HELP: `98 c1500 5.7 350 Needs more Power / TRQ!

9 minutes ago, riverbanks said:

That intake is for carburetor?

The edelbrock intake manifold should be for my application not a carb. I hope I'm not wrong on that.
Edelbrock # 21163 Performer Manifold, SBC Vortec 1996 and later, Black > https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-vortec-intake-manifold-21163.html?find=1998-chevrolet-c1500-silverado-350cid--5-7l--v8-182081

59 minutes ago, Mikebtte said:

LS is easy power for the money, that's the main reason for the swap. Companies such as Blueprint build engines like your Vortech to have equivalent or greater power and a well built engine is hard to complete with.

Additionally, if you go LS the parts for an LS are expensive in comparison to your Vortech. Just my 2 cents.

I'll call and talk with the techs and see what is required. My hesitancy is based on whether these engines will drop right in and I can use existing manifolds, trottle, ignition, alternator, etc.. basically plug and play. Looking at blueprint, the base engine they offer sounds pretty good as the reviews say it ships with a dyno stating ~400hp. (linked)

edit: saw the notes on that link, looks like it's not oe for my vortec, so that adds some ??? to the swap and some more research I'll need to do in that arena.

https://blueprintengines.com/collections/gm-compatible-crate-engines/products/350-ci-crate-engine-small-block-gm-longblock-bp3503ct1

Edited by GBousley

4 hours ago, riverbanks said:

You got me searching,so if you did the upgraded spider injection system,no more poppets,it will be good up to 400 hp,that's all I would do to the top of the motor,and electric fan would be more gain than cai

Interesting. I'll look into the intake. I have researched the electric fan in the past and as far as I know there was some manual electrical work necessary to get this done. Have they finally produced kits so no manual conversion is necessary? 

Still your intake,but the injection system inside the two piece manifold,yes there are kits,still a little work,but not bad,nice thing with electric fan is your freeing up some h.p.,it's all ready there,and talk above about long tube headers and true dual exhaust with cats,a must have

3 minutes ago, riverbanks said:

Still your intake,but the injection system inside the two piece manifold,yes there are kits,still a little work,but not bad,nice thing with electric fan is your freeing up some h.p.,it's all ready there,and talk above about long tube headers and true dual exhaust with cats,a must have

I have headers on the list and already have dual exhaust setup going through factory Y-pip > factory cats (1 on each pipe) > to 2 glasspacks. Now, I DID have Flowmaster cats on the list and I had planned on rebuilding the exhaust from the headers back with those, but decided to just get the headers for now and reuse the factory Y-pipe+cats. Should I scrap that and get the Flowmaster cats and rebuild / replace all exhaust?

https://www.carid.com/1998-chevy-ck-pickup-exhaust-systems/flowmaster-catalytic-converter-199201624.html?parentsubmodel[]=ENGINE|5.7L

^^ the pics are mismatched in that part, they do have dual cats btw

Good question,I would think true duels will be better,I'm thinking,make it one job instead of two,be done with it,you are saving $ with just a spider upgrade,just trying to think of the best bang for the buck for you,if money no object,all new and powder coated everything,lol

3 hours ago, riverbanks said:

Good question,I would think true duels will be better,I'm thinking,make it one job instead of two,be done with it,you are saving $ with just a spider upgrade,just trying to think of the best bang for the buck for you,if money no object,all new and powder coated everything,lol

Right, those linked cats are true duals, the pics are misleading because it shows both a single cat and dual cat. You select at checkout.

Edited by GBousley

• 1 month later...
On 31/12/2018 at 3:22 PM, Hillwood said:

Try Summit Racing.. They have been around a long time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Summit has GM Performance 383 long block brand new for $4800 if I remember correctly. Free shipping no core and comes with a new distributor, valve covers and oil pan.