GBousley

HELP: `98 c1500 5.7 350 Needs more Power / TRQ!

9 minutes ago, riverbanks said:

That intake is for carburetor?

The edelbrock intake manifold should be for my application not a carb. I hope I'm not wrong on that.
Edelbrock # 21163 Performer Manifold, SBC Vortec 1996 and later, Black > https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-vortec-intake-manifold-21163.html?find=1998-chevrolet-c1500-silverado-350cid--5-7l--v8-182081

Yep,read down,it is for carburetor,and the ls series throttle body is for newer vortec/ls motors

There is probably a article in one of the auto magazine websites,that did what you want to do,car craft,I used to follow, would build everything up, piece by piece,with results for each upgrade,worth a look

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Mikebtte said:

LS is easy power for the money, that's the main reason for the swap. Companies such as Blueprint build engines like your Vortech to have equivalent or greater power and a well built engine is hard to complete with.

Additionally, if you go LS the parts for an LS are expensive in comparison to your Vortech. Just my 2 cents.

I'll call and talk with the techs and see what is required. My hesitancy is based on whether these engines will drop right in and I can use existing manifolds, trottle, ignition, alternator, etc.. basically plug and play. Looking at blueprint, the base engine they offer sounds pretty good as the reviews say it ships with a dyno stating ~400hp. (linked)

edit: saw the notes on that link, looks like it's not oe for my vortec, so that adds some ??? to the swap and some more research I'll need to do in that arena.

https://blueprintengines.com/collections/gm-compatible-crate-engines/products/350-ci-crate-engine-small-block-gm-longblock-bp3503ct1

Edited by GBousley

You got me searching,so if you did the upgraded spider injection system,no more poppets,it will be good up to 400 hp,that's all I would do to the top of the motor,and electric fan would be more gain than cai

4 hours ago, riverbanks said:

You got me searching,so if you did the upgraded spider injection system,no more poppets,it will be good up to 400 hp,that's all I would do to the top of the motor,and electric fan would be more gain than cai

Interesting. I'll look into the intake. I have researched the electric fan in the past and as far as I know there was some manual electrical work necessary to get this done. Have they finally produced kits so no manual conversion is necessary? 

Still your intake,but the injection system inside the two piece manifold,yes there are kits,still a little work,but not bad,nice thing with electric fan is your freeing up some h.p.,it's all ready there,and talk above about long tube headers and true dual exhaust with cats,a must have

3 minutes ago, riverbanks said:

Still your intake,but the injection system inside the two piece manifold,yes there are kits,still a little work,but not bad,nice thing with electric fan is your freeing up some h.p.,it's all ready there,and talk above about long tube headers and true dual exhaust with cats,a must have

I have headers on the list and already have dual exhaust setup going through factory Y-pip > factory cats (1 on each pipe) > to 2 glasspacks. Now, I DID have Flowmaster cats on the list and I had planned on rebuilding the exhaust from the headers back with those, but decided to just get the headers for now and reuse the factory Y-pipe+cats. Should I scrap that and get the Flowmaster cats and rebuild / replace all exhaust?

https://www.carid.com/1998-chevy-ck-pickup-exhaust-systems/flowmaster-catalytic-converter-199201624.html?parentsubmodel[]=ENGINE|5.7L

^^ the pics are mismatched in that part, they do have dual cats btw

Good question,I would think true duels will be better,I'm thinking,make it one job instead of two,be done with it,you are saving $ with just a spider upgrade,just trying to think of the best bang for the buck for you,if money no object,all new and powder coated everything,lol

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, riverbanks said:

Good question,I would think true duels will be better,I'm thinking,make it one job instead of two,be done with it,you are saving $ with just a spider upgrade,just trying to think of the best bang for the buck for you,if money no object,all new and powder coated everything,lol

Right, those linked cats are true duals, the pics are misleading because it shows both a single cat and dual cat. You select at checkout.

Edited by GBousley

On 31/12/2018 at 3:22 PM, Hillwood said:

Try Summit Racing.. They have been around a long time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Summit has GM Performance 383 long block brand new for $4800 if I remember correctly. Free shipping no core and comes with a new distributor, valve covers and oil pan.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Yeti2148
      I am looking for some help here with my truck. Current situation, bought the truck with a no start condition, Discovered Water in the fuel. Drained the lines and put fresh fuel in, started 6-7 times with bad idle then stalled. 8th time started right up drove it around for 30 mins with no codes and prefect idle. Left it idling and went for lunch. Stalled when I was away, could not get it to start. Starting fluid would only keep it going to a few seconds.   Then I changed the fuel filter, It Started perfectly for 15 seconds then stalled. It only attempts to start when I leave it alone for a while.

Vehicle Details 1998 C3500 DRW 5.7 Vortec 180,000 KM  Good condition
      Repairs,
      Fuel Pump
      Fuel Filter
      No codes.

Gift Certificate to the Person Who leads me in the right direction.  
    • By TomBrady80
      I had a great deal on buying my 2015 Silverado LT. It’s not what I wanted (V8, leather, 4WD, etc,) but I’m going to make it work! It’s a beautiful color and I added some black 20” rims and also painted the bowtie black. I have a few more mods I want to do with the lights and adding a backup camera, BUT what I want most is HP!!! I called the local speed shop and they told me there’s really nothing out there for the 4.3L and I wouldn’t be able to notice the small increase with a Cold Air Intke, Exhausts or programming..... Is this true? I mean a few extra (10-15) for each of those mods seems like it would add up? Can anyone give me some advice to get more HP without dropping the obvious V8 I’d love to have to begin with..... 
      Thanks so much in advance!
      TomBrady80

• By '89 Cold Shot
      Good morning.
      I am needing help asap.
      I have an 89 K5 Blazer that I cannot get running.
      History:
      First bought after some one spun a rod completely through the oil pan.
      I know the motor was bad, so I wasnt worried too much about tearing it up. I tried to start to see if everything else worked. i.e. starter, alternator, fuel pump, etc.
      Everything worked. So I immediately shut her down.
      I bought a replacement 350 from a running 94 Chevy 4x4 Pickup
      I put all wiring back in place as they were before. Replaced all fuses, spark plugs/wiring, rotor cap and button, etc.
      Now I have no headlights, slow turn over, wont start. 
      I have removed the fuel line from motor, turned the key and NO GAS.
      I checked the fuel pump relay and its good, checked the fuse panel and its good.
      I know it is a long shot but wth do I look for?
      I am a mom and this is my only vehicle and need to get it running asap.
      By the way, At some point some dipstick turned it into a push start. Turn the key then push the button. 
      I need help asap
    • By topshelfproducts
      CASH TALKS! TEXT ME OR CALL 406-690-537I TO DISCUSS, TEXT PREFERRED AS I WORK OUT OF CELL SERVICE OFTEN.

Selling my beloved 2007 GMC Duramax Diesel, last year of the best of the LBZ model code. No emissions from the factory to deal with, and considered to be the best model of duramax ever made. This is a very clean truck, I looked long and hard to find this, and it is my 3rd lbz GM truck. No leaks no drips no check engine lights nothing. Ready for anything and will last forever, I see these trucks on the forums over a half million miles getting beat on daily and running forever, this has been babied. Yes I am asking over book and considering offers, please realize this truck has had a lot more than the average truck has had put into it. Really like buying a brand new truck with everything completely done. Truck is awesome all around. The front seats are showing light wear but no rips, rears and rest of interior looks like new. A couple light paint chips on the front bumper, and I have all factory touch up paints. That's it for imperfections. THIS TRUCK IS CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. I hate selling, however this truck is such a garage queen it makes it hard for me to justify keeping. I started a new position shortly after purchasing the truck and have a work vehicle I use the marjority of the time. The truck is only used for weekend soccer interstate trips etc.

I am the 3rd owner, first was in california and second was in billings and was an oil worker, and it was a garage queen its life. I purchased the truck and did extensive upgrades and reliability modifications to make it the perfect truck in my eyes. I have spent thousands in upgrades and countless hours and extensive labor charges to get the truck to where it is today. This will make someone a reliable powerful vehicle for many years to come with everything done. Always ran premium diesel and Stanadyne with every fillup.

Truck is fully loaded slt model, every available option except leaking sunroof. Bose stereo, power heated leather etc etc.

I will do my best to list everything I can think of about the truck. I am sure I will miss much as so much has been done it is hard to even remember it all. Everything was done with reliability in mind first, and performance second. I have most of the stock parts as well that have been removed.

Upgrades and performance modifications...
      Allison deep transmission pan and new gasket with all new filters.
      Transgo jr shift kit.
      Fleece all on module
      Duramax store transmission cooler line kit upgrade (replaces notorious oem leaking lines)
      Professionally installed rough country 3" lift kit, including new steering stabilizer, 4 new shocks, new rear block, new upper control arms with better angle for ball joint lift, new torsion keys. Also did new pitman and idler arm at this time and full alignment.
      16" XD wheels with 33" Cooper AT3 tires, maybe 5k miles on tires.
      SDP PCV reroute kit
      AFE Series 2 intake with afe pre filter
      4" MBRP mufflered exhaust with black tip.
      3" MBRP downpipe
      MBRP uppipe
      Sinister EGR delete kit
      Edge Insight Gauge Monitor with egt into passenger side exhaust header. Gauge is mounted in dash pod and professionally wired.
      Airdog 165 lift pump
      Capped resonator
      Fleece headlight modification (allows fogs brights lows driving to all be on simultaneously)
      Full window tint with vent visors.
      2 sets of weathertech floor mats, one still new in box.
      Trailer brake
      Snugtop Topper color matched and fitted for the truck, matches the lines perfect.
      5th wheel rails in bed
      GMC Gatorback heavy duty mudflaps
      Lund chrome nerf bars
      Blacked out led taillights

EFI LIVE by Idaho rob at atp in Idaho, comes with efi live tuner.
      If you are not familiar with efi live tuning take some time to read up on google, it is amazing what it does for these trucks and Idaho Rob is considered among the best tuners in the business.
      Truck was tuned after all modifications were completed and comes with 5 tunes that are able to be shifted on the fly with the dsp 5 switch mounted in the cigarette lighter spot and is tuned for the transmission with shift kit. Tunes range from optimized stock, tow tune with turbo tow brake, 90hp eco, 120 street, and 150 hot race, and are changeable simply by turning the switch from positions 1 through 5. I have used the tow tune and the eco tune primarily, as I get older I enjoy cruising more than speeding. The truck does have the ability to really pull however in the higher tunes. Very clean tuning with almost no smoke except in tune 5 where it will smoke a little when getting after it. Truck has not been rodded, adult owned and driven always.

Maintenance items completed...
      All completed within the last 6 months.
      Repeat drain and fills of both differentials with 500k mile synthetic delo dif fluid.
      Repeat drain and fill of transmission and allison filters using only transynd fluid. (Internal filter also change with the deep pan addition.)
      New oem gm radiator hoses and coolant filled drained and filled multiple times. Hyperlube racing coolant additive added on last fillup.
      New oem thermostats
      Brake fluid flushed twice, filled with Valvoline synthetic brake fluid.
      Power steering flushed twice, filled with blue line synthetic power steering fluid.
      Midas full alignment after lift kit installation.
      4 wheel tire balance.
      Full midas inspection showing everything in the good green category.
      New intermediate dorman problem solver steering shaft and bearing kit (fixes notorious oem clunking steering problem)
      New spicer lifetime greasable ujoints
      All zerks repeatedly greased with lucas red and tacky
      Recharged air conditioning.
      Turbo Vane cleaning done.
      Synthetic oils and oem filters, oem airdog liftpump filters.

Truck is ready to go. Title in hand, lien through local bank which my wife works at and all title work can be done at bank on day of sale.
      I may consider delivery for a fee, depending on how far etc.
      I may consider a partial trade on a cheaper vehicle (under 5kish) with your cash offer. Would need to know all vehicle details.

SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY PLEASE!!! I am working huge hours right now and don't have time for tire kickers. Vin available upon request. Truck is located in billings montana and can be viewed at almost any time. I will try to get more pictures up of the truck as time allows. First picture is current with topper, other pic just to show how it looks without topper.
    • By arkhogs2011
      I have done all I can now I'm going to turn to you guys. have a 350 Vortec in a 96 GMC. I bought this truck about 6 months ago with no problems the engine is a JEGS motor with roughly 17k on it. I got some non ethanol fuel from an 'unknown' gas station and started to have an awful miss at idle. ran injector cleaner through it for about a week nothing helped still soaked plugs 2, 4 , 6, 8, were my problem children. Broke down pulled injectors out and replaced them put cab rotor and plugs in while I was there. Guess what same problem! But this has brought my problem down to only cylinder number 4. Did a compression check every cylinder passed moved on to an intake gasket sprayed brake clean around everywhere there could be a leak and nothing. Now we are to the point that it only does this when I start it hot or cold 90% of the time If I drive it just about any distance this will mostly go away with me only noticing it because I am now looking for it. Plenty of spark and fuel that is all going out of the tail pipe. Also now my only code is an o2 sensor which just started I would assume from all of my hard earn money going out the tail pipe.

Any help or ideas is much appreciated!