keeps me within budget. I don't want to go cheap and lose possible power.

5 hours ago, diyer2 said:

In a hurry?

With that amount of miles I would save my money and go stroker from GM.

Do you know of a reputable retailer that I should consider or are you suggesting ordering through chevy dealer directly from GM?  While I am currently building a parts list to replace on my current engine I am still considering saving for a swap or rebuild to 383.

Do you know of a reputable retailer that I should consider or are you suggesting ordering through chevy dealer directly from GM?  While I am currently building a parts list to replace on my current engine I am still considering saving for a swap or rebuild to 383.
Try Summit Racing.. They have been around a long time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, GBousley said:

I think your off to a good start! Being as your at 200K that timing chain has some slap in the future, install a double roller chain and a slightly larger cam & that will wake up that 350.

As also said, headers for sure, if doing exhaust go long tube headers if possible.

I use Summitracing.com for my big orders. Phone in your order and ask if they can help on the price after telling them what you want. Sometimes they knock off 10% and that helps when spending 2K

Edited by Mikebtte

21 hours ago, Mikebtte said:

I think your off to a good start! Being as your at 200K that timing chain has some slap in the future, install a double roller chain and a slightly larger cam & that will wake up that 350.

As also said, headers for sure, if doing exhaust go long tube headers if possible.

I use Summitracing.com for my big orders. Phone in your order and ask if they can help on the price after telling them what you want. Sometimes they knock off 10% and that helps when spending 2K

Thanks! I've added an edelbrock double roller chain to the list. For ~2k I plan on investing in the following:

Volant CAI
JBA headers - titanium ceramic coated, long tube 
Superchips Flashpaq Tuner
edelbrock performer intake manifold #21163
Edelbrock Victor LS series throttle body
edelbrock Victor timing chain

On the tuner, I plan on calling bullydog / diablo to ensure they don't offer one for my truck (the oldest model c1500 they offer is 1999+ but I read that some will work on the gen 3 vortecs 96-98). Again, I'm still not 100% opposed to buying an engine to swap, I'm reluctant because I know less about that process, what types of engines will fit my application and of those which ones offer a better platform to build on vs the others.

If anyone thinks I should still just consider a swap, would you mind suggesting an engine and why?

Thanks!!! 

• Like 1

LS is easy power for the money, that's the main reason for the swap. Companies such as Blueprint build engines like your Vortech to have equivalent or greater power and a well built engine is hard to complete with.

Additionally, if you go LS the parts for an LS are expensive in comparison to your Vortech. Just my 2 cents.